Unique M416 style trailer project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to start with my trailer project that started over a year ago when I found the trailer on the top of a scrap pile... in Japan.

IMG_0805c.JPG

IMG_0804c.JPG

IMG_0793c.JPG

I met with the son of the owner of the scrap yard and worked a deal for $650 (after exchange) for one of the trailers. There were two types, as seen in the pic above, at the yard. One was closer to the M416 design, the other was noticeably shorter with a rack for anti-tank rockets.

Hoisted it into the back of a rental truck and hauled it away.

IMG_0824c.JPG

Now, before I bought it, I noticed that the right tongue bar was cut to make the trailer "scrap," which will need to be fixed.

IMG_0830c.JPG

One great feature...

IMG_0836c.JPG

...is this one has a factory tail gate!

IMG_0835c.JPG

The trailer was built to be pulled behind the Mitsubishi made CJ2 clones used by the JGSDF (Japanese Ground Self Defense Force). A few years ago the Mitsu CJ2's were replaced by the Toyota Megacruzer, and thus replaced the trailer with a newer unit.

Anyone have more info on these trailers?

I am going to build the trailer for expiditions in northern Mn, Wi, and into Canada.

nice,, made in japan?

I am going to have to say yes to that one. I am going to pull the wheels off, check bearing sizes and the normal locations for logos. This way I can see what factory it was built in. I also need to figure out if it will use the same hubs and brakes as the M101cdn and M416's so I can get hubs in 5x4.5. I may start the disassemble for transport to my fabricator to get the holes filled, tongue fixed, etc. I would LOVE to find a set of the military tail lights, but the LED ones we were being issued in Iraq for the M1114's and rewire for 12v. I may just figure out how to repair the Japanese style lights, as those are cool. Trailer even has a license plate light (JDF vehicles have plates too) Need to sort out the wiring to match the 7-pin plug on my Liberty CRD.

turn me loose on that scrap pile! woulda been sweet to bring back all of those trailers !

nice score...looks like a decent pile of junk they have there. the hubs do look like the cdn M101s, but not the M416s as the 416s have a larger diameter dustcap on it. similar in size of the bore hole on the rims youve got. so you should be able to source out 5X4.5 drums..

Awesome find, I am a huge scrounge and I could spend days in that salvage yard. On the Yahoo groups M416 page check out "samath's/samath's" photo album, I believe it is the same trailer.

I gather you are currently traveling in Japan? Are you going to be able to import it back to the states?

Congrats, it will be a fun project.

The 1/4 ton trailers were named that because they would float with 500 lbs. I think the axles are 3500 lb capacity.
I look at that pile of scrap and want to :crybaby:.

Nice find!

scrap pile ? looks more like a gold mine.
good luck on your project

I bought the trailer in Mar of last year just before I got out of the Army. I was stationed at Camp Zama, Japan, which is about 10min away from that scrap yard. I used to drive past it daily on my way to work, when I saw the trailers and jeeps I knew I had to save one. I am quite sure all these items are now in some African nation where most of this stuff ends up.

Because it is a trailer, there are no import regulations to work around, furthermore it was classed as "scrap metal" which is what was on the customs doc's. The government added it to my household-goods shipment so it was free.

The Jeeps are all the Mitsubishi variant of the CJ2 with the high hoods. They had both short box and long box with 2xtwo person jump seats in the back, ala FJ40. There were a total of 2 trailers like mine, and 3 of the low wall type. After looking at my trailer this morning, I noticed the draw bars are a bolt on item. I am going to take the left one to my fabricator friend and have him mirror it for the right side. That will get the trailer ready for towing.

If the axles are rated at 3500lbs from the factory than it is just a matter of hunting down the right brake drums for the swap.

Inner portion of the brake drum is 6.25" in diameter, and I have the measurements for the bearings as well. I may just order a drum for the 416 and one for the 101cdn, and see which one fits.

I had written that pile of S T U F F, but for some reason it (the computer/moderator) thought I was writing s***. What I'm trying to say is: "that pile good:)"

I had written that pile of S T U F F, but for some reason it (the computer/moderator) thought I was writing ****. What I'm trying to say is: "that pile good:)"

It's all good, I got what you meant so no worries!

It was heart wrenching seeing all those jeeps and other bits going to be scrapped... I am just glad I could save one.

Hubs

FYI, the M416 and M101 CDN2 do not share bearings/seals and also have different lug patterns. The M101 CDN2 uses standard 3500 Standen axle components and has a VW lug pattern. There are a variety of hub swaps and hub re-build kits for the M101 because it essentially uses a commercial axel. The M416 has a unique spindle and bearing size, if look a picture of M416 hub it has an unusually large diameter. The M416 does have a 5x5.5 lug pattern, which matches some jeeps. Just looking at your photos I don't think you trailer uses M416 style hubs because the hub looks smaller, similar to other 1/4 ton trailers. The pattern should be 5x5.5 since the CJ 3B did and that is what the Mits jeep copied. If you have questions shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Took the draw-bars and the pintle assy to my fabricator friend today. We are looking at a full fabrication of the cut draw bar to keep the factory look of the piece.

I took some pics of the trailer bits... just need to get off my arse and get them posted.

Well, here are the pics as promised of my axle ends. Tell me what you all think. All pics are around 1mb, so I didn't want to destroy someone's dial up.

lugs are 5x5.5" from what I can tell, and I will need to change them to 5x4.5 to match the tow rig.
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2144.jpg

straight on shot showing the design of the brake drum
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2145.jpg

castle nut, washer, outboard bearing and drum removed.
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2146.jpg

same as above, but with measuring tape for size references
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2147.jpg

inside diameter of the drum, looks right at 6.25"
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2148.jpg

outboard edge of outboard bearing
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2149.jpg

inboard face of outboard bearing
http://freecandyvan.com/corprin/Jeep/M101 Jap/IMG_2150.jpg

Last edited:
lugs are 5x5.5" from what I can tell, and I will need to change them to 5x4.5 to match the tow rig.

inside diameter of the drum, looks right at 6.25"

outboard edge of outboard bearing

inboard face of outboard bearing

If you can get the #s off the inner and outer bearings that will help know if a hub swap will be easy . If not you can always get adapters or have the drums drilled for new studs with the bolt patten you need .

Inboard;
Koyo Hi-Cap
32008J-N
Japan

Outboard;
Koo Hi-Cap
32005JR
Japan

I can't seem to find a Timken/Koyo conversion chart. I may end up just buying a new commercial axle for the trailer to make spares much easier to acquire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom