Transmission, filter and gasket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gustavocherro.blogspot.com
Hello !!!

I have intentions to change the oil in the automatic transmission of my FZJ80.

Is it advisable to change the filter or this filter can be washed?

Does anyone have the part number of the filter and carter gasket ?

Here in Argentina, not sold Auto Transmission Filter kit´s and I need to ask to Toyota......

Thank´s !!!

Have had several pans off and have never found any significant debris in the filter. If there is significant debris, you likely have issues that a filter isn't going to solve. It's a metal screen, clean and reinstall. I put the pan on with RTV, silicone, form a gasket from the parts store, good to go.

It's a metal screen, not a paper filter. If you adtually drop the pan just clean and reinstall the filter.

If you need to clean the screen no sense in doing that without flushing the fluid from the entire system first before reinstalling a clean screen. Something is making the screen dirty and it will get dirty again if you just drain the fluid and not flush the transmission lines and system.

I inquired about a new screen at my local Toyota spare parts dealer. He quoted me about $230 and after I nearly fell over from shock, he suggested unless it's damaged to just wash and reuse it, just like they do when servicing them.

Thank´s for the answers !!!

The transmission fluid is in excellent condition and has a beautiful red color.
It is a change that I want to do as simply maintenance.
Toyota recommends replace this filter every xx few miles ?

Thanks again

I don't believe Toyota calls for replacing the trans. screen (filter) at any mileage.

Thank´s for the answers !!!

The transmission fluid is in excellent condition and has a beautiful red color.
It is a change that I want to do as simply maintenance.
Toyota recommends replace this filter every xx few miles ?

Thanks again

Hi Gustavo,

It is a good idea to look at the bottom of your pan and filter from an inspection point of view even though you think the fluid is looking good.

I second the comments on the filter itself , it is a metal screen and all it needs is a wash. However there is a small triangular gasket where it fits and one shouldn't really replace it deformed. Might look into making my own next time.

I rang my local dealer and they don't do a gasket for the pan. Indeed the Factory Manual says use a "packing" type sealant. So, reluctantly, I did this, using an RTV brand here called Ultra-Grey Permatex.

Next time when I have spent ages cleaning the sealant off both mating surfaces, I might try a pre-purchased aftermarket TRANSGOLD filter and gasket kit item being advertised on Australian Ebay. I also believe there are US distributors for TRANSGOLD too ?

I realised I didn't get my signature formed in time. My name is Mitch and I have a 93 GXL with an A442F presumably equivalent to yours. Let see how the signature comes out this time ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom