U joint question LX-V-80 part numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am unable to source moog u joints in this God forsaken place. I found some on Amazon with part numbers 285 for the front and 389 for the rear U Joints.

Also, here

Like most parts is the LC and LX parts the same number for these two vehicles?

Was going to upload the ripped up U-Joint photos, but the image is too large. Odd they are from a 35mm cannon.

Can you get OEM Toyota U-joints shipped to you??

I am unable to source moog u joints in this God forsaken place. I found some on Amazon with part numbers 285 for the front and 389 for the rear U Joints.

Also, here

Like most parts is the LC and LX parts the same number for these two vehicles?

Was going to upload the ripped up U-Joint photos, but the image is too large. Odd they are from a 35mm cannon.
Why Moog?

If I have a choice for these,
1) Toyota
2) Matsuba
3) Someone.

Agree, no reason not to go with OEM or the Made in Japan Matsuba U-joints.

IME the key to long life of your U-joints is frequent regreasing (at least every 5-10k miles) with a quality grease.

Interesting discussion on correct U-joint installation (watch the videos
if you want to see how the "shop teacher" does it):

Last edited:
Amayama would be something like $130 for all four, plus shipping, so maybe another $20. Makes no sense to pay just as much for Moog.

Went with Cruiser Outfitters for Matsuba units.
Zero issues. 👍

Now how to get the F'in things off. 200k is a lot of years/miles to never be removed. Not enough room for my big wrenches to get in there. Don't remember my 91 being so difficult. Wiil order from Kirk today.

Aside of a bloody forehead I win. Last night sprayed it down and again this morning. Fought the last one to the death.... I WIN ! ! ! ! ! !

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Time for a new DS
Really, doesn't seem destroyed. Let me put on readers and take another look.

You are correct. Now where to source this from... Can I just replace the yolk as it is the spline end?

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

Last edited:
Really, doesn't seem destroyed. Let me put on readers and take another look.
I've heard you can get them from Toyota.

Maybe some other places.

Have you shopped for Moog U-joints lately?

Is that a big grinder gouge on the yolk, and did the fractured post break during removal or was that the problem (fracture line looks old)??

FWIW I attached a photo showing an originally installed U-joint (97 FZJ80) recently pulled that had 250,000 miles on it. Replacing it due to brinneling of one of the spider's posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you click twice on the photo to magnify you can see very slight wear on three of the four posts (can't feel any step where the roller bearings rode on the posts).

One post however, bottom right, has some brinneling. If you look very closely at the flat end of the brinneled post you can see uneven wear on the surface that rotates/wears on the inside bottom of the end cap.

250,000 mile original FZJ80 U-joint:

FZJ80 rear U-joint after 250,000 miles.png

Keeping these joints well lubricated is key to a long life IME/IMHO.

Here's a link with some good photos and discussion of U-joint failures including some U-joint fractures. FWIW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom