U Joint questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am going to swap out the U joints here in the next week and phase the front driveline. On AutoZone's website, they only list the MOOG Super Strength for the front driveshaft. Are the U Joints essentially the same or should I the U joints that are labeled specifically for the rears?

Front and rear are different. Do yourself a favor and order the Matsuba brand from @cruiseroutfit .

We would love to help! Give us a call at CruiserOutfitters.com

I normally order the precision’s from orielly’s. They come with Lifetime warranty, in which I’ve already gone though a couple of sets in the front and 1 set in the rear and they exchanged it. Just a heads up if your rig is lifted especially.

Here's the question. Lifetime warrantee that you have to replace often or higher priced quality that you almost never replace. Time is money

Thought the toyota ones were still available.

Here's the question. Lifetime warranty that you have to replace often or higher priced quality that you almost never replace. Time is money

I priced the Precision U Joints out and they are a little more expensive than the Moog U Joints.

Right now I think I am going to replace the fronts then order rear Moogs for the rear when or if I can find them. The front needs more attention than the rear now. It is making that nice little humming sound, then when I had the window open and rolled back in reverse and put it back into drive I heard a nice clunk sound.

With replacing the U joints after taking the c-clips out I can hit the ends of the U joint to start moving them out using a socket?

Have you googled and read the reviews on these parts?

I’d have to double check the part numbers, but I’m pretty sure I have a couple spare front Toyota u-joints lying around. They won’t fit in that stupid Tatton shaft I run, so I’m willing to part with them.

I tried aftermarket joints from Napa (or maybe it was vatozone) and they sucked.

I tried aftermarket joints from Napa (or maybe it was vatozone) and they sucked.

^^^^^ Yep.

I have the factory originals in my Cruiser still. 310K miles.

Buy the good ones to start with, install them correctly, lube them regularly and they will last a LONG time.

Buy OEM or the ones Cruiser Outfitters offers. Lifetime on those is open-ended if lubricated properly. Replacing U-joints is a pain in the ass. I, for one, don't like to do that more than once every 300,000 miles or so.

I'm in the replace with factory opinion as well. Mog, napa, ect, all had short life spans compared to stock

If it absolutely must come in a red box (ie Genuine Toyota), we stock those as well as the Japanese Matsuba. The Matsuba joints we offer have finished the Baja 1000, King of the Hammers, the PanAmerican Highway and thousands of Cruisers that get wheeled or driven to the office, they are fantastic joint!

If it absolutely must come in a red box (ie Genuine Toyota), we stock those as well as the Japanese Matsuba. The Matsuba joints we offer have finished the Baja 1000, King of the Hammers, the PanAmerican Highway and thousands of Cruisers that get wheeled or driven to the office, they are fantastic joint!

View attachment 1939018

Once I am done with my budget and paying bills I more than likely will pick some of these up. At $37.50 ea is not bad.

The one at the tcase end of my rear driveshaft is original to the truck, so 270k on it, over 100k lifted and because I like to tinker it’s sat at different ride heights several times.

If I were ordering new rear joints I would get them from @cruiseroutfit

The only reason I have OE fronts is because I thought I needed them in a pinch. They’ve been sitting in the trail spares bag for a couple years now, so I have zero issues parting with them. I mentioned it because you’re local to me so if you’re interested, shoot me a PM.

Thought the toyota ones were still available
they are I think I paid about 50 for a rear joint

With replacing the U joints after taking the c-clips out I can hit the ends of the U joint to start moving them out using a socket?

you can but you will need a vice to hold the shaft and a big hammer. also you will need to take the c-clips out of both sides before hammering it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom