Upholstery Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I am on a long term quest to restore the seats in my 1970 FJ40. I'm occupied with brakes right now, but thinking about new seats in the future.

I've done some searches, and am not finding much on this topic.

So, if you reupholstered your own early 40 seats, post up pics and any tips you have. Did you buy premade covers? From where? Or did you start from scratch? Progress pics?

If you paid a shop or someone to do it, post up pics, who did the work, cost, etc.

If you have links to other threads, please post them.

IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG

My first 40 had beautiful, original upholstery. Pics above. I wish I had appreciated it more.

@Rigger those even had the air breather grommets. Dang nice.

The upholstry guy I went to quoted me $1200 for 71 fronts and long jump seats. Charcoal Artic 50 vinyl material and a supposedly really good firm foam. That was 3 months ago so we shall see how it turns out. I'm going to bug him again tomorrow. @TractorDoc recently had all his seats Upholstered.

I may have spare springs if you end up needing any.

Last edited:
I also used the Specter materials for my rear jump seats-my front seats are aftermarket.

Upholstering the jump seats was as easy as pulling on a pair of socks-I can't see the fronts being any more difficult :meh:

I went with the Spector covers as well. I waited for them to go on sale and got them for around $250.
My 45 has the split 40/60 bench.
My foam was still in good condition so I reused it, adding a 1" thick denser layer on the top to get a little extra height. I got the foam from a local auto upholstery place for a few bucks.
I bought a good quality hog ring tool and installed the covers myself. Easi-peasie.

When I did mine Spector was the best place to get the covers, now there maybe other vendors with good quality stuff.

I have a set of seats that are in bad shape. The innards appear to be springs and some material that looks like straw. If I re-do these seats, I assume it will be best to replace the innards with foam. Is that correct?

The earlier seats are easy IMO. I used Cruiser Corps and the cost was reasonable for my 72 bench and back seats. I bought foam from a sewing shop for any areas I thought needed it. 1" and 2". Then trimmed with a razor to fit what I wanted. I maybe spent $400-500 total. Can't remember the exact price. Painting the frames took time. Doing the covers took maybe a few hours.

I made the upholstery from scratch but if I had to do it again would buy the skins and install them.
I had done plenty of upholstery work many years ago but had forgotten how many hours were involved.

Materials to make everything for the front and jump seats totaled $150 - $200.
Cruiser Corp $310 front seat skins and $200 for the jump seats is well worth the price.

The original fabric on the seats was dismantled with a seam ripper to use to make paper patterns
Installation does not require a lot of specialized skill, just some careful prep work to shape the foam.
The fit should be almost impossibly tight during installation.

One trick is to cover the foam cushions with thin plastic film before putting the covers on.
The only purpose is to let the vinyl slide on the foam.
You can use disposable painter's .001"? polyethylene film drop cloth and gift wrap the seats.
Good quality duct tape is adequate for holding the plastic and positioning the foam.

The old coil spring seat frames usually had webbing stitched to the springs to keep them from shifting position.

Seats.JPG

I made the upholstery from scratch but if I had to do it again would buy the skins and install them.
I had done plenty of upholstery work many years ago but had forgotten how many hours were involved.

Cruiser Corp $310 front seat skins and $200 for the jump seats is well worth the price.

The original fabric on the seats was dismantled with a seam ripper to use to make paper patterns
Installation does not require a lot of specialized skill, just some careful prep work to shape the foam.

One trick is to cover the foam cushions with thin plastic film before putting the covers on.
You can use disposable painter's .001"? polyethylene film drop cloth and gift wrap the seats.
Good quality duct tape is adequate for holding the plastic and positioning the foam.

The old coil spring seat frames usually had webbing stitched to the springs to keep them from shifting position.

View attachment 1475570
Man that looks good.

View attachment 1475570

Do you leave the polyethylene inside or slide it out when done?

I had mine custom done here at a local shop. $1000 for fronts, $300 for the Con-Ferr seat. They turned out great. Hopefully that gives you an idea what you should be paying if having done at a shop.

Jason-

IMG_8301.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

Jason, those look super! Thanks for posting.

Not to hijack, but if you are already there: if you can take pics of the early driver's side mechanisms that attach the seat frame to the vehicle/tool box lid, I would appreciate that. Just got seats yesterday for my 1970 and am uneducated on what I still need. SOR.com isn't much help as the line art is too low res to really see what's missing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom