TJM bent after collision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

This may be an odd question, but I just installed the TJM front bumper onto my LX470 less than two months ago and we were rear ended and pushed into the vehicle in front of us witch caused "minor" damage to the front bumper. It's not pinched anywhere but there is a slight bend to it, just enough to make it sit crooked on the frame. Is there anything I can do or anywhere I can take it to bend it back into place? We're in southern California I don't have the tools or man power to do it here at home and I'm trying to see if it's even worth it. I'd like to be able to salvage it as the other parties insurance has ruled it total loss and is skimping me on the salvage pay out.

Thanks.

IMG_6803.JPG

Is the front end the only damage?

Dealing with someone else's insurance, I've found, to be easier to get money than from your own provider. You were just driving along minding your business until their client damaged your property. They have a responsibility to put you back in 'your car' not just 'another car'. To me, that means a vehicle with the same or similar maintenance and the same or similar upgrades. If that vehicle doesn't exist, they adjust their figure up to compensate for your extras. You're in a more powerful position when you're not at the mercy of the people who bill you monthly.

Having said that, it should be pretty doable to straighten it out. Maybe find a frame or off-road shop that could do it?

No, I'll have to replace the rear bumper as well. Unfortunately, since the truck is 21 years old, the best they could do is offer me a settlement for basically half the salvage cost of it. Even with a back-and-forth from our attorney, that's what I ended up with.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago where my front TJM bumper sustained damage and was bent out of shape after a collision. Any autobody shop is used to fixing things so that's just what mine did. Considering they pull frames back to spec, bending a steel bumper back to spec shouldn't be difficult for them.

I feel like you got totally ripped off and I am mad. Are you sure you don't have significant back and neck pain??? Check real hard.

Yeah, replace your lawyer. what I've heard is lawyers make them to pay one or the other way. It's a shame your loosing a nice truck because of someone else's carelessness!

I feel like you got totally ripped off and I am mad. Are you sure you don't have significant back and neck pain??? Check real hard.
Yeah, replace your lawyer. what I've heard is lawyers make them to pay one or the other way. It's a shame your loosing a nice truck because of someone else's carelessness!
I feel like our lawyer is doing his job. That's just how it goes when you're going through someone else insurance. They're not in it to hook me up, they're in it to settle for the least amount possible. Plus, with a truck this old and people who don't value them the same way we do, it's not a good equation for a great pay out.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago where my front TJM bumper sustained damage and was bent out of shape after a collision. Any autobody shop is used to fixing things so that's just what mine did. Considering they pull frames back to spec, bending a steel bumper back to spec shouldn't be difficult for them.
Thanks. I'll be calling around today to see why it might cost.

If you have a full coverage you can ask your insurance to cut you a check for the damage and let them deal with the other insurance.

so what I would do is start sending them ads of comparable vehicles that you would be happy to have in the place of yours, tell them you will need a comparable 4x4 loaner until you are made whole with a replacement vehicle. Don't settle for their first offer

I feel like our lawyer is doing his job. That's just how it goes when you're going through someone else insurance. They're not in it to hook me up, they're in it to settle for the least amount possible. Plus, with a truck this old and people who don't value them the same way we do, it's not a good equation for a great pay out.
Their idiot client ruined your vehicle. They better hook you up, that is part of the reason why said idiot client has them in the first place.

why cant the other (persons at fault) insurance pay for your new TJM bumper? send them your invoice+ 3hr labor to install.

so what I would do is start sending them ads of comparable vehicles that you would be happy to have in the place of yours, tell them you will need a comparable 4x4 loaner until you are made whole with a replacement vehicle. Don't settle for their first offer

Yep, this. Do not accept first offer. They should make you whole at market rate for vehicle. Find comps.

I don't know how the TJM mounts to these trucks...

But if they are similar to the ARB, check the crush cans. They are designed to absorb the impact and they are probably bent.

I found this pic online... check these.

Perhaps you can buy new ones from TJM.

IMG_0938.JPG

Look into and write a complaint to your state insurance department about the insurance company low balling you. You'll need to submit comps and any emails or letters from the other insurance company, along with the written complaint. I would also get repair estimates and send those too, the damage doesn’t look too bad from here. Depending on your state laws it's worth looking into and worth a shot. I had a similar situation with a 85 Toyota 4x4 pickup in excellent shape, other guys insurance co. was trying to offer $2k and salvage, I ended up getting $4k, title stayed clear and got the truck repaired. All because I wrote a complaint to my state insurance dept. I called lawyers for advice and they all basically told me I was SOL because my truck was old, none of them recommended writing the state insurance dept. I found out about it by searching online. Didn’t cost me a dime either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom