Ugh. AC not blowing cold (again). Overhaul time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No pics because there really isn't much to photo for an AC overhaul, and other recent AC threads already have good pics, like @Aloha Jen for example, and she is way more photogenic than I. I should have taken a pic of the old crusty evap, but it got tossed.

If you want me to come do your AC, there is a stiff service charge. :oops:

Also, unfortunately, from old habit of using Photobucket photo hosting, which is now gone due to their extorting users for 3rd-party hosting, I will have to re-host all my posted pics here on mud, and go thru all my old pic threads and edit them, as my pic urls are all fubar now.

Last edited:
Hey @jawjatek where did you get the tiny bulb to go behind your blue AC switch button??

Mine went out several years ago, had a couple threads saved about replacing the bulb, but pretty dated info now.

(Ha, just realized what your handle means after typing it, haha, *slaps forehead*) :hillbilly:

Yours is the third time this week of somebody complaining about photobucket. What happened?

@Spike Strip : Pretty much any user pic on photobucket that was referenced from any other site was blocked and replaced with a picture that said "UPGRADE to use 3-rd party hosting" or something like that, and they wanted $399/yr for the privilege. So everyone had to yank pics and re-host on Imgur or some other pic hosting site, as well as edit threads because all the old photobucket urls were now invalid. On mud there is unlimited free hosting, so its best just to upload to mud. Then the pics stay - even if you leave. Note: on a lot of cool old threads, and even archived stickies, the pics are fubar because the long-ago host is now gone and the pics weren't hosted on mud. IMO NO thread should be stickied or added to a faq unless the pics are hosted here.

@Skniper : I bought a box of the little pig-tailed bulbs on line, a dozen I think. You kinda unscrew the little plastic bulb holder from the side of the switch body, install the new bulb on the holder by twisting the legs on there and trimming. The bulb doesn't seem very bright when I tested it by connecting to the battery. I'll send you one for free if you want one (or anyone else, until they are gone) if you PM your address.

@Spike Strip : Pretty much any user pic on photobucket that was referenced from any other site was blocked and replaced with a picture that said "UPGRADE to use 3-rd party hosting" or something like that, and they wanted $399/yr for the privilege. So everyone had to yank pics and re-host on Imgur or some other pic hosting site, as well as edit threads because all the old photobucket urls were now invalid. On mud there is unlimited free hosting, so its best just to upload to mud. Then the pics stay - even if you leave. Note: on a lot of cool old threads, and even archived stickies, the pics are fubar because the long-ago host is now gone and the pics weren't hosted on mud. IMO NO thread should be stickied or added to a faq unless the pics are hosted here.

@Skniper : I bought a box of the little pig-tailed bulbs on line, a dozen I think. You kinda unscrew the little plastic bulb holder from the side of the switch body, install the new bulb on the holder by twisting the legs on there and trimming. The bulb doesn't seem very bright when I tested it by connecting to the battery. I'll send you one for free if you want one (or anyone else, until they are gone) if you PM your address.
Interesting comment about photobucket. Just today I was trying to view pixs on another forum for my other car and was getting that exact message.

And I was only teasing on the AC. I yanked all my components months ago. There are a few decent threads on it. I have wanted to pull the interior piece tho to attempt to clean it out. Unless I'm mixed up, the blower which is part of the system gets loaded w/ dust and makes the heater system less then ideal.

I was only teasing, too, but I don't think anyone got my little joke. ;)

What condenser? I asked (above) if anyone knew of one but got no response.. do tell. Currently planning on cleaning out the old one with some acetone or other solvent to get the oil out and re-using it.

I think I am just going to run the stock condenser and see how it does. I read those threads and there is not a part number in them anywhere, and I'm not going to read all 45 pages. Thanks anyway.

QUESTION: How does the pressure switch wire pigtail route from the inside-out? I mean from the clamp under the evap screw into the box to the switch?

When I removed it, it was coming out where the two pipes exit the evap box and was pinched pretty badly. Does it really go there? Wouldn't it be less strain to drill a small hole and use a tight rubber grommet?

Last edited:
It actually does go out with the two pipes, I just did this job too and forgot how they came out. You will notice a small square notch in one of the openings for the tubes, that little notch is what is supposed to allow the wire to exit the case without getting too pinched. Tight fit but that was the design I guess.

I will be installing a parallel flow condenser (I purchased it from Coolstream) in the next couple weeks. I'll report on the board how it all goes.

QUESTION: How does the pressure switch wire pigtail route from the inside-out? I mean from the clamp under the evap screw into the box to the switch?

When I removed it, it was coming out where the two pipes exit the evap box and was pinched pretty badly. Does it really go there? Wouldn't it be less strain to drill a small hole and use a tight rubber grommet?
That's where mine came out, then it comes up over the top of the box through some screw down clamp on top before plugging in to the other AC wires. It is pinched a bit in that spot between the two pipes, but the foam rubber around the pipes seems to cushion it ok.
IMG_5607.JPG

This is my 1000th post. I wanted to do something special for it, but I guess we will have to settle for a poorly taken picture and some amateur advice.

That's where mine came out, then it comes up over the top of the box through some screw down clamp on top before plugging in to the other AC wires. It is pinched a bit in that spot between the two pipes, but the foam rubber around the pipes seems to cushion it ok.
View attachment 1496407
This is my 1000th post. I wanted to do something special for it, but I guess we will have to settle for a poorly taken picture and some amateur advice.

Well, then post #1001 will have to make up for it. hehe.

Hmmm, OK. Well, I still may drill a small hole big enough to push the connector pins through and RTV it. I don't see a notch for the wire, but thinking about it, I don't think the evap was ever taken out in 30 years (based on how filthy it was) and that must be the stock location. I could use a pic of how the wire harness goes on properly. Here's how mine looks...
full

full

Looks like I need to rotate the pressure switch clamp 180?
@Aloha Jen I'm glad you wasted post 1000 on me!

Oohh man, I can't wait to tear into mine! Keep any relevant pics coming.

Waiting on my new pressure switch I ordered from Onur who is slowly getting up to speed.

Question....For those that are replacing the foam strips that seal the duct work....what product are you using and where are you getting it?

Oohh man, I can't wait to tear into mine! Keep any relevant pics coming.

Waiting on my new pressure switch I ordered from Onur who is slowly getting up to speed.

Question....For those that are replacing the foam strips that seal the duct work....what product are you using and where are you getting it?

Apologies. I'm doing the best I can under very limited infrastructure and support.

I appreciate your patience Chad.

Apologies. I'm doing the best I can under very limited infrastructure and support.

I appreciate your patience Chad.

All good man, no complaints. I have so many projects on my wagon that have come to a head all at once this summer....it's a product of my own procrastination :hillbilly::doh:....so my son is enjoying SE Texas summer in "his" Cruiser with no AC, spewing radiator, shotty power steering, and old BFG ATs that barely have any tread left.......and the new wheels I ordered are on BACKORDER!!! Hahahaaaa

Ready to get my hands dirty. :beer:

...Question....For those that are replacing the foam strips that seal the duct work....what product are you using and where are you getting it?

Also need to know if there is an auto AC type self-stick foam available. I have some gen purpose weatherstripping from Walmart, not sure if it is durable enough for this application.

Exterior rated closed cell foam of the appropriate thickness should hold up fine. It's mainly held in by compression when the pieces are mated.
I used this exterior close cell foam seal from Home Depot, 1inch by 1/4inch tall. This width allowed me to recreate the factory cut like the original piece. The original piece is made of open cell foam but I saw no need to stick with that as this will seal very well.
35119471143_d9d414d0b4_c.jpg

35088756274_f3ab65d854_c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom