Toyocom OBD1 Bluetooth available again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to be clear. There were 2 versions of this. Toyocom (no longer available) and TOYOBD1 (current).

The Toyocom allows you to read codes.
The Toyobd1 does not.

Toyocom comes with the connector pre attached.
TOYOBD1 only the pigtail without the mating connector.

I ran the Toyocom (connector pre-attached) inside the engine bay and the heat caused the Toyocom to malfunction.

With the current TOYOBD1, you can extend the wires into your glove compartment and will not harm the module.

20240313_083151(1).jpg
20230127_085552.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yep

I emailed them about it previously and it got resolved. Something to do with firmware updates.

Might have to do the same again
Inquiring minds want to know...
 
Just to be clear. There were 2 versions of this. Toyocom (no longer available) and TOYOBD1 (current).

The Toyocom allows you to read codes.
The Toyobd1 does not.

Toyocom comes with the connector pre attached.
TOYOBD1 only the pigtail without the mating connector.

I ran the Toyocom (connector pre-attached) inside the engine bay and the heat caused the Toyocom to malfunction.

With the current TOYOBD1, you can extend the wires into your glove compartment and will not harm the module.

View attachment 3843336View attachment 3843337
Currently the OBD1READ is available and the TOYOCOM isn't.
Are you sure that the only thing missing in OBD1READ is the ability to read CEL codes?

Or is there additional functionality that we will have to give up?
 
Currently the OBD1READ is available and the TOYOCOM isn't.
Are you sure that the only thing missing in OBD1READ is the ability to read CEL codes?

Or is there additional functionality that we will have to give up?

The TOYOCOM units came with a plug that matches the diagnostic connector where OBD1READ has no connector. Each has their advantages. If you want a permanent installation that later allows for easier in-cab mounting to keep it away from the heat of the engine compartment. Just needed to order a connector and cable from Amazon.
 
Currently the OBD1READ is available and the TOYOCOM isn't.
Are you sure that the only thing missing in OBD1READ is the ability to read CEL codes?

Or is there additional functionality that we will have to give up?
The current model has the latest FW with upgraded data logging. Every thing else is the same minus the ability to read CEL codes.
 
The TOYOCOM units came with a plug that matches the diagnostic connector where OBD1READ has no connector. Each has their advantages. If you want a permanent installation that later allows for easier in-cab mounting to keep it away from the heat of the engine compartment. Just needed to order a connector and cable from Amazon.
I noticed that. This is one of the reasons i prefer the OBD1READ with bare wires.
Thanks.
 
Anybody got a link where to get the correct extension cable and plug to place one of these units in the glove box?
 
Anybody got a link where to get the correct extension cable and plug to place one of these units in the glove bo
Wouldnt allow me to upload but this YouTube video instuction is what your looking for:

Screenshot_20250603-173313(1).png
 
Any interest in something standalone? Just started back on a project and figure people might be interested once I get something rolling.

Currently polling and decoding data. Going to more UI, fuel milage/usage, and a simple webpage to configure and also display data. Along with a 3d printed case to mount it to the steering clamshell. Now that it works I am looking at other displays also.

Thoughts? Very beginning of this project currently.

20260912_132506.webp


20260912_141616.webp
 
Last edited:
If there was a standalone device, what all do people want? I know coolant temps. I have been farting around and have a dedicated fuel usage screen along with basic diagnostics and user settable alarms.

Also a decent web ui which will allow decoding check engine codes along with up to four analog voltage measurement channels coming next.

Any wish list items? Going to work on PCB design this week and hopefully order a batch before a trip the following week.

Also, I'm sure this isn't the right place to post this. Will start something as I work through the UI

20260920_115636.webp
20260920_115643.webp
20260920_115646.webp
Screenshot_20260920_115704_Brave.webp
Screenshot_20260920_115712_Brave.webp
 
It's less of a real-time use, but a OBD-1 CEL code reader was what originally caused me to click on this thread. And I really like where you're going with coolant temp and alarms that can be set for any key values that are out of range. AFR would be a nice option for the turbo crowd. And for the fuel screen, distance to empty would be a nice modern convenience if you're able to calculate it.
 
If there was a standalone device, what all do people want? I know coolant temps. I have been farting around and have a dedicated fuel usage screen along with basic diagnostics and user settable alarms.

Also a decent web ui which will allow decoding check engine codes along with up to four analog voltage measurement channels coming next.

Any wish list items? Going to work on PCB design this week and hopefully order a batch before a trip the following week.

Also, I'm sure this isn't the right place to post this. Will start something as I work through the UI

View attachment 4216534View attachment 4216535View attachment 4216536View attachment 4216537View attachment 4216538
nice work! there is another box under the dash? does it have like 30 wires going to it? I'm guessing its not possible to get fuel trim data. if not o2 voltage data would be useful. Would be kinda nice to see the idle switch on the TPS. I don't own a gas 80 but might be interested in having it just as a scan tool if its quick to connect inline with the ECU.
 
Back
Top Bottom