U joint question LX-V-80 part numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that a big grinder gouge on the yolk, and did the fractured post break during removal or was that the problem (fracture line looks old)??

FWIW I attached a photo showing an originally installed U-joint (97 FZJ80) recently pulled that had 250,000 miles on it. Replacing it due to brinneling of one of the spider's posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you click twice on the photo to magnify you can see very slight wear on three of the four posts (can't feel any step where the roller bearings rode on the posts).

One post however, bottom right, has some brinneling. If you look very closely at the flat end of the brinneled post you can see uneven wear on the surface that rotates/wears on the inside bottom of the end cap.

250,000 mile original FZJ80 U-joint:

View attachment 3438356

Keeping these joints well lubricated is key to a long life IME/IMHO.

Here's a link with some good photos and discussion of U-joint failures including some U-joint fractures. FWIW

It looked that way when I got under the truck before I even took it apart. Lots of carnage... When I break something, I don't F around. After this I am going to replace all u joints on my 190k 05 tundra. Just because. LOL Time for paranoid Maintenace to commence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom