Too much rust??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, guys

Just took a look at this triple locked 1993 FZJ80 with 111k miles. I test drove it and it runs perfect. Engine is in great shape. The only thing that I noticed is that the gas pedal is incredibly stiff, but reading the threads, seems like an easy fix.

The only thing is that it's a Chicago truck and comes with some rust. For being a Chicago truck, it's not too much rust since it was garage kept and sprayed every year, but I figured I'd want your guys' opinion if it's too much for your liking.

driver's side door.png

rear frame 3.png

roof rack.png

running board driver's side 1.png

tailgate.png

The frame is in pretty good condition. Most of these are cosmetic, but biggest spot are the rockers.

I can post more pics of the vehicle, but these are the main concerns. Thoughts?

It looks like all the rust under thew truck has been freshly pained black. That would concern me most.

More underside pics if you have them.

Here's the truck! Other than the rust, the vehicle is in great condition. Only a tiny few scratches on the paint.

truck.png

Here's the engine:

engine.png

If it's cheap and you don't mine working on rusty bolts and the other headaches that come with rust, then go for it. Otherwise I would keep an eye out for a rust free southern/western truck. I personally hate rust and will never buy another rusty truck.

I wouldn't buy it, that's for sure.

But if you're buying it to run it into the ground in the midwest winters, then fine. The body rust will only get worse (or $$$$$ to fix properly, after which would not take it out between November and April). The undercarriage rust is undoubtedly worse than it appears. Every fastener and clamp under the hood is rusted. Good winter beater. If you're looking for a resto-mod project or something to be proud of, buy a rust free one and move about 500 miles to the south so you don't ruin it.

I wouldn't buy it, that's for sure.

But if you're buying it to run it into the ground in the midwest winters, then fine. The body rust will only get worse (or $$$$$ to fix properly, after which would not take it out between November and April). The undercarriage rust is undoubtedly worse than it appears. Every fastener and clamp under the hood is rusted. Good winter beater. If you're looking for a resto-mod project or something to be proud of, buy a rust free one and move about 500 miles to the south so you don't ruin it.

Yeah, I agree. I was first looking at cars that I would definitely be proud of, but rust-free ones are getting incredibly expensive. I'm maybe hoping to just run it into the ground, but at that point, it pains me to think of investing a ton of money into it knowing the rust gives it a life expectancy.

Maybe go for a 4runner or something a little more common and affordable to maintain then?

Run away. That is a cover-up job and not even a good one. If you want a cheap beater it might be ok, but that is not a long term truck.

No bueno🤮

yep you can clearly see they just painted over the rust with no prep work

Hard pass, doesn't matter how clean or if it has lockers

hard stop on that truck, unless it's just a "winter rat" for you...... I highly suggest looking in TX or other areas on CL or other sites.... my southern TX 80 at 23 YO has less rust then my dad's 2 year old F150.....

try this site to track larger markets on CL - you may be able to find a likely rig and have a mud member look at it.... I looked one last month for a guy who ended up buying it sight unseen and is loving it....it was a 97' CE that was almost as clean as mine.

hard stop on that truck, unless it's just a "winter rat" for you...... I highly suggest looking in TX or other areas on CL or other sites.... my southern TX 80 at 23 YO has less rust then my dad's 2 year old F150.....

try this site to track larger markets on CL - you may be able to find a likely rig and have a mud member look at it.... I looked one last month for a guy who ended up buying it sight unseen and is loving it....it was a 97' CE that was almost as clean as mine.

Thank you for that! Will be scouring this website like it's my job. I've been searching for LCs in different cities -- especially in Texas -- via Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, but this looks like a great aggregate. Thanks, again!

cool - I'm happy to put eyes on rigs that are close to houston..... every now and then a gem pops up at a not-stupid price....

cool - I'm happy to put eyes on rigs that are close to houston..... every now and then a gem pops up at a not-stupid price....

Thank you!! Will PM you if I see any Houston listings. Thanks for lending a hand, my friend! :steer:

kevinkevinkevin, in a word, that truck is going to be a turd to turn wrenches on. Oh one more thing, i can assure you if you were to slip an inspection camera up inside the inner body panels, you're going to find rust living there too. If it were me, I'd keep looking for my forever Land Cruiser, because that one isn't it, just my 2 cent's YMMV.

kevinkevinkevin, in a word, that truck is going to be a turd to turn wrenches on. Oh one more thing, i can assure you if you were to slip an inspection camera up inside the inner body panels, you're going to find rust living there too. If it were me, I'd keep looking for my forever Land Cruiser, because that one isn't it, just my 2 cent's YMMV.

That's a great point. I can imagine it's going to be terrible sawing through those bolts because a lot of them look like they're caked in rust. Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom