Trick for stuck differential plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually, the very BEST way to handle this is not to let some moron with an air wrench at The Gusher check or change your differential oils. I have never needed more than an ordinary medium socket to loosen mine because I am the one who installs them. Just like I have never needed an oil filter wrench. Mine come off with one hand in 5 seconds.

The advice on the nonshouldered socket is a good bit though... And remember - don't remove the drain plug until you've loosened the FILL plug first!

DougM

So my question is once you have stripped the 24 mm head, what do you do?

So my question is once you have stripped the 24 mm head, what do you do?

Pound a 23mm on to the head and try. That's what I did.

Pound a 23mm on to the head and try. That's what I did.
Thought about it but didn't try. I guess it's time that I do. Thanks.

Just know that you will have a helluva time getting the plug out of the socket. Probably need a vise and a hammer to get it dislodged.

DON'T POUND THE SOCKET ON TOO HARD! You don't want to break the diff case. It can handle a lot but don't beat it with a dead blow or sledge. Just tap with a hammer.

Guys have used vise grips too.

Broke the first vise grips. Going with the 23mm with ground down shoulders this morning.

I had to do this.

IMG_2115.JPG

A pipe wrench can be useful on the fill plug. I had to resort to that once.

But the weld a nut trick is gold. The heat of the weld alone, usually frees up the stuck plug.

If buggererd use 24mm impact socket, if really buggered 23mm socket, next hammer and chisel, and finally weld a nut on.

Check your washers as well, some are steel and some alloy, change all to alloy, the softer metal yields to surface irregularities and seals up with less torque so easier to remove later on.

Regards

Dave

Most often, stuck plugs are from over-tightening them, torqued to spec they almost always come out easily. On stuck ones, my first step is to pound on the head, attempting to drive it in. This will often additionally crush the seal washer, loosening the plug. The 15/16" socket thing works, combined with an impact, gets almost all of them.

Not a big fan of the Allen/Camry type plugs, digging impacted rock out of them sucks. When they strip, removal options are more limited and the magnet is much smaller on them, so hold less debris. If the plugs are properly torqued, don't see the need, the Cruiser plugs work well.

Did you get it?
Nope stripped further. Bastard doesn't want to give. Have a welding guy coming over tomorrow afternoon to weld a nut/bolt on it. Crazy tight. Bad design.

Start with Heat and PB Blaster before even touching it.
IMG_5006.JPG

Best fix is to replace them with hex key plugs from Whit's End. ...after you get them out with the above mentioned methods. Or n extractor. :cheers:

Best fix is to replace them with hex key plugs from Whit's End. ...after you get them out with the above mentioned methods. Or n extractor. :cheers:

OR you can buy the allen key plug and washer direct from the Onur or some other lesser parts dude....

I totally rounded off my fill bolt on my transfer case a while ago (same exact 25mm shallow bolt). Ended up taking A map torch to the bolt and surrounding area to heat up the female parts ;) , clamped down big vice grips on the head, waited for it to cool, then laid on my back and used my whole body weight hanging on the wrench FINALLY did it.
Replaced all bolts with the allen key style from whits end after that and no problems since.

I did not have access to a welder or that would have been easier probably.

I totally rounded off my fill bolt on my transfer case a while ago (same exact 25mm shallow bolt). Ended up taking A map torch to the bolt and surrounding area to heat up the female parts ;) , clamped down big vice grips on the head, waited for it to cool, then laid on my back and used my whole body weight hanging on the wrench FINALLY did it.
Replaced all bolts with the allen key style from whits end after that and no problems since.

I did not have access to a welder or that would have been easier probably.

24mm. 25mm will round it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom