Transfer case needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I smashed a big hole in my T-case last weekend and Ive had problems with it coming out of 4wd on me anyway so I need to replace it. Ive gotten a hold of another one but it is missing a gear so rather than try to piece 2 together I thought I would see if anyone had a extra one. I have some parts if anyone needs something and we could work out a trade of some sorts, if not just let me know if you have one and how much. The parts that I have are, 2 hard top sides with all the glass in excellent shape, 3 doors ( early model ) they dont have the top frames but do have the pull up glass and are in very good shape. and 1 bezel (round type) in good condition.

I might have a complete set of 1.99 gears that you can have. They came out of my 76 FJ40, but I built up the case with 2.31 gears to create a clone 74 transition case for use with my SM420. Not sure of gear condition - but they worked fine and didn't howl. Let me know and I'll throw em on the trailer - will be in Pickens/Pumpkintown on Friday assuming no travel delays :D.

I also have a true 74 transition case that includes both the 10 spline and 16 spline input gears. It is in a plastic tub, totally covered in gear lube and fair amount of crud - but is complete and ready to rebuild. Get your 2.31 gears in a strong 4 speed case. $600 - given it's rarity - only available after May 25 as it's my spare - but Alan or someone could bring it back for ya maybe.

steve, have you asked if that thing can be patched at all? I have no clue, but just curious as i would think that would be the cheapest and easiest fix.

if you want to switch to a 3spd case (w/ 2.3ish:1) let me know, i have a spare case i will let you have for cheap out of my '72

conversion cost might kill the deal, but i figured i'd toss it out there

malphrus

Yeah I thought about patching it Alex but I just dont trust it that much since it was disengaging on me, Im sure its been covered a bunch in tech but can anyone tell me how much work and money can be expected to switch over to the 3 speed case, I would rather have it but I dont know if I have the budget to do the conversion.

Hmmm, just noticed in your sig line you have a 79. This is most likely a single case model with a 16 spline output shaft on the 4-speed. If this is the case (no pun intended) you can drop back to an earlier 3 speed case by purchasing a 16 spline input gear to match the 2.31 gears; however, if the gears you use have wear, adding the new conversion gear might result in some mild to serious gear howl. There are a few other item to resolve - including bearings, etc.

If you want 2.31 gears - just obtain the 16 spline conversion gear, a decent set of 2.31 gears, and buy extra shims for the idler shaft (early gears are narrower) and use the new 4-speed case you bought - it will be slightly stronger than early 70's t-cases - enough to make it worth the effort. Do not even consider a 60's case - it is brittle and has far less reinforcing - very prone to breakage.

Lots of options and they can all be done - just takes patience. Rebuilding a t-case is pretty easy - and there's also the Orion write up which provides a lot of good info. - not all of which you need to know.

Thats some good info, thanks a bunch. In youre guys opinion, what do you think would be the best route to go?

JB weld and a beer can!! :)

had to say it!

Thats some good info, thanks a bunch. In youre guys opinion, what do you think would be the best route to go?

Honestly - If that's the 40 in question in your avatar - I would build back to OEM spec. Hopefully the extra case you got is the same as what you want to replace. Early 3-speed era cases are only good for 3-speed gears due to narrower gears.

1) What caused the big hole? If you busted a gear tooth and it got wedged in the back of the case or somewhere else and busted it - your gears are obviously shot.

2) If your gears are still good and they didn't howl or make noise before you bashed your case - swap them into the new case.

3) Slipping out of 4x4? Most likely due to a bad part in the front nose cone - if you got a complete spare inspect the parts and use those. What oftentimes happens is that the splines on the very small engagement thinga majiggy get wore down across the edges and allow it to pop out - OR - there might be problems with the high/low engagement fork. The edges of that sometimes wear past acceptable tolerances and it gets sloppy. Again - if you got a complete spare case sans one gear - you can use those parts - it's really all part of the output shaft assembly and you can just press off the incomplete gear set and add your old ones to it.

Doing a complete rebuild with a new idler shaft, thrust washers and bearings etc. with the best parts available between the two might yield a damn good case good for another 20 years.

Don't butcher a nice 40 - once you start with lower gears you'll find yor way to the dark side :D.

he came down on a rock without a skid plate installed and literally punched a hole in the bottom.

the grey sludge you see in the pic is a feeble attempt at JB weld and a beer can. But, with the case being hot and us not having 4 hours for it to set-up, we just put the case in neutral and used the supercharged 80 to pull him out of the trail.
URE 4-29-07 021 (Medium).jpg
URE 4-29-07 022 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Couple things I have found out using this method. Oil is not your friend. Cary a can of brake cleaner to get rid of any oil around the area. Got to let it sit up for at least an hr. Use some tape to keep it from dripping. Make sure it's thick in the area of the hole. Best to mix it and work it a little bit and apply when it starts to get a little thick.

Well - then I'd be hoping the original gears are good - slap them into the new case and try and hopefully the front nose cone engagement parts are in better shape on the newer case.

It is really a pretty easy job - and if you're not overly mechanically inclined - there's a ton of folks in UC that could help.

I'll take any of the spare front nosecone parts off your hands when you're done :D.

Also - I'll be posted up a few pics of my new skidplate. It hangs down over the t-case about an inch over stock - but it's just like a turtle shell in that area - everything else is flat.

Man thanks a lot guys for all the input, I think your right Sputnik I probably will go with a 4spd case just for the simple fact of going the fastest route possible, I need to get back up and running again because I've got a lot of other things to get done to it also. Yeah thats my 40 in my avatar but dont let that picture fool you, the closer you get to it the worse it looks:hillbilly: , from a hundred yards it looks like a pretty good looking 40 but then once youre up next to it you would swear it was a totally different truck, just ask Jason(jfz80) or Alex(concrete jungle). I would like to see the pictures of that skid plate youre talking about. Did you make it or buy it somewhere?

Bring it over Steve. We'll fix you up. Let's pick a Saturday after GSMTR and GITRDone.

Man that would be sweet Barry! Im not picky about a date just whenever works good for you and everybody else. Food and beverages are on me, just name youre poison.

Go ahead and order all the seals necessary and get those in hand. You may want to get bearing too, but that just depends on how good the others feel or look. If they are pitted at all, replace them.
There is a bearing shop called Applied Industrial Technologies in Winston. They stock Koyo bearings and if you give them the part numbers can order anything they don't have. There is probably a thread in the 40 section that lists those koyo part numbers, and you'll save a TON over dealer. Otherwise, contact CruiserDan and order from him.

I'll need a bit of time with the wife to make her happy after all my motor swapping fun for the last few months, but I'll look at the calendar for June to see when she has a Saturday class. I think I'm tied up the third weekend of June though, so maybe the second? I'll check....

I'll be there. Sounds like a good time and an education.

Sorry for the delay on getting these parts guys, I was thinking about just buying a case that had already been rebuilt but that didnt work out, so I ordered the seals and gaskets from cruiserdan today. Beig at Uwharrie this weekend really got me motivated to get everything back together.

Don't butcher a nice 40 - once you start with lower gears you'll find yor way to the dark side :D.[/QUOTE]

This is a true statement. Or if you're really crazy, own two and you won't have to hunt places to spend money.:D