Transfer case whine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danhenk.com
I have a 1978 FJ 40 with a fairly new (like within the last 15,000 miles) Orion transfer case. It emits a low whine, that builds up as I increase the speed, and then goes down as I slow to a stop. This seems to be a fairly new development, but my 454 big block V8 is so loud, I might only have noticed it.
Is this something I should be concerned about? I have an automatic trans-a Turbo 350, so it's not sucking up all the oil.

I will as soon as some of the snow melts, it's a icy disaster out there right now

See post dated May 25, 2016, titled "Transmission/Transfer-case Whine.

So I drained the transfercase today, and there was very little oil in it. No chunks of metal, but again very little oil. I filled it with Redline 90W gear oil. I'll see tomorrow if that gets rid of the whine. Like I stated, the whine is very soft, and mainly is only audible at speeds over 40. With the low oil, I would assume it was the bearings. How tough are those bearings?

yeah, mine emits a mild whine at about 40 and up, it gets incrementally louder, but it's still real minor. Had a CJ5 that was much worse, with a rebuilt like new transfercase.
It had about a 1/2 quart of gear oil in it. I refilled it and took it out today. The whine is still there, but seems even softer, Like I said, its real light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom