Events/Trails Trip Report: Death Valley and a Wrecked 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm curious....

Did you and Luke try to restart the truck? I was wondering if it could have actually run and drove it's own way out, even in the condition it was in.

I am glad the pup and the both of you are ok.

I cannot add much to what everyone else has said, thanks for sharing your story and we are all so happy you made it out safely !

As CDan said, A HUGE shout out to Luke and the other folks who helped out. A big reason I drive a Land Cruiser is you, my brothers and sisters, who make this an amazing community. I know I can count on all of you to help me out if I needed it just like I would help you out; thats just how we roll !!

If you need a bumper or any other armor, Luke and the folks at 4x4Labs have most certainly earned your business !

I just have to comment on the absurd focal length and composition of this shot - it makes it look like your rig was an RC model sitting on the ground behind your wife and dog ;)
0nPMAzP.jpg

So glad to hear no one was harmed and that the strength of this community is so perfectly documented.

I am also relieved that no one was hurt....that top(the front pillars)collapsed a lot more than I thought they would. But, in any case, what about the possibilities of a "Project Soft Top"? Cut the top off and have a custom soft top made up. Lots of potential. It would be better than before ;)
ZUK

See this link Convertible 80

015.jpg

evoII-final7.jpg
evoII-final2.jpg
015.jpg

Last edited:
I am also relieved that no one was hurt....that top(the front pillars)collapsed a lot more than I thought they would. But, in any case, what about the possibilities of a "Project Soft Top"? Cut the top off and have a custom soft top made up. Lots of potential. It would be better than before ;)
ZUK

See this link Convertible 80

View attachment 1603250

It is never the end....just the beginning of something else.

@xepyt I am very happy that you, your fiance, and dog all came out of this in good health. Thank you for sharing the story with us. I was a little heartbroken for you guys seeing the crushed 80. Being in the middle of a slow build myself I can only imagine how I would feel. In the end though, it is just stuff that thief can steal and fire can burn. You have your family, and that isn't replaceable.

Luke is everywhere. The Force is definitely with him. What are the chances somebody like him would show up in the middle of nowhere right about the time you could use a hand?

Your quote......
As I walked back to the wreck I noticed our car was flipped right side up. A man walks over and introduces himself as Luke (owner of 4X4Labs), serendipitously he was on holiday in DV as well. He mentions that while we were gone he flipped our car over with his LC100. He quickly took the helm and devised a plan on getting our car out of DV.

I hope that if faced with a similar situation, I would follow Luke's actions and lend a hand, before anyone even asked for it.

Best of luck to you and yours going forward. Better to be lucky than good, sometimes.

Scavengers should be forced to carry the high lift jack and other stuff on their backs and walk out of DV.

How long will it be before your fiancé drives on dirt roads again? I would work to get her back on the horse as soon as you can.

Let me add my thanks that it all turned out so well. As a future note (and having worked at Death Valley NP in the past) if you attempt this trip again, don't get caught with your puppy in the backcountry, on or off leash. The LE Rangers WILL ticket you. Pets are only allowed in the pay campgrounds and only on leash. Hope you make it back to the springs!

Good to hear a 'best case scenario' story direct from the source than the less-than-best narritive we had here prior.

Bummer on the sacked 80, if you get another I'd get her one of her own too - no special reason ;)

--- Too soon?

I just want to add my heartfelt sentiment that I am glad there was no serious injury or loss of life in your accident. That must have been terrifying.

Your story also reminds me of the dangers of weight carried high. Off road, off camber, lifted truck, weight up high...that's a tricky situation. I will remember your story as I consider where I carry things in/on my rig.

After hearing that your fiancé, your dog, and you were in-injured I was able enjoy your write-up. By you handling the situation in a cool and calm manner, you probably re-enforced your (soon to be) wife’s “love” of four wheeling....Thank You! Because I love seeing young families take up off roading.
Like many have said prior- your material possessions are replaceable, but you can never replace your fiancé. (Escpecially one that likes off roading! Lol), Not to mention your pup! My Aussie rides with me all the time!
Anyways, good luck to you as you start your family, and begin a new career. Stories like yours make me appreciate being a LC owner (and IH8MUD member) much more.

I hope someone picked up that cassette tape! It would be a tragedy if it didn't make it out!

Looking at the pics, I think I would not have a good chance of walking away from a roll like this. At 6'6", my head was always touching the hood liner in my 80. No spare room at all! :eek:

glad your fiance is ok, and the pooch, and of course yourself.
Luke is quite the dood.
Loved that you got so much help so fast.

keep us posted on your next build.

Very glad to hear the dog was OK. As well as the humans. Hard on the truck, but it did it's job and kept the worst at bay on a bad day. Thanks for sharing. We managed to trash a rear quarter panel last summer on our truck, was a bummer, but mostly fixable without need for the Hi-Lift. I feel better about that now. It could always be worse....

Glad everyone was ok, There's a bunch of crusiers being parted out in so cal.Might want to see about changing your good parts on to a new rig.Looks like your not that far from me call out if you need help.Was so bum out when I thought the dog had passed. Very happy to hear that was not the case." Good job Luke" no wonder why I buy from your company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom