Toyo Open Country AT 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
earthcruiser uses that tire http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/specifications, it weight 11,000 pound. i am thinking about that tire myself, my rig weight over 8000 pd. so i will be watching your thread. i am trying to find out how much thread is on the road on a 8" wheels.:cheers:

I spoke to a couple dealers/ on Friday (10/12). They were expecting to see the size i am after (285/75/17) begin to arrive this week. I will definitely post up any new information.

At some point in time, like most guys, I have wheeled/run most all brands of tires, both MT and AT. In the past, since I often have more than one vehicle, I would buy a new tire from a reputable manufacturer just to try them out. I mean you never know they might make the "new" best tire on the market. After trying Toyo OC MT's 9 years ago, I have never purchased anything else, but I have purchased vehicles with other tire brands already installed, wheeled or driven them and finally replaced them with Toyo's. I just purchased a set of the AT II's in 27570r18 as a "highway" tire for my 100 series. I will run them some off road for sure. I will let you know how that goes, on and off road, but I expect them to be, like the OC MT's, the best tires in the world. Yes, they are $$$, but the guys that know, run Toyo's. Just like the Japanese engineering that goes into the LC's that we drive and wheel, that same engineering and quality control is what makes Toyo tires the best.

X2 I have the OC M/T's, best tire I've ever had. I'm running them on a 60 series diesel,

How would you think they (ATII) would compare to the Terra Grapplers? I have the TGs right now and love them, but have had Toyos in the past and loved them.

Bottom it will be about a $100 difference on the TGs versus the ATIIs and wonder if the ATIIs are worth the extra 100 clams:meh:

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I have about 700 miles on my new 285/75R18 Toyo Open Country AT2s including some 4x4 trail time.

So far its a great tire. Balanced right up with minimal lead...like all my other Toyo tires. Drifts more predictably in the turns than the original OC AT. Significantly more void area than the original AT also. And arguably one of the best looking AT tires on the market (from a 4x4 perspective ;)).

And Toyo upped their game by including a 50,000 mile tread wear guarantee in this size which was previously not offered. I was only able to get ~20,000 miles out of the Open Country AT in the same size so I'm hoping this new variant gets 2X of those for treadwear.

More sizes available than Nitto offers in their TG.

We have the AT II's on the wifes 100. Other than gravel roads they've never been off road. On road they're great. No noise, great in the snow, no sidewall lean in corners, treadware is phenomenal (60k and still plenty of life), overall a good tire. One thing I don't like about them though: they are terrible in the rain. Hydroplane all the time.

We have the AT II's on the wifes 100. Other than gravel roads they've never been off road. On road they're great. No noise, great in the snow, no sidewall lean in corners, treadware is phenomenal (60k and still plenty of life), overall a good tire. One thing I don't like about them though: they are terrible in the rain. Hydroplane all the time.

^ You have 60k miles on the Toyo Open Country ATII tire model?! They just intro'd this tire model a few months ago. That's some big time windshield time :eek:

I've not run the TGs but have a couple good wheeling buddies that have that like them fine. TGs also, like the OC AT, get plusses and minuses in the tread wear department.

If you're after more void, i.e. better performance in the dirt, the OC ATII might get the nod. And the 50,000 or 60,000 mile tread wear guarantee (depending upon size) might be worth a c-note.

Close call really.

Toyo Open Country AT2

Just ordered a set for my 100. Should have them installed on newly black powder coated wheels by end of next week. Pics and tire review to follow.

Been lurking around for a while and just got my first landcruiser yesterday!!

Will be needing new tires soon and keep coming back to the Toyo Open Country ATIIs. Looking at the 285/75/16 size. Should fit fine on a stock 97 right?

Does anyone have a report on highway mileage?? Looks to have a low rolling resistance for a AT tire. Any actual numbers would be great.

The ATII's come in three different levels of "aggressiveness." The Xtreme's will have the larger voids and slightly higher rolling resistance.
0-xtreme1-tiff.jpg
0-xtreme2-tiff.jpg

Ya I understand they come in different levels of tread and that the more aggressive I go the higher the rolling resistance as well as noise. I was already planning on the LT or P tread. Seems to me if I'm worried about mpg I should go with the 265/75/16 size. The difference in weight between the LT and P is pretty significant as well 41lbs. vs 48lbs. Decisions decisions...

Ya I understand they come in different levels of tread and that the more aggressive I go the higher the rolling resistance as well as noise. I was already planning on the LT or P tread. Seems to me if I'm worried about mpg I should go with the 265/75/16 size. The difference in weight between the LT and P is pretty significant as well 41lbs. vs 48lbs. Decisions decisions...
If you like Toyo AT tires you might look at the M55 line. I just got 5 for my '94. I've heard a lot of fleets run these tires and they're pretty much bullet proof for on or off road performance. They're pretty $pendy, as most Toyo's seem to be - but IMHO they're worth the extra $. I'm running the LT255/85/16 which is just a hair taller than the 285/75/16 you mentioned first. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Toyo OC ATII (Buy3/1Free vs Duratrac ($215)

Looking to put new tires (AT's 285/75/16) on the LX. Torn between Toyo and GY. Read reviews on both just haven't seen any comments from someone who has run both.

Ellis Automotive here in Denver is offering buy 3 get 1 free on Toyo tires through the end of the month.

Local GY shop is offering Duratracs at $215.

Any thoughts on what will perform better here in CO?

Looks like it might be the GY's, Discount Tire is willing to do 5 GY DT 285/75/16 for $1242 including road hazard

Big thanks to whomever said if you dont haggle your getting ripped off, looks to be true!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom