Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to post up here that @climbhi , a returning TAC member came out during the Snorkelfest, and was nice enough to lend a hand. Literally!!!!

Nice meeting you and nice seeing Eric Butlers old rig.

Thanks for the invite. Nice to be back in the fold.

Hi everybody,

My name is Evan. I've met and wrenched with a lot of you in the late 90s / early 2000s. I was the tall KSU student with the basketcase, half assed modified, kind of shady 40 which only appeals to a college student that so many of you helped out on. The one that I snapped the frame on and it turned into a complete rebuild in such as buying a used frame and transferring everything over in my parent's garage. I ended up selling it to get the money for a down payment on a house in 2005 for my wife and I in KCK, so I lost touch with everyone once I no longer had a Cruiser. Flash forward time. We currently live in Minnesota but are moving back to Overland Park in literally 1 month. My wife is finishing up her fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and she accepted a job at KU Med where she went to medical school. We have a son, Roy, who will be 2 shortly. I am in construction management.

Cruiser content: So I have a buddy who lives in Tucson, AZ. Over a few beers one night, many years ago, I asked him to keep an eye out for the elusive barn find FJ40 unicorn. So I got an email 2 days ago saying he found an unmodified, complete, 1975 that has been sitting for 25 years with 5K miles on an engine rebuild. I bought it based on a handful of photos, renewed my TLCA membership and now here I am!

So if the club will take me back into the fold, I would love to join again. I have a lot of great memories with those of you that I have met. And, so many of you helped me out when I was a broke, dumb (still dumb), college student. I hope I can repay all of your generosity, or at least pay it forward.

So here in a few weeks I will be de-packrating and de-rattlesnaking my new 40 and dragging it home.

Also, Erik, I think I still owe you some money for some reason. Disc brakes? I think it was disc brakes. Also, my new 75 has drums so I'm going to have to need disc brakes. Again.

If you'll have me, I look forward to reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones.

Evan

Here she is:

More of a barnless find to be honest...

And thanks for the welcome!

unspecified-7.jpeg

Welcome back to the addiction!

The prodigy returns. Pm me your #. I'll be in Minneapolis mid June for work. When you get here I can put you on a project and we can do disks yet again. Just don't roll this one in my driveway again. Yes. Evan rolled his truck in my driveway downtown, complete with police helicopter spotlight on the action.

It is true. We rolled my previous 40 in Erik's driveway while using his driveway retaining wall as an RTI ramp when he lived off the plaza. There was a police helicopter with spotlight scanning the area for some active car thieves when it happened. The chopper lingered on our Miller Lite fueled situation for quite awhile. Not my finest moment.

I'm really happy to be back. I look forward to reconnecting with you guys. I kind of dropped off the radar once I graduated, sold the 40, bought a house, got married, and started a career.

Looking forward to seeing you all in person soon!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It is easier with disposable income and not a student budget. See you when ya hit kc

Hi everyone

I'm Aaron I have always loved the FJ40 and finally bought one. I have a 1970 FJ40. I would love to talk to some people who have done some work on there 40's. I have 3 daughters, twins that are 8 and a 10 year old. I live in Overland Park. I'm very new to this and am excited to learn from you guys. I would love to pick your brains and fix this up. I need help with a speedometer needle. Are these hard to find? Is it easier to just get a instrument cluster?

image.jpeg

Sharp looking truck!

What part of town are you in?

Sadly I have no valuable input when it comes to speedos or instrument clusters.

I plead the fifth on both.

@CruisingDentist What kind of issue are you having? Is the needle totally missing or just doesn't move? There are several in the local club here that I am sure can help you out. Some have rebuilt the cluster and added some custom gauges that provide more info, others kept them essentially stock. Are you planning on keeping it stock or adding modern convenience/safety components such as disk brakes, power steering, electrical updates etc...

@CruisingDentist welcome to the addiction. I'm not too far from you. I live just off 135th and Quivira. I have refurbed a couple clusters, but if the needle is missing, I'm not sure how to fix that.

welcome we might be in the same neighborhood almost I'm on Lowell by the big pond. don't have a 40 but have always liked them set out when i was young to get a topless suv. jeep CJ for 13 years before being set straight

@CruisingDentist What kind of issue are you having? Is the needle totally missing or just doesn't move? There are several in the local club here that I am sure can help you out. Some have rebuilt the cluster and added some custom gauges that provide more info, others kept them essentially stock. Are you planning on keeping it stock or adding modern convenience/safety components such as disk brakes, power steering, electrical updates etc...
The needle is completely missing. I would love to have front disc brakes, the rear sill needs replacing like most. I'm okay with out power steering but I would look into it. I would like it safe and look stock. I will use this mostly for driving around town sonic runs with my family and hinge near the house. I would like to add better seat belts especially in the rear.

I'd take the gauge cluster apart and see if the needle is inside of it somewhere. If not, it couldn't be that hard to replace it or make a new one.
I toolkit all apart thanks for the advice. Found the needle but missing the pin to attach it. Any ideas on how to attach it with out the pin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom