Trick for stuck differential plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my question is once you have stripped the 24 mm head, what do you do?
Used a butane torch and hammered the socket on. ,
Make sure the bolt gets really hot...it won’t glow but it should be untouchable. Just did this today maybe a smaller socket...

Used a butane torch and hammered the socket on. ,
Make sure the bolt gets really hot...it won’t glow but it should be untouchable. Just did this today maybe a smaller socket...
Also it is a M18 1.50 bolt found one locally at oreilly in the Dorman help section.

Just buy a Snap On socket

I got mine from CDan or Beno. I think they said they were standard on past Tacomas. I ordered the allen drain plugs only for both fill and drain holes, as the allen fill plugs do not have magnets (and I wanted all of them to have magnets). I have had them on my 60 since the 90's. I do not know the thread size/pitch, but the size is not special to land cruisers.

IIRC the correct allen wrench is 10 mm (I always keep a 10 mm allen in rig with a few other tools, and a couple more in the garage). I ordered a quantity of the special plug crush washers too (common to both plug types). The allen plugs have always been easy to get out.

I still want to know if anybody has mangled one of these allen head plugs on a rock. Sorry for the highjack.

In my old Pinzgauer, yes.

The Pinz uses Allen head plugs on everything. I scraped a few up on the diffs pretty good doing so serious off-roading.

Cheers

Nope stripped further. Bastard doesn't want to give. Have a welding guy coming over tomorrow afternoon to weld a nut/bolt on it. Crazy tight. Bad design.

Not a bad design, just improper installation! Many are over torqued because they are weeping gear oil. Too lazy/cheap to replace washer with a fresh one.

I tried the shaved off bolt trick - it didn’t work for me. I ordered this off of Amazon and then replaced with hex head from @NLXTACY - Wits End.
B6DF99C2-F616-4E37-BFD1-DFFE943577E1.jpeg
166E5495-4E64-4622-AE50-11875EE21BF5.jpeg

I am replacing all the drain and fill plugs with allen head plugs with magnets. While Toyota, they are not particularly beefy.

Has any body mangled an allen head drain plug on their diffs from dragging on rocks? IOW, are the allen head plugs likely more susceptible to significant rock damage compared to stock hex drain plugs?

eventually the ring around the head gets ground down and the plug can be effected. I have had like with welding a mini "slider" to the drain plug ring. This helps reinforce the ring and allows the rock to slide over easier. I would say in general though the allen head plugs are way less succeptible to damage.

I recently had to pull a rear fill plug on a customers truck. Someone had tightened with an air gun. head rounded off. Tried a chisel, nada. Tried welding a nut to it, had issues with keeping them on there. Weld penetration was not good enough. Ran a circular bead on the fill plug and then welded a nut to that. That did the trick and I was able to remove it. Step away from the air gun when installing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom