Builds Trash truck .... a diary and build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh man, this makes me have big feelings.
-it’s funny
-this was an early iteration of the tomato and I still had little idea what I was doing, but it was a fun trip
-it makes me miss her already
I bet and I get it. The really nice thing that you're doing is letting pieces of her help other Land Cruisers stay on the road. It's a much more honorable send off than simply letting her rot away in a backyard somewhere. The good energy lives on.

Last edited:
Well folks … a couple nights ago the Tomato truck left for a knew home. She’ll be living with a guy named Matt down around Colorado Springs somewhere. He’s on Mud but I don’t know his handle, I’ll eventually find it and tag him here. That’s kind of interesting because I was told the tomato sat in a field in Woodland Park, a suburb of the Springs, from the mid 00s until maybe around 2016 or so.

I didn’t plan on this. I was in talks with some people to part it out, which hurt because this truck is a good running driver. Maybe I oversold myself on the rust woes. Ultimately who cares what it looks like, maybe you could call it extreme patina. Heck, there’s a new thread on here with a guy taking a 60 body apart at all the seams to fix the rust. Literally drilling out every pinch weld. Anything is possible and that’s true of the tomato. I’m happy Matt approached me and wanted to buy it, and I’m glad we were able to come to an equitable agreement.

I didn’t think the end of this thread would be so abrupt, but it shook out that way.

It was hard watching him drive it away. My partner and daughter were there at the shop with me and I think we all got a little misty eyed. We had great road trips and camping adventures in that truck. For me I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it, and had a lot of ups and downs (mostly ups). I invested part of my heart into it - I had to, just to have the energy to keep working on it, to keep going.

I’m still daily driving Matilda and it feels similar because the two trucks have the same interior. But I’ll probably still come out of the grocery store or wherever on occasion and be looking for a red 60 instead of a blue one.

Despite all of that, this is the best possible outcome. I’ll encourage Matt to post his progress here on Mud so the torch remains lit, but that’s up to him. Thanks everyone for all your help and input. I’ll see you over on my Matilda thread.

Here’s the old tomato leaving the shop:
4304FACE-2C5E-4D09-BB72-4EB3980B041F.jpeg

E0587018-746E-473E-A9BB-474DAD81CCFA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom