TRD supercharger questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got TRD SC installed and it is good, 2 question to experts:
1. so I need to do anything to fuel injectors like install BOSH 4 hole or refurbish my original, my rig have only 140K
2. Going to the smaller 2.5" pulley, how much do it gained ?

No need for any additional fuel mods. I went one plug level colder on spark plugs. As far as the 2.5-I thought only 2.6 fit without special machining. There also can be detonation and inefficiency issues around that pulley size so I recommend an intercooler and make sure your cooling system is top notch.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are saying about intercooler - this is TRD low boost about 6-7 PSI supercharger what is intercooler will be coiling with that much pressure it is not like turbo where you have 15 to 25 PSI , you sure about that ? or you just think it is cool to have one?

Generally Superchargers make more heat than turbo's for the same boost made.

Posted via IH8MUD app

That is completely the reverse. Turbos generate more heat. Much higher boost pressure is needed in a turbo for the same bhp due to pressurized air being much hotter, due to conduction from red hot exhaust manifold. That said turbos have a greater capacity to generate horsepower. Both types of systems can benefit greatly from an intercooler.

Rarely do you see a turbo system without an intercooler. There are more supercharger applications without an intercooler than there is with, as the plumbing is far more complex and costly because of confined spaces, not that either type are cheap. An intercooler and associated plumbing restricts the airflow dropping pressure at the inlet to the engine. The wastegate on the turbo can be set to make up for the loss.

The TRD supercharger with standard sized pulley limits the boost to ~5psi to avoid the requirement for intercooling and extra fueling but is not the ultimate in power production. A smaller pulley will require intercooling and other engine management systems the higher the boost defeating the cost advantage of the supercharger. If more horsepower is required skip the supercharger and go to a intercooled turbo system.

No I assure you it is not. and I like always am prepared to back up my words with actual numbers. For the same amount of air a turbo will be cooler than the TRD super, and much cooler than a TRD supercharger with a pulley that puts the compressor off it's efficiency map. Please let me know what the TRD IAT's at full boost are in the elbow immediately after the compressor before the intake.

Posted via IH8MUD app

what is the smallest pulley that can be used without modifying the nose cone?

If utilizing one of the off the shelf Pulley Boys pulleys, the TRD supercharger will accommodate a pulley smaller than 2.6". My guess is that it will go to 2.0".

However, I'm at 2.6" and the SC belt is as loose as I want it currently. I think I can compensate with a larger idler pulley as these are off the shelf items at any auto parts store. I am going to try the size up from stock on the idler to appropriately tension the belt.

I have a boost gauge that needs to be installed prior to installing a smaller pulley as well. My understanding from talking to turbo guys is that I can safely run 12 psi without any change to fuel injection or mapping. (NOTE: I utilize a top mount air to air intercooler engineered to handle the airflow requirements of the 1FZ-FE).

:cheers:
Nick

If utilizing one of the off the shelf Pulley Boys pulleys, the TRD supercharger will accommodate a pulley smaller than 2.6". My guess is that it will go to 2.0". However, I'm at 2.6" and the SC belt is as loose as I want it currently. I think I can compensate with a larger idler pulley as these are off the shelf items at any auto parts store. I am going to try the size up from stock on the idler to appropriately tension the belt. I have a boost gauge that needs to be installed prior to installing a smaller pulley as well. My understanding from talking to turbo guys is that I can safely run 12 psi without any change to fuel injection or mapping. (NOTE: I utilize a top mount air to air intercooler engineered to handle the airflow requirements of the 1FZ-FE). :cheers: Nick

Guys,
I'm interested in supercharging my FZJ80 as well... What is the cost? Is it a pain to install? Can a newb do it? What's the downside/risk of putting one on?

It's about $3000. I haven't done my install yet but it doesn't look bad. Main downside appears to be overheating, but that can be mitigated by cooling system maintenance and choosing the right fan. Tons of threads on this. Search for "supercharger"and you'll find all you want to know and more.

If you could compress the air with no external factors yes, but you can't. You have meshing lobes that create heat to compress the air. This is pretty common knowledge.

"Of the three basic supercharger types, the Roots design historically possessed the worst thermal efficiency, especially at high pressure ratios." - Bell, Corky. Supercharged!. Bentley Publishers, 2001, p. 48.

Like I have said many times hard factual data, that is what people should be asking for. I can provide the turbo data will anyone with a supercharger do the same? It would be quite obvious I think.

Not only that I have shown via the compressor map on the closest M90 that you don't see positive manifold pressure until 2500+ rpms I have shown I have more boost at that rpm with a properly sized turbo. Again, I can provide the data, and I put it out there. No one has shown any different than I have said with the TRD Supercharger.

Last edited:
If utilizing one of the off the shelf Pulley Boys pulleys, the TRD supercharger will accommodate a pulley smaller than 2.6". My guess is that it will go to 2.0".

However, I'm at 2.6" and the SC belt is as loose as I want it currently. I think I can compensate with a larger idler pulley as these are off the shelf items at any auto parts store. I am going to try the size up from stock on the idler to appropriately tension the belt.

I have a boost gauge that needs to be installed prior to installing a smaller pulley as well. My understanding from talking to turbo guys is that I can safely run 12 psi without any change to fuel injection or mapping. (NOTE: I utilize a top mount air to air intercooler engineered to handle the airflow requirements of the 1FZ-FE).

:cheers:
Nick

Thanks Nick!

Any suggestions on where to get a new TRD SC for a '96?

I think that one is gone.

CDan will charge $3299 for the SC assy + shipping.

There are some other "while you are in there" upgrades that are worth it and CDan will discuss these with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom