Toyo OpenCountry AT3 Experience? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just looked at at Toyo's website and it appears that there's no LT version of the stock size of 285/60R18.
The only other tire they sell that's the same height is the 265/65R18, again no LT.
Is there some technical reason for this? :confused:

REF:
Open Country A/T III | The All-Terrain Tires for Trucks, SUVs and CUVs - https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3
It is rare to find LT in stock size from most popular brands. I think that BFG KO2, Cooper, and General offer LT in stock size. Otherwise, most stock sized tires are P-metric in XL version. I got BFG KO2 in stock size…happy that BFG offers that size AND that it is Load Range D vs. the normal Load Range E in other sizes. P-metric in XL is actually not a bad thing…as noted, this may be my next move to eek out a few more MPGs.

On another note, why is there no APP that you can download that gives you PSI value for your car, LT/P, and tire size?!! Someone needs to do this (And make money)! I am too bad at math to figure these things out.

Following the YouTube video posted by hickuptruck regarding the Toyo inflation tables, here is what I came up with regarding my tire replacement air pressures:

2011 Lexus LX570

OE Tire Size: P285/50R20
Factory Recommended Pressure: 33PSI

Replacement Tire: LT285/55R20
New Pressure: 45PSI (calculation below)

For the original tire, the load capacity at 35PSI (33PSI isnt listed on the tables) is 2403lbs according to the Rim TIre Assocation Table.

Since the car was originally equipped with a P metric tire and I switched it to an LT tire, I divide the load capacity by 1.10.

2403/1.10 = 2184

Referencing the Rim Tire Association Table, I go to the LT285/55R20 section and look for a PSI that meets or exceeds the 2184lbs load capacity.

The table shows that the first pressure that meets this capacity is 45PSI. At 45PSI, the load capacity is 2,205lbs.

This would make sense at my tire installer filled all 4 new tires to 45PSI. If anyone sees any errors with this calculation, please let me know.

Your calculations are good and are consistent with the common practice of tire installers by rounding up to the values published in the TRA tables.

It is possible to go the extra step and calculate the "in between" values in the tables to arrive at a more precise RCTIP.

In your case, The P285/50R20 tires at 33psi have a calculated Load Limit of 2315 lbs.

To get the LT-Metric equivalent, 2315 / 1.1 = 2105 lbs.

The RCTIP for the LT285/55R20 tires then becomes 43psi (rounded up to the nearest whole psi value) which yields a Load Limit of 2135 lbs.

Doing the extra calcs saves you a couple psi, but no problem running with your calc of 45psi.

HTH

Your calculations are good and are consistent with the common practice of tire installers by rounding up to the values published in the TRA tables.

It is possible to go the extra step and calculate the "in between" values in the tables to arrive at a more precise RCTIP.

In your case, The P285/50R20 tires at 33psi have a calculated Load Limit of 2315 lbs.

To get the LT-Metric equivalent, 2315 / 1.1 = 2105 lbs.

The RCTIP for the LT285/55R20 tires then becomes 43psi (rounded up to the nearest whole psi value) which yields a Load Limit of 2135 lbs.

Doing the extra calcs saves you a couple psi, but no problem running with your calc of 45psi.

HTH
Sweet, thanks for checking that. I'll probably drop them down to 43psi in that case.

Is this too close to the upper control arm. These are Toyo at2 285/65/18. On my 2021 HE. I have AT3s ordered and now am worried about the spacing and debating if I should order 275/65/18 instead.

F32FB89E-E36A-45A2-8BA3-57AEB303043E.jpeg

5092F7AF-AF17-495D-B336-C9D98E9C9F35.jpeg

Is this too close to the upper control arm. These are Toyo at2 285/65/18. On my 2021 HE. I have AT3s ordered and now am worried about the spacing and debating if I should order 275/65/18 instead.

View attachment 2640609

View attachment 2640610

Angles are hard to judge with a static pic. Is that at ride height with the tires straight ahead? The clearance against the UCA gets tighter when the suspension is compressed and steering is cranked over. Though for a 285/65r18, should clear okay based the number of people that have run this size?

This is photo of passenger side with wheel turned towards the drivers side. It seemed like there was roughly 3/8in between tire and UCA

I made some time last week to change out the front brake pads and add 1.25" spacers.
The AT3's have less than 2k miles on them and rubbed a little without the spacers. I pulled off the front flaps and used a pair of 12x18 flaps bought from EBay. Got a couple more inches of mud flap all around and with the tire installed you don't even really see the flaps. I used a heat gun to bend the plastic on the front where I removed that plastic piece. Still getting some tire rub right there from pass side though.

5E371B0D-B32D-4CE6-8F32-D658B41A58DD.jpeg

8ED8BC34-DAAC-45F7-A111-12FFEDC10E82.jpeg

13D658D0-4BD3-4CAC-BA8B-67182A6E9ACE.jpeg

4B5A97B8-0538-45DD-B7E0-E8CC5808DEA9.jpeg

Last edited:
I made some time last week to change out the front brake pads and add 1.25" spacers.
The AT3's have less than 2k miles on them and rubbed a little without the spacers. I pulled off the front flaps and used a pair of 12x18 flaps bought from EBay. Got a couple more inches of mud flap all around and with the tire installed you don't even really see the flaps. I used a heat gun to bend the plastic on the front where I removed that plastic piece. Still getting some tire rub right there from pass side though.

View attachment 2647376

View attachment 2647377

View attachment 2647378

View attachment 2647379

View attachment 2647381

Im thinking about just removing those front mudflaps. From the looks of the the new front bumpers overhang, they don't seem to do much... its the only spot thats rubbing and ive rubbed halfway through one already. As far as my rear mudflap on the front wheels im getting some annoying snagging from the bottom in reverse. Other than heat-gun is there any other recommended method? Ive seen some threads that involve a lot more cutting than i have the patience for.

Tried to get some of these, stock sized from Discount Tire - Nationwide backorder, unknown delivery date . . .

Hey gaijin,

ive followed some of your posts and I know you’re well respected here im not trying to knock you or anything but its impossible for 26 psi to be the correct pressure for 200/570. Thats basically flat.

i can post a photo if needed but I recommend anyone running P metric to go 36-38.

Im curious how you are calculating the pressure.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I really like these tires so far. I experienced decreased road noise, but I believe that's going from a recommended 42psi with my KO2s to a recommended 37psi. Both tires are E load rated, but I also moved from an 18" wheel to 17" wheel. More cushion for the pushin' with the extra sidewall. Offroad that are at least as good as the KO2s. Hard to tell with the amount of mud I have around me now in Arkansas. I'm still reluctant to go with a full MT, despite probably needing to. Just my drive to take the kids to school is 2 miles round trip on dirt roads, so they would get daily work at minimum.

Im thinking about just removing those front mudflaps. From the looks of the the new front bumpers overhang, they don't seem to do much... its the only spot thats rubbing and ive rubbed halfway through one already. As far as my rear mudflap on the front wheels im getting some annoying snagging from the bottom in reverse. Other than heat-gun is there any other recommended method? Ive seen some threads that involve a lot more cutting than i have the patience for.
The oem mudflap serves as kind of the end cap for the side steps. It sticks out from the body pretty far. The one on the front needs to go. Cutting is permanent. So go slo.

The oem mudflap serves as kind of the end cap for the side steps. It sticks out from the body pretty far. The one on the front needs to go. Cutting is permanent. So go slo.

Thanks. Wish there was an aftermarket mudflat/end piece.

I recently put AT3 P285/70-17s on Icon Vector 5s.

Pros: It looks good. Tire is quiet.

Cons: It must run large because there is considerable rubbing at less than full lock. I was expecting some, but others run this size tire and wheel with no rubbing. Going to address this weekend with the heat gun.

Also, the RCTIP is 27 according to earlier posts. I had the shop inflate to 28 and there was a massive bulge, it looked terrible. I’m up to 30 now and it still looks a little flat, but the ride is OK. I may bump to 32 to try that out.

I recently put AT3 P285/70-17s on Icon Vector 5s.

Pros: It looks good. Tire is quiet.

Cons: It must run large because there is considerable rubbing at less than full lock. I was expecting some, but others run this size tire and wheel with no rubbing. Going to address this weekend with the heat gun.

Also, the RCTIP is 27 according to earlier posts. I had the shop inflate to 28 and there was a massive bulge, it looked terrible. I’m up to 30 now and it still looks a little flat, but the ride is OK. I may bump to 32 to try that out.
What lift? Aftermarket UCAs? And where is it rubbing?

What lift? Aftermarket UCAs? And where is it rubbing?
No lift, stock UCAs. The rub is in the middle of the front fender liner. It was also rubbing the mud flap and wind deflector but I removed those.

Ok, noobie hear, but I have read this thread at least half a dozen times. Searched and done my research.

I just ordered Toyo Open Country AT3 tires in 285/65-R18 (E-rated) for my "new to me" 2014 Land Cruiser. I believe this size was refered to as "the easy button" in another thread. It seems most people are having no problems running these on their 200 with stock suspension. However, most of the comments have been from people running them on Herratige Editions. Is anybody running this size Toyos on an older 200? What is your experience? What PSI do you inflate them to.
Thanks in advance-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom