Transmission Identification Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I acquired my FJ40 project from the previous owner, he included a 4speed transmission and transfer case (along with boxes of additional parts I am still trying to figure out what I have, lol) that appears to be rebuilt. He didn't know much about it, just said that the guy he bought the FJ from included it with plans to install.

I am looking to install this very soon as I currently have the tub off, but I do not know what I have. I was hoping you guys can help me figure it out so I will know what I am going to need to install.

Here is the images:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kc4maP] IMG_20160715_194011925 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JfB1qJ] IMG_20160715_193958065 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kc4koP] IMG_20160715_193942227 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JfDsFe] IMG_20160715_193932169 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kc4jHk] IMG_20160715_193918026 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JfAXyG] IMG_20160715_193911950 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

h42 transmission and a "4speed'' transfer.
there should be a date code on the transfer.
all you need is a "4 speed" bell housing to mount it to the engine.

Thanks Brian. I will have to go through the boxes of parts and see if I can find a bell housing.

Personally I would remove the transfer case and inspect the tailshaft of the transmission for wear before I ran it. The sixteen spline is known to wear in the spot the input gear rides. Would also count the teeth of the T case input gear. 29 teeth the earlier lower geared or 31 for 4/75 to 8/80 four speed. The shifter on the T case is the old style. The guide to prevent the T case from going into low gear while in 2WD is for a three which why it loose and not bolted to the transmission. While it's most likely a H42 it could be a H41. I do not know a way of telling which it is without counting rotations in first gear or counting gear teeth inside.

It's an early 4!speed, pre 4/75 based on the trans side cover and t-case linkage. Do yourself a favor and pull the top covers off. This is not a case where ignorance is bliss.

You should really follow @Living in the Past advise and separate the units. And if you're not comfortable with doing that, there are some good lc mechanics in GA that can do it for you.

Personally I would remove the transfer case and inspect the tailshaft of the transmission for wear before I ran it. The sixteen spline is known to wear in the spot the input gear rides. Would also count the teeth of the T case input gear. 29 teeth the earlier lower geared or 31 for 4/75 to 8/80 four speed. The shifter on the T case is the old style. The guide to prevent the T case from going into low gear while in 2WD is for a three which why it loose and not bolted to the transmission. While it's most likely a H42 it could be a H41. I do not know a way of telling which it is without counting rotations in first gear or counting gear teeth inside.
When you say the guide to prevent the T case is for a three, do you mean it is for a three speed transmission? Could this indicate that the transfer case is for a three speed? I looked all over the case for a date of manufacture, but could not find anything. Is there another guide I will need, or a bracket that is made for this application?

Thank you @Living in the Past and @65swb45 for the advice. I do not feel comfortable opening it up, as I wouldn't know what is worn or what is good. I am taking it up to a local shop I trust that works on our company vehicles. Do you guys recommend a place to buy needed parts for this transmission? I noticed I am also missing some bolts off of the top plate and shifter plate. The ones that are there are hand tight, and some appear very old ..... some have a washer and some don't. Makes me wonder what else could be missing. Thanks for the help.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to pull the covers off and have a look-see for obvious signs of damage and/ or rust pitting on gears. It also empowers you when you do take it to a shop to hear THEIR analysis/prognosis compared to your own.

You can get some sense of tailshaft wear by pulling the side pto cover and holding the input gear still while trying to turn the tailshaft. Same for th hi-lo in the t-case.

I looked all over the case for a date of manufacture, but could not find anything.
In your second photo, take a look at the white box. At the level of the top of the box there should be a flat surface on the side of the transfer case with a combination of letters and numbers stamped in. Can you find that? Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

In your second photo, take a look at the white box. At the level of the top of the box there should be a flat surface on the side of the transfer case with a combination of letters and numbers stamped in. Can you find that? Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

And a pic is worth a thousand words .... as they say:
TransferNumber.jpg

That's the number on my transfer shown above (and also the means of decoding it).

:beer:

And here's the stamp on a 3-speed transfer case I sold earlier this year - July 1970 production date, eighth unit that month. It also has the Toyota part number: 36100-60910

Transfer---6.jpg

Thank you @Living in the Past and @65swb45 for the advice. I do not feel comfortable opening it up, as I wouldn't know what is worn or what is good. I am taking it up to a local shop I trust that works on our company vehicles. Do you guys recommend a place to buy needed parts for this transmission? I noticed I am also missing some bolts off of the top plate and shifter plate. The ones that are there are hand tight, and some appear very old ..... some have a washer and some don't. Makes me wonder what else could be missing. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be afraid to try and take this on yourself. As said before it really isn't that difficult. I just finished doing a re seal on my T-case and hopefully I'll be doing my transmission tomorrow. Just take a lot of pictures and you will be fine!

Josh

Thanks for the photo references. The image below is all I could find on it.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/KbJNsT] IMG_20160719_172830878 (Small) by Eric Morris, on Flickr[/URL]

The characters I can make out are "4 I" and below that is "0081" and a "B" to the lower right of the number 0081. Not sure what this means. DO you guys have any idea? Would this be a 1970 model, #81 in February? Seems out of sequence when compared to the other picture.

Thank you @Living in the Past and @65swb45 for the advice. I do not feel comfortable opening it up, as I wouldn't know what is worn or what is good. I am taking it up to a local shop I trust that works on our company vehicles. Do you guys recommend a place to buy needed parts for this transmission? I noticed I am also missing some bolts off of the top plate and shifter plate. The ones that are there are hand tight, and some appear very old ..... some have a washer and some don't. Makes me wonder what else could be missing. Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't be afraid to try and take this on yourself. As said before it really isn't that difficult. I just finished doing a re seal on my T-case and hopefully I'll be doing my transmission tomorrow. Just take a lot of pictures and you will be fine!

Josh[/QUOTE] I appreciate the encouragement! I may give it a go, just want to know what I have so I make sure I get the appropriate manual. I want to make sure everything is correct, as what I have may not even be complete (it is missing bolts on the top plate, and ones that are there appear to be off of something else...hand tightened too). My riding buddies would call me "torque nazi" because anytime I wrenched on my bikes I had to torque to spec, LOL. :wrench::bang:

"4" is for 1974, "I" is for September, so 65swb45 is right on the money, as expected.

And 081 is the 81st unit manufactured that month.

The pic in post 13 shows the early date code which follows the Y M DD standard found on engines, carb, fuel pumps....

So the case I pictured was manufactured on July 8, 1970, not the eighth unit that month. BTW, when did the date code convention change?

And 081 is the 81st unit manufactured that month.

The pic in post 13 shows the early date code which follows the Y M DD standard found on engines, carb, fuel pumps....

You're up late. Must be that muggy weather.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom