Today's challenge: what's this engine for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Besides tons of tools and other fun stuff, when I took over this huge shop space, there are about 3 dozen small engines of various types that have been used over the years in several classes (still looking for an instructor to teach these classes again). Most are easy to figure out, but I found a couple today that I can't find any brand or purpose. All of them are essentially brand new, never run.

First one, very strange horizontal engine, low height:
IMAG0789.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

The canister thing under the cyl head is the muffler. Still has the factory paint on it.

Next one:
IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0792.jpg

String trimmer engine maybe? I think it's a 2-stroke.

Last edited:
I have 8 of these, still in brand new condition. No idea on the age, but they have been disassembled a few times. I don't think any of them have ever even had oil in them or run.

IMAG0798.jpg

I have 2 of these, still with the factory tags on them:

IMAG0793.jpg

IMAG0794.jpg

plus a bunch of other Hondas, all GX-series. I think I have 5 vertical shaft types, 12 hp.

A couple of these:

IMAG0799.jpg

Here's a couple of weird ones.

Mazda 13B Wankel rotary:
IMAG0795.jpg

My old 22RE sitting next to it, too.

Weird diesel that must have been part of a generator, I was told it still runs:
IMAG0796.jpg

IMAG0797.jpg

Besides tons of tools and other fun stuff, when I took over this huge shop space, there are about 3 dozen small engines of various types that have been used over the years in several classes (still looking for an instructor to teach these classes again). Most are easy to figure out, but I found a couple today that I can't find any brand or purpose. All of them are essentially brand new, never run.

View attachment 1213224
View attachment 1213225

The canister thing under the cyl head is the muffler. Still has the factory paint on it.

At our California Automotive Teachers conference last October, we heard about a program by Briggs or one of the other small engine companies to give snowblower engines to schools. A GIS doesn't show that exact one, but the Briggs blower engines are the same orange color.

mONpeCJmwTMcwMVOid7rTdQ.jpg

Briggs has donated a lot of engines, I also have 8 other engines still in the boxes. They were used years ago for FFA competitions. But the orange one is not a Briggs, the castings are too good. Hardware might even be JIS. It feels like something from Europe.

A nice donation from Stihl, cutaway of a chainsaw engine:
IMAG0800.jpg

This one looks like the engine that’s on my father’s old Montgomery Wards rototiller from the early ‘70s.
imag0798-jpg.1213235

The lower height orange one looks like it would just have a pulley attached to the short output shaft and run a belt drive. If it was to be mounted to a machine or a structure I have no clue...

the first one is a gas fired tugger/capstan winch....for , well, tugging...pulling wire/rope or cable. Never seen a gas fired version...I bet you wouldn't want to pick a fight with it...

the Kohler is a workhorse- that would make a mean go-cart motor...

View attachment 1213224
View attachment 1213225

Next one:
View attachment 1213226
View attachment 1213227

String trimmer engine maybe? I think it's a 2-stroke.

the first one- it's a TUGGER/aka capstan winch. for pulling things like wire or, say, trees....wrap the rope arou nd the chuck a few times and just tug on it for the machine to pull. the heavier the load, the more time you wrap the drum....that thing it pretty cool, I've never seen a gas fired one, but it makes sense.

I've used winches like that, they will have a geared down cathead, not direct off the crank, too high RPM it would burn the rope.

maybe it's an UNSPOOLER.....

In the early eighties B&S produced yellow engines (3, 3.5, 4 I/C) for Bunton's smaller commercial mowers. They were red for Bobcat/ransomes, etc... (When Bunton seed co. bought Good All they produced mowers with yellow tecumseh engines). They had a line of commercial equipment during the early eighties. The edger was a 3.0 hp horizontal, the 12" trimmer was 3.5 hp vertical, and the 21" was the 4.0 hp I/C vertical. They also made bigger hp yellow engines for the walk behind mowers etc... Honda made yellow ones for them as well. -When string (weed whackers) started being used more often the edgers faded. No surprise you have the horizontal engines. The machines they mostly went on went out of style. Also, earlier in the 70's B&S made a yellow engine called the 'golden boy' but I don't know what they were used on. Pretty cool seeing your engine without all the regulation decals. I'll try to take a pic n' post one with patina. Great engines, shafts bend. One root or stump and it's game over. Thanks for posting. Hope I didn't bump an old thread... New here

Here's the 3.0 hp. after 30 years of use. (Horizontal yellow B&S were also used on the Wolseley merry tiller rotovator.)

B&S 3.0 hp .jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom