Transfer case re-gearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone heard of or seen a kit to regear the transfer case HIGH RANGE of the 80 series permanent 4wd transfer case? It is available for lots of other types of trucks like Nissan, LandRover, Suzuki etc, but I cannot find such gears for the 80 series. I do find low range gearing kits, but I want modified high range gearing, as it would seem easier and cheaper to do compared to changing R&P wich is very expensive.

This seems like a great idea, so there's obviously a major problem with it.

I believe Sumo gears out of japan has such a kit, but not available for our NA rigs as of yet. Talk to Cruiser outfitters, he (Kurt) is the dealer for such gear kits.

I have a EURO spec HDJ80, don't know if the T-case are any different to the american ones?

This was available in Japan and I've encountered a couple trucks with this modification. Here's the pic from the box that was still in one of the trucks. The company info is on the back, not sure if they're still in business but worth checking into.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks, good find, pretty expensive tough, about the same price as a complete R&P kit

If you have a part time case, you can buy under drive gears for the high side. If you have a full time case, well, no one is quite sure yet. I have asked both cruiser outfitters and valley hybrids with no real answer other than they may or may not be able to get them from Japan at an as yet undetermined time in the future.

Why would you want to go into overdrive?
Do you run really small tire sizes? Or the engine is too powerful for your application?

Most people do exactly the opposite.

No one is talking about overdrive except mtc75 who listed something for other cruisers.

Oops, sorry.

If you have a full time case, well, no one is quite sure yet. I have asked both cruiser outfitters and valley hybrids with no real answer other than they may or may not be able to get them from Japan at an as yet undetermined time in the future.

Underdrive and overdrive kits for full time cases for sale in the link I posted: スープアップ 

Thanks, good find, pretty expensive tough, about the same price as a complete R&P kit

Yeah, seems a little pricey. But to get the effective gear ratio, you'd need two R&P kits so it might be a cheaper option for some setups.

Last edited:
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
We have installed a number of the high range OD gear sets offered by Terrain Tamer, usually in vehicles with Diesel engines or with low diff gears in order to bring the freeway cruising RPMs down some.

We also have a few of the OD gear sets in stock. They do not require any internal Tcase modification.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Has anyone heard of or seen a kit to regear the transfer case HIGH RANGE of the 80 series permanent 4wd transfer case?

We have installed a number of the high range OD gear sets offered by Terrain Tamer, usually in vehicles with Diesel engines or with low diff gears in order to bring the freeway cruising RPMs down some.

We also have a few of the OD gear sets in stock. They do not require any internal Tcase modification.

What my partner Georg said :bounce::bounce2:

Available online

HF2AOD-CB Overdrive Gear Set - Cruiser Brothers

And through our installing shops and partner resellers :)

Last edited:
Can someone mark up the above pic with the underdrive gears please? I'm merely curious, as I have the 3:1 low gear set and I'm getting lost in the underdrive vs overdrive semantics.

The low range gear set; usually 3.15:1 is a two gear set.
It includes the smaller gear on the idler shaft/cluster and the larger gear on the output shaft/cluster.

The high range OD or UD gear set replaces the input gear as well as the smaller gear on the output shaft/cluster.

High range underdrive is supposedly in development (or vendor negotiations) planning stage. I'm sure Kurt will let us know when they're available. I might be one of the first guinea pigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom