Wanted Toyota fj40 Los Angeles area and thoughts on a car on ebay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey,

I am new to this forum and forums in general. I have really fallen in love with the fj40s and I am looking to purchase one and travel about 1000 miles for the perfect one. Please send them my way.

I wanted to get your thoughts on a car that I saw for sale on ebay. I have attached the link below.

1972 Toyota Land Cruiser

The owner claims that it is an all original car, matching numbers, original engine, tranny, paint, and one owner prior. He alas claims it has the original 38000 miles.

I asked him to prove all this and he said it is not really possible and doesn't have records. I am wondering how I can identity if this information is true.

Also what I should be looking at specifically when buying an fj40. What years are most valuable and whats most desirable.

Please let me know what you think something like this car is worth. I would love your opinions.

Buy the truck. Not the story.

This sounds self-evident of course until you realze how much time it takes to be able to discern s*** from shinola. Particularly when shopping on the internet.

There are no easy answers. That's what forums are for: to complicate things.

The seller does happen to be a member here, though: FJ40 FACTORY LITERATURE

Just in case you might want to follow up.

I have a really very 77 Dune Beige FJ40 with PS that I just consigned in Reno, NV. I used to own this truck myself. Offerred at $32,500. She's scheduled to go on Bring-A-Trailer. You will find her here. 77 FJ40 BEI

Regarding the low miles 72. Looks like a survivor but no provenance and it's a 72 with a 1F so I'd pass.

Based on the photos, there appears to be significant rust n the rear corners and sill. Do not understand the green paint on the top, as it does not match anything else about the truck. Not worth the $30k to me. Would pass and keep looking.

As soon as I get back to CA, which is next week, I will most likely be selling both of mine.. I have a 1968 fj40 3 on the tree, needs work, but I just had the engine rebuilt, it has rust, and some po mods, but I think it is in decent shape, and then the other I have is a 74 with a lot more stuff added to it. I'll be posting an ad soon with pics.

Last edited:
I have a really very 77 Dune Beige FJ40 with PS that I just consigned in Reno, NV. I used to own this truck myself. Offerred at $32,500. She's scheduled to go on Bring-A-Trailer. You will find her here. 77 FJ40 BEI

Regarding the low miles 72. Looks like a survivor but no provenance and it's a 72 with a 1F so I'd pass.[/QUOTE

I follow bring a trailer closely. I will check it out. What's the wrong with a 1f? What would be the better option.

Yeah gonna hold out for a better deal. 30k is out of my budget anyways.
But I like that look and color.

What would you value that car at?

I really appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks!

One thing iv noticed on a lot of fjs is people taking about the rear side facing seats and putting a regular back row. I hate that! The side facing seats are so sick I don't understand why people ruin cars sometimes.

Here is another thing I am interested it.

I contacted someone on ebay that restores FJ's. His car was to expensive for me but he said he buys them in Colombia and restores them there then brings them to the states. He said he found me something else that is more in my price range he sent me pictures I like the car a lot. He said he couldn't bring this down to the states yet because he cant afford it. Once I buy it he will bring it down.

Have you ever heard about this before? Are there alot of JJ's in colombia. If i were to buy it how should i go about buying a car in another country with out get my money jacked :) He said we can use an escrow service. Has anyone done something like this before?

He said with the price he quoted me he will do all the work and bring it to Florida I just have to ship it from Florida to CA.

I'm new to this game also but do a search using Columbia as the key word and you'll find plenty to read.

Hey,

I am new to this forum and forums in general. I have really fallen in love with the fj40s and I am looking to purchase one and travel about 1000 miles for the perfect one. Please send them my way.

I wanted to get your thoughts on a car that I saw for sale on ebay. I have attached the link below.

1972 Toyota Land Cruiser

The owner claims that it is an all original car, matching numbers, original engine, tranny, paint, and one owner prior. He alas claims it has the original 38000 miles.

I asked him to prove all this and he said it is not really possible and doesn't have records. I am wondering how I can identity if this information is true.

Also what I should be looking at specifically when buying an fj40. What years are most valuable and whats most desirable.

Please let me know what you think something like this car is worth. I would love your opinions.
Are you looking for a stock original or V8 chevota, LS1? There's many variables. How much you want to spend is another key to your quest.

I'm looking into selling mine, it's a 1976 and has a 350 conversion. No rust except surface rust where the top meets the tub. But it needs some wiring work done but I'm incorporating that into the price as well as some body work on the top since I don't have the time to fix it myself. PM me and I'll answer any questions and give you the full rundown.

IMG_7662.PNG

IMG_7663.PNG

IMG_7664.PNG

One thing iv noticed on a lot of fjs is people taking about the rear side facing seats and putting a regular back row. I hate that! The side facing seats are so sick I don't understand why people ruin cars sometimes.

One reason: unsafe.
Second reason: really unsafe.
Third reason: Did I mention they are really really not safe?

True the jump seats look really cool. If you are puttering around your farm it's one thing.

If you don't have kids or don't plan on driving anyone down the highway then leave the jump seats for looks.

In college a friend riding in mine whacked her head on the (OEM padded) rollbar J pipe from us riding over a rough street repair patch. Lights out for her...and a concussion...trip to hospital.

If you plan to use the back seats do your passengers a favor and get a real seat.

My kids ride in the back in a Man A Fre steel frame forward facing seat with 5 pt harnesses.

Shawn4x4 - you asked what's wrong with a 1F?

A 2F would be better in my opinion but there's nothing wrong with a 1F. In general I like the trucks Toyota built from 79-83 since factory power steering was an option but 76 thru 78 are plentiful and all have disc brakes up front and the 2F engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom