Tools for trips, trail runs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

619TOY

SILVER Star
Threads
Even though I'm just barely getting into what I believe to be a long process of learning and building my expedition rig, I'm trying to get as many of my ducks in a row a possible. While I personally have never broken anything off road (I've always owned Toyotas), I want to be prepared for it. I have over 30k worth of tools and obviously can't bring them all. What tools can you think of that might be overlooked (tools specific to an 80) At first I didn't think I'd need anything standard but I'm sure alot of the aftermarket parts will be using standard hardware as well as the fact that I'd like to be prepared to give a hand to those with good old American vehicles in a time of need. So what do you guys bring with you when you know you probably won't be able to get AAA to help you out?

I just recently got a gift certificate for $100 to my local Toyota dealer and I spent it buying back-up hoses for my cooling system, both belts, and antifreeze.
Next I plan to hit up the local parts store for:
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Edelbrock Power Bond tape
Zip ties
Brake fluid
Radiator sealer
JB Weld silicone sealer
Shop rags
3M weatherstrip adhesive
I know you mentioned tools but these all become tools in my opinion and it's stuff that you might not think about.

619TOY said:
So what do you guys bring with you when you know you probably won't be able to get AAA to help you out?

Steve,
I'm not trying to squash your thread but if you'll look, we've done this before and came up with a nice list of "things to have" for an off-road rig which included a lot of tools. There were 2 long threads; one here in the 80-section and one in Outfitting.

I'll get you started in this thread:

Tools
=======
1/2" Breaker bar
10mm allen head socket for diff plugs
1/2->3/4" adapter
1/2->3/8" adapter
hub socket
lug socket
spark plug socket (plus the one in the std tool bag)
1/2" extensions
a couple of sets of garage sale metric & SAE spanners
21mm socket for diff plugs
3/8" sockets, ratchets, breakers, extensions
Various pliars, wire snips, screwdrivers (typical trail tools)
tyre patch kit
adjustable regulator for CO2 for air tools under 150 psi
plastic jar with various nuts & bolts from a parted out 80
wiring repair tools and kit (lotsa fuses)
multimeter

(Not a complete list of what I carry but that's a start and all I can think of right now...)
-B-

I take. alot of stuff.
-2 co2 tanks 10 lb
-co2 hose
-air chunks.
-impack gun
-tire gage
-spacer tire ( full size)
-hi-lift
-jack 20 ton. and one of a nissan
-tie rods
-jump cables
-wd40
-gloves
-straps
-shovel
-chain
-cable(For long pulls)
-shacles
-water
-brake fluid
-power steering fluid
-oil
-hose clamp
-fuses
-spare bolts and nuts
-driveshaft
-u-joints
-engine belt
-rags
-allen wrenches
-electrical tape
-tire repair kit
-pry bar
-test ligth-pick tools
-spark plug- spark plug tool
-adjustable wrench
-hammers
-tool bags
-matches
-flashligth
-fire ex.
-zip ties fixes everything
-duck tape
-and list goes on
Wow thats alot of stuff

Eric

fj40forlife said:
I take. alot of stuff.
-2 co2 tanks 10 lb
-co2 hose
-air chunks.
-impack gun
-tire gage
-spacer tire ( full size)
-hi-lift
-jack 20 ton. and one of a nissan
-tie rods
-jump cables
-wd40
-gloves
-straps
-shovel
-chain
-cable(For long pulls)
-shacles
-water
-brake fluid
-power steering fluid
-oil
-hose clamp
-fuses
-spare bolts and nuts
-driveshaft
-u-joints
-engine belt
-rags
-allen wrenches
-electrical tape
-tire repair kit
-pry bar
-test ligth-pick tools
-spark plug- spark plug tool
-adjustable wrench
-hammers
-tool bags
-matches
-flashligth
-fire ex.
-zip ties fixes everything
-duck tape
-and list goes on
Wow thats alot of stuff

Eric

Where does your rig fit into that?:D

Chicago

chicago said:
Where does your rig fit into that?:D

Chicago

LoL :D It all fits in there. And the 35 spacer tire is in side as well :grinpimp: No Tire carrier. And I could ad more stuff on the list :bounce:

Thats awsome.
I pack pretty heavy too when doing 2+ day excursions where there is not much in the way of auto supply stores.
I still have to get extra birfs, u joints etc. The next big trip like that for me is in the end of April, Ive gotta rummage through the local bone yards for stuff.
Ya got any pics of your rig packed? Id be curious how you do that and what youre using for bins.

Chicago

chicago said:
Thats awsome.
I pack pretty heavy too when doing 2+ day excursions where there is not much in the way of auto supply stores.
I still have to get extra birfs, u joints etc. The next big trip like that for me is in the end of April, Ive gotta rummage through the local bone yards for stuff.
Ya got any pics of your rig packed? Id be curious how you do that and what youre using for bins.

Chicago

Ill take pic. Im going wheeling sunday. So maybe I put stuff in tommor nothing else today beside fixing everything :grinpimp:

Edit. AS as bins nothing is bolt down to the floor or anything just strap down and stuff

i only work on my truck with the toolkit that's in it. so if i find i'm short of something to finish the job, i'm forced to buy it. that teaches you what you do and don't need

SORRY. For got to take pics today. But did go offroad. Almost floped it. But I could take pics of almost every thing in it, IF want ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom