Transmission / Transfer Puller Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I'd share a quick solution.

I didn't have the correct puller in-hand to separate my 4-speed transmission from the transfer case. After obliterating my thumb with a BFH and a plastic block (I was, like an idiot, trying to separate the cases by tapping on the splined shaft), I decided to build this out of about $9 worth of parts.

Puller-001.jpg
Puller-002.jpg

The main body is a 1" X 1" aluminum extrusion, 3/16" wall. I drilled two 7/16" holes at proper spacing to allow clearance of the M10 screws - you can use the thin steel cover that bolts on to this area as a template for hole spacing. Midway between these holes I drilled a 5/8" hole to allow passage of a 5/8-18 bolt. Here is the hardware list from Home Depot:

(2) M10-1.25 X 100mm Bolt
(1) 5/8-18 X 3" Bolt
(2) 5/8" Washers
(1) 5/8-18 Hex Nut

I ground a taper onto the end of the center bolt to help keep it aligned. When you rotate the center 5/8" bolt you'll need to hold the nut stationary with another wrench.

Eventually I'll fabricate a more "legit" version using steel and adjustable slots instead of just thru-holes, but for now this works and I was able to build it with just a drill and a hack saw. Anyways... there you go. Hope this helps someone in a pinch.

BFH - Baaad idea!
Puller- :clap::clap::clap:

Nice fab job - it obviously worked.

I took a 2 jaw puller and welded tabs (with bolt holes) on top of the hooks of this jaw puller. You may see a picture of this tool in an upcoming Toyota Trails issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom