Trucks stalls when turning steering Wheel -Nightmare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(Ok,
Brought my 2003 LC to an Indy to replace valve cover gaskets and tensioner, as the truck (with 165K) was squeeking a bit, and it was time...

Got the truck back from him and it now has a hard start problem, and truck loses rpm.s and stalls when coming to a stop. It will also stall when in park and the wheel is turned. Seems to only happen when the engine is hot.

Brought it to the dealer the next day because the Indy was totally lost as to what the problem was. The Indy initially thought it was a vacuum problem, but could not track it down.

Dealer changed out the tensioner assembly and steering pump valve assembly. Picked it up today and after driving for 20 minutes the truck is having the same issues. It stalled at a light when I turned the steering wheel, and was having a hard time starting again after I shut her down . (I have a brand new battery)

Keep in mind, The truck was running perfectly before the Indy touched it.

I could really use some help here. I am out over $1100.00 at this time-

I am going to bring it back to the dealer tomorrow, but am not confident that they know whats going on, and will just throw parts at it.

Thanks for reading......

Is the steering vacuum assist? If so, you may have a vacuum leak.

Listen for the leak and spray some starter fluid where you think it might be. If the engine speeds up, you found the leak.

Steering is hydraulic assist, not vacuum assist. Don't spray starting fluid anywhere on the outside of a running engine. A reputable dealer won't just throw parts at it, they will work with you until it's running right and charge you just for what fixed it. You should, however, get a refund from the indy shop that screwed up. Obviously something the indy shop did was wrong and retracing those steps should get it right.

Check your grounds. Check connections to battery.

I just recently r&r'd my whole steering system. There is an power steering idle control valve that is on the high pressure line on the side of the pump. I broke mine during install and was experiencing the same issue. I would check that valve and the vacuum hoses hooked up to it first.

Check your grounds. Check connections to battery.
Battery post or one or more ground's are certainly a possibility.

If connection isn't snug, turning the wheels may just tilt vehicle enough to wobble a loose connection causing a momentary short.

One comes to mind at back of engine on drive side on 98-02. On my 07 VVTi engine has same plus more on each side on intake.
Not sure how many grounds but here's some on the 07:
This one is on both side IIRC
391.JPG
074.JPG
081.JPG

I just recently r&r'd my whole steering system. There is an power steering idle control valve that is on the high pressure line on the side of the pump. I broke mine during install and was experiencing the same issue. I would check that valve and the vacuum hoses hooked up to it first.
Interesting!

Solved... Turns out the Indy reversed 2 lines -Vapor purge and fresh air line were crossed on the charcoal canister.
Took the Toyota mechanic 3 hours to figure it out, testing every vacuum line and checking the computer.
He even tried changed out the MAF from a managers 2004 that was on the lot to see if that was it.
He finally realized the problem when he smelled gas after the truck stalled on him.
The result of this is a flooded condition(thats why the hard start). The engine was flooded.
Truck did not pull any codes.
The Toyota shop did not charge me to diagnose and fix (although, they had every right to)
Thanks everyone for chiming in

Last edited:
Easy mistake to make.

Glad you got it figured out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom