Toyo Open Country AT 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not doubting you but if your only getting 20K out of them & only 32K out of the MTR's something else is wrong. Wrong psi followed by not rotating or vehicle tracking incorrectly or too much -/+ tow or something. I've never gotten less than 40K out of a tire even on a Dodge dually 4x4 that hauled a 34' fifth wheel most it's life. You need to check into why your having this problem. It's not normal for any tire on any vehicle.

The interweb is full of tread wear complaints on OC ATs...less so with the OC ATII but time on the market is the presumable difference. If you run 285/75R18 on your dually that would tell me something...

No, not 285/75r18!!!!

Put about 6k miles on my 325/60/18 xtremes. Lots of 80mph romps on freeway super smooth and balance well. Looking forward to getting them dirty.

I pulled the trigger on these tires last week (285/75/16s). It's way to early for any real comparison to my old BFG ATs, but I like the Toyos a lot. They ride nice and look great on the 80.
P6040987.JPG

Should be - It's way too early...
Sorry, it was bothering me.

Not entirely related, but how strong are the LT version of these tires, vs the xtreme? I want the XT but they do not come in 275/75R18. The LT has 2-ply side wall vs 3-ply on the XT, big deal? Plus the XTs are around 15lbs heaver per tire.

FYI, not all of the Xtreme's have 3-ply sidewalls. Not all the LT's have 2-ply sidewalls. You could say, internally, some of the LT sizes are "stronger" than some of the XT sizes.

FYI, not all of the Xtreme's have 3-ply sidewalls. Not all the LT's have 2-ply sidewalls. You could say, internally, some of the LT sizes are "stronger" than some of the XT sizes.

How so? Are you saying some of the LTs have 3-ply sidewall? I understand not all XT have 3-ply, but I thought all LT had 2-ply.

Funny, because I am looking at product 352450 (LT275/70R18 BSW). Toyo's website lists this as a 8-ply, while treaddepot lists it as a 10-ply. It would be nice if it was 10-ply but I suspect it's an error.

Just looked at Toyo's site again and I think you're right, all the current LT's show as 2 ply. I've noticed there are more sizes available in the XT now than when they were first introduced. Maybe they'll convert them all!

Last edited:
image.jpg
Just installed 295s after this thread. The 100 rides fantastic, so believe the hype. Much better than bfgs at's on my old 80.

Had to use the AT2's in snow and ice this week, it's a pretty capable tire. I put some on and off road miles on them last week, and haven't given me any cause for concern.

Anyone had chopping issues on the outer sidewall on fronts? I haven't had mine on long, but detect slight uneven swear one edges. Didn't have that issue on the Michelin LTX I just pulled off it. Still like the tire, it's done well in snow, ice, rain. They are slightly noisy, but nothing crazy.

I have the 295/75-16 XT mounted on a 100 series. I have been out to the desert a couple time. The tires balanced with hardly any weight. The tires track well. Damn good traction in the desert.

Only downside is a hum on the highway. I would not do this for a DD, but for my weekend ride, hell yes

Ok, downside #2. When traveling over a road with rocks, as in, rocks the size of a baseball or grapefruit, with the upper half exposed, the tire tread will not fold over them. Even when down at 18-20 psi you feel it. Never had this problem with BFG AT. Tire is fine other wise....I did want the three-ply sidewall for durability, so this is the trade-off

Last edited:
UPDATE:
According to the ODO I just crossed the 50k mark on these tires (so 54K when adjusted for larger diameter).
Tread life is still good-between 8-9(started with 17/32 on the 295/75/16 Extreme Tread).
I do have some uneven tread wear on all 4 tires, but this is mostly driver induced due to ball joints, tie rods, bearings, and a couple missed rotations.
In the last 5-7k miles I've noticed instances of slight hydroplaning and slippage in wet weather. I seem to be getting down to the end of the siping, and into the harder compound.
Road Noise has increased, but it's still tolerable (I can't hear the kids movies out of their headphones anymore).

Overall I've been very happy with the AT2s and will likely replace with the same, but I am looking at other tires.

Great minds.... Something something

Just crossed 20k miles on my 295s. Tires are at 15/32 with 90% highway miles. Tread wear is perfect. Slight hum sound that new passengers hear, but I just turn up the radio! Snow/ice traction is best I've ever had on any tire or vehicle.

I just recently put about 1000k miles on my AT II's LT275/65r18 on a '08 LX 570. . They work great so far on handling but I don't like the audible whine that develops around 65+ mph. They seem to exhibit the most noise on the concrete grooved freeways we have here in Southern CA. Might try out the BFGs next time. I watched a review video about the tires on youtube and the guy driving the truck said he couldn't hear any noise and I could hear the whiny pitch but the road noise from his truck seemed to mask it greatly. In an LX 570 the interior is so quiet the tire noise is much more noticeable. That being said, there's a good probability that BFGs make noise too that would be audible on my car too that others may not notice. In any event on longer rides you sort of get used to it and the wife and kids don't seem to notice it which is a good thing :).

Update: Just passed 30k miles on this set. Tires are at 13/32. Nitrogear UCAs were replaced over the summer; therefore; almost the entire suspension has been replaced except the front LCA, plus the rear panhard bushings. Treadwear looks nice. @Pork Soda Did you buy a 2nd set yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom