Trick for stuck differential plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think this may be the easiest way to get that pesky plug out. If you look at the profile of the plug, you'll see that it's not even half the height of any other nut or bolt head in that size. Now look at the socket you're using--it has shoulders sloping inward all around, which means any grip you're getting on the sides of that hexagon is just in your imagination.

I took a 15/16 six-sided socket to my bench grinder and in no time was rid of the shoulders. Took that plug right out.

IMG_0925.jpg

Great tip... I just removed mine and was very careful due to the bolt head being so skinny.

I am replacing all the drain and fill plugs with allen head plugs with magnets. While Toyota, they are not particularly beefy.

Has any body mangled an allen head drain plug on their diffs from dragging on rocks? IOW, are the allen head plugs likely more susceptible to significant rock damage compared to stock hex drain plugs?

I am replacing all the drain and fill plugs with allen head plugs with magnets. While Toyota, they are not particularly beefy.

Has any body mangled an allen head drain plug on their diffs from dragging on rocks? IOW, are the allen head plugs likely more susceptible to significant rock damage compared to stock hex drain plugs?
Where are you getting the allen head plugs? Do you know what size they are?

They're diff drain plugs and your local Toyota partman can hook you up. Less than $10 ea from the dealer

I got all 6 of them for $30 from Georg at Valley Hybrids.

Username on here is OrangeFJ I believe.

Where are you getting the allen head plugs? Do you know what size they are?

I got mine from CDan or Beno. I think they said they were standard on past Tacomas. I ordered the allen drain plugs only for both fill and drain holes, as the allen fill plugs do not have magnets (and I wanted all of them to have magnets). I have had them on my 60 since the 90's. I do not know the thread size/pitch, but the size is not special to land cruisers.

IIRC the correct allen wrench is 10 mm (I always keep a 10 mm allen in rig with a few other tools, and a couple more in the garage). I ordered a quantity of the special plug crush washers too (common to both plug types). The allen plugs have always been easy to get out.

I still want to know if anybody has mangled one of these allen head plugs on a rock. Sorry for the highjack.

Last edited:
I used the box side of an open end wrench. No issues

Try 24 mm deep impact socket from mat co it has no shoulders like that

old SAE tools

I'm sure many of you have found, as have I, that even if there's nothing left in the garage that requires SAE fittings, there are a few SAE will fit some metric applications. In this case the 15/16 was just a teeny tiny bit snugger than the "proper" metric socket. I think this one was inherited from my grandfather's garage.

I haven't had problems with the socket slipping but I now am very carful not to slam my hand into the axle when the plug breaks loose. Lost a fingernail in the process. Great way to start the front axle service.

This is probably only an issue for people buying FJ80's that haven't been serviced since the Clinton administration, like mine. But these things can really get stuck, and if you come across an ancient one, you'll need every molecule of contact you can get on that head. Most people on here are opening theirs up on a regular basis, so just a crescent wrench would probably be fine for that. From what I've heard of the way the Japanese take care of their cars, the designers couldn't have imagined that these plugs would go untouched for years on end.

Looks like an Indestro or Duro Chrome socket, cool! Old school, well made stuff!

Marlin carries the hex plugs as well, provided they're the same every other Toyota uses, and I'm mostly certain they are.

So do All Pro and Trail Gear FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom