Two-way scanning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COS80

SILVER Star
Threads
Ford has Forscan (an inexpensive, PC-based, two-way ECU scanning tool)... is there anything like that available for the 80 series?

Side question: does anyone know how to tell if my ECU is running an aftermarket tune?

"Dave."

1703300732095.png

"What are you doing, Dave?"

lol Yeah unlikely there's a 'tune' on that. It'd be a first if there were.
But curious what makes you think so.
Does it run that good??

Last edited:
It stinks of running rich. It's supercharged, and I couldn't find a 7th injector anywhere. Maybe I don't know where to look.

I've read that these engines, with the factory supercharger, are prone to detonation, so it seems logical to have added more more fuel, either with more injection capacity or a tune.

Last edited:
Dam. I'll give you doing it right and proper.
You sure it was born with the S/C?
Is there a VIN designation to prove so? I wouldn't know what that would be.
Heard of factory S/C 1FZ's, but never seen one. It's mythical frankly.
I'd love and hate to be in your shoes.
But stay with it and t-shoot it carefully.
That's a rare bird indeed.
Well done. Especially considering what I knew you in before. 👍👍

It stinks of running rich. It's supercharged, and I couldn't find a 7th injector anywhere. Maybe I don't know where to look.

I've read that these engines, with the factory supercharger, are prone to detonation, so it seems logical to have added more more fuel, either with more injection capacity or a tune.
There’s no 7th injector like the supercharged 3.4s got (also terrible). The ecu “adjusts” for the boost made by the supercharger and its “amazing” is what people on mud are going to say. I’ve been there, done that, and found it to be super underwhelming and not worth 4k. The blower just made the engine bay hot, pulled timing all summer, cost me a lot of money for 91, and marginally made 2,000 -3,000 rpm better. Haltec makes a harness for their 2500, you’ll have to get a little smart and figure out which inputs the the trans needs to shift from the stock ecu, but everything else can be controlled by the haltec. Idk why people seem to be so happy with the stock ecu struggling to stop the motor from eating itself what do I know… im just a dude on the internet.

AFAIK the TRD Supercharger kits were made by Magnuson and sold via Toyota dealers originally but the vehicles did not come from the factory with them installed. There was a re-release of a number of units directly by Magnuson some years ago but AFAIK it's not currently being produced

To the OP, try a search for TRD Supercharger in this forum, I got 50 pages of hits.

FWIW here's a long thread with lots of expert discussion about the 1FZFE engine management, way above my pay grade:

You sure it was born with the S/C?
Is there a VIN designation to prove so? I wouldn't know what that would be.
Heard of factory S/C 1FZ's, but never seen one. It's mythical frankly.
It wasn't. It's the Magnusson/TRD, added by the PO 20kmi ago. If they were sold through Toyota, they're factory, as far as I'm concerned.

There’s no 7th injector like the supercharged 3.4s got (also terrible). The ecu “adjusts” for the boost made by the supercharger and its “amazing” is what people on mud are going to say. I’ve been there, done that, and found it to be super underwhelming and not worth 4k. The blower just made the engine bay hot, pulled timing all summer, cost me a lot of money for 91, and marginally made 2,000 -3,000 rpm better. Haltec makes a harness for their 2500, you’ll have to get a little smart and figure out which inputs the the trans needs to shift from the stock ecu, but everything else can be controlled by the haltec. Idk why people seem to be so happy with the stock ecu struggling to stop the motor from eating itself what do I know… im just a dude on the internet.
Sorry you had a bad experience. Mine's magnificent. It just makes stinky exhaust.

It wasn't. It's the Magnusson/TRD, added by the PO 20kmi ago. If they were sold through Toyota, they're factory, as far as I'm concerned.

There are a lot things that make these engines run bad, all of it basic maintenance that applies whether it's got a supercharger or not. Old O2 sensors, vacuum leaks in old tubing, plugged up old cats, exhaust leaks, etc... Aftermarket O2 sensors are known to cause issues as well. I haven't heard that running rich is a common supercharger thing, seems like most folks are concerned about getting ENOUGH fuel in there, not too much.

The TRD Supercharger is as close to factory as it gets and should work OK without any aftermarket modifications on a '97, I'd get after all the vacuum stuff first make sure you don't have any leaks, and then verify your first O2 Sensor is in good shape. There's plenty of threads here on MUD about the supercharger and specifics on it.

I haven't heard that running rich is a common supercharger thing, seems like most folks are concerned about getting ENOUGH fuel in there, not too much.
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom