Transfer case needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, check your motor mounts Steve. You may have lost a side motor mount on the engine and it's flexing enough to hit the shifter on the tunnel and knock it out of gear.

BTW, check your motor mounts Steve. You may have lost a side motor mount on the engine and it's flexing enough to hit the shifter on the tunnel and knock it out of gear.

yeah, and if that goes undiagnosed for long enough it'll create a lot of other problems...like busted radiators and the like, ha ha.

malphrus

OK, so I took my 40 over to my neighbors house (fellow cruiserhead) friday and we dropped the tranny and tcase, the good news is it looks like the reason it was coming out of 4wd was the linkage was hitting against the case not allowing full engagement, so hopefully a simple adjustment should keep that from happening again. The bad news is the pilot bearing was was shredded to pieces so we took the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel off and everything looked good except I wasnt getting the best vibes from the the throw out bearing so it will get replaced. Here are some pics the first one is a pic of where the linkage was hitting the case, I hope it is legible.

Last edited:
Crap, files are to big I'll try to post up a link.

Sweet, I'll send them youre way.

Here you go.

2007_0524Image0058.JPG

2007_0524Image0056.JPG

Hmmm....wrong year shifter linkage maybe? That's odd that it would hit unless it was bent. It looks like it's too long though, which would tell me it's the wrong year.

Steve, do you still want to have a wrench-a-thon over a rutbeer's some time? I think it would be nice to get the crowd together to do something productive and we can all learn at the same time.

Yeah sounds good, whenever works good for rutbeer works good for me. The seals came in from cruiserdan last week, so all that is left to do is seperate the tranny and t-case. Thanks again Marshall for posting the pics for me. The linkage has a little bit of a bend in it but I dont know if its bent bad enough to cause the problem. The good news is there looks to be enough adjustment room to cure it if that is it.

I can do this saturday....garage is a bit cramped at the moment, but I can make do.

i will be in charlotte this weekend, but i'm open next.....not that i really matter, i'm just there to observe and assist.

i will be in charlotte this weekend, but i'm open next.....not that i really matter, i'm just there to observe and assist.

The bigger question is are you going to be in Charlotte the last weekend in July?? :cool:

Im good either way, what ever works good for you all works good for me, just tell me when to show up and what kind of refreshments( aka beer ) to bring.:)

Saturday after the 4th seems to be a better fit for most. I just need to dbl check with my boss.:princess:

Unfortunately, I had to change my plans. I was cleaning my tranny up the other night, when I decided to go ahead and clean the new t-case up and be ready for the rebuild, when after removing several layers of dirt I started noticing some subtle differences in the 2 t-cases. My neighbor that gave me the new case to rebuild thought it was a 4spd case and turns out its 3spd case:doh:. Thankfully RK still had a tranny 4spd t-case combo that I purchased this weekend, My old tranny is still good but I figure It will be easier just to swap out with this new unit all together and plus I'll have a whole extra set for parts if needed. Big thanks to rutbeer, concrete jungle and jfz80 for being ready willing and able to help me rebuild the case, I hope this hasnt put a kink in anyones plans and I may still need to pick youre brains on the install and I would like to get together with everybody one of these days for any wrenching projects. I will be sure to post some more pictures of the install.

Bill may be interested in your spare 3spd case if you won't be using it. I don't think he needs the whole thing though....probably just the front drive shift fork and housing for that.

Alright, so Im happy to say that the 40 is up and running. Got everything back together yesterday after wrenching for 8 1/2 hours straight, and im paying for it today, my neck is killing me, I just dont think the human body was meant to lay under a 40 that long. It took 3 hours on Friday to get all the mud and gunk off the one I picked up for the switch, so I started the day off on Saturday by switching some parts off my old tranny/t-case to the new one I picked up from R.K. after that I had to replace the pilot bearing because the old one was shredded, then the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate went back on and thankfully they were all in very good shape so no replacements were needed, but I did go ahead and replace the throwout bearing. After we got all of that lined up and back together it was time to put the tranny/t-case back on and after some on the spot ingenuity we were able to get it lifted up and bolted back together. Then we flushed the tranny to get any debris and gunk out and replaced the gear oil in the tranny as well as the t-case. I took some pictures so if you dont mind to host them again Marshall I'll email them to you.

Sounds like you were more productive than we were.....
We still had t/case day here, but we spent the bulk of the time just trying to get the t/case out of Bill's truck. We had to pull the motor mounts and tip the whole thing back/down in order for the case to clear the crossmember. That thing is TIGHT. Darn 74 change over year.....

Wish you had spoke up for help though, we could have jumped in on yours too....maybe trimmed 30 minutes off your time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom