Top mount Intercooler | diesel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Try posting in the "Diesel" section, you'll get more eyes with experience in these matters in that section.

i ran one when i was diesel, it worked pretty well and lined up quite good, you will need to cut the bonne supports though

I don't have a diesel, my truck is a supercharged 1fz-fe, but i have a similar intercooler setup with in/out temp sensors. It drops iat by 10-20 degrees, generally staying at a15 degree drop most of the time

Where does the airflow across the intercooler come from? Hood scoop?

Where does the airflow across the intercooler come from? Hood scoop?

Yup, you generally need to cut the hood and put a scoop on to get airflow across a top mount air to air intercooler on these trucks. Some even add a fan, but I think you'd still need to cut the hood to get the airflow required.

Made my own custom one through a workshop far cheaper & better.

IMG_0514.JPG

Have you considered a front mount?

They work a lot better although usually more expensive and you dont have to cut up your bonnet (hood).

Have you considered a front mount?

They work a lot better although usually more expensive and you dont have to cut up your bonnet (hood).

Yes I did working through the debate over the last few years. Front mounts adds lag so I felt with a older engine with Pedal response is already slow it would be better with a effiecent top mount.

Having a accurate size intercooler and yet improved flow in & out was the focus here.

Getting the 3in exhaust made now to add to the power band now so will know in the next few weeks the true full benefits.

Have he scoop ready to fit & paint soon, doesn't bother me because the the hole in the hood gonna be small.

Pictures to follow

Trade-off would be that a front mount could be set up to have the radiator fan draw air through it also at lower speeds..

I never got around to the necessary ducting with the FMIC on my diesel 4runner but that was the plan.

Another thing to consider is that the injection pump is "dumb" and cant compensate for the cooler charge temps with timing or injection quantity. So we won't get as much out of an IC as if these things could be accounted for. Will help lower EGTs though.

The lag with a front mount on a non-throttled diesel is minimal.

This could start a top vs front mout intercooler debate so will just tell my experience

I have installed this ebay kit on my 1hd
New *VM* Front Mount Intercooler Kit For Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 4.2L 1HDT

It is a cheap ebay kit and not perfect but works great, the intercooler itself looks to be good quality.

No ducting, no cutting your bonnet, no intercooler fans required.

Having installed a top mount on my last 4wd i would sayl the front mount is better in every way.
Up to the OP what he wants and if he can fit a front mount.

The lag with a front mount on a non-throttled diesel is minimal.

This could start a top vs front mout intercooler debate so will just tell my experience

I have installed this ebay kit on my 1hd
New *VM* Front Mount Intercooler Kit For Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 4.2L 1HDT

It is a cheap ebay kit and not perfect but works great, the intercooler itself looks to be good quality.

No ducting, no cutting your bonnet, no intercooler fans required.

Having installed a top mount on my last 4wd i would sayl the front mount is better in every way.
Up to the OP what he wants and if he can fit a front mount.

I respect your view and would say there are many factors to what's best for each person. This was a cheap yet in my opinion a very good setup to achieve good enough results. This setup cost me around $500 all in to do. Buying a aftermarket kit would be easily more than double or even triple that with shipping & taxes.

In the next few weeks I will know better.

Thanks for your interest

I respect your view and would say there are many factors to what's best for each person. This was a cheap yet in my opinion a very good setup to achieve good enough results. This setup cost me around $500 all in to do. Buying a aftermarket kit would be easily more than double or even triple that with shipping & taxes.

In the next few weeks I will know better.

Thanks for your interest

Wow, $500 for the top mount and intake manifold work is a great deal!

My aim for this project was to build affordable intercooler set up aiming for $300 but decided to go the extra mile with modifying restrictions with the inlet manifold that no afitermarket kit addresses.

More pictures :)

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a great simple setup you have there. Be interested in how you found the difference in driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom