Tire suggestions/feedback on 16” rims - 72 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there - I’m in the process of building my ‘72 FJ55 and at the point where I need rims and tires. While the body still has a long way to go, the undercarriage has been upgraded including frame powder coat, front/rear disk conversion, power steering, new springs (1-2” lift), shocks, etc. Fortunately the 14” rims and bald tires that came with the truck can’t be put back on so it’s time for new rims and tires.

I’m leaning towards the 16” City Racer rims but want to pair with a tire that maintains a stockish/retro, tall & skinny look.

I run 33” BFG KO2 on my FJ60 (stock rims) and was planning 235/85/16 All terrains for the 55 but all the threads I’m reading comment on how they run small. I’d like to stay true to a 31-32” diameter without going to mud terrain. I hear great things about the Yoko g003’s paired with the City Racer rims but from the pics I've seen, the look is a bit more aggressive than what I'm after.

Throwing it out there to see if anyone has 1.) gone the 16” City Racer rim route on their FJ55 and 2.) feedback suggestions for stockish all terrain tires that are true to size. I've been through a lot of threads but most everything I’ve seen is FJ40. Any & all suggestions and pictures you can share would be immensely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I am running 16x7 smoothies with 285/75/16 Thundertrac MT's. I know they are not all terrains, but they measure out at just under 33" tall. I do have the OME lift from Cruiser Outfitters.

IMG_1653.JPG

Last edited:

Look at the specs on your BFG 33s,which I also run. Use the tables on any mail order tire site like Tire Rack or Tire Buyer. They're actually 31.7" new. A 255x85R16 will get you close to a true 33" while the 235X85R16 will be about the same height as your supposed 33" BFGs. Believe Scrapdaddy is running the skinny 255s on 16s.

Last edited:
That truck is looking great!, regret selling it. But you are taking good care of it
Slowly but surely- next summer hope to replace all the floor pans . Glad you sold it to me. :);)🐷

Thanks for this thread. thought I had read them all. some great info in here.

The Wheel Vintiques Smoothies are cheap and easy. 4" backspace is standard, and can be had in 3.5 but they are more $$ and look weird because they reverse the rim to do it. Not worth it IMO. Buy them from Summit instead of WV because of the free shipping ( the guy at WV told me that lol). If you are bold and daring, you can do Dexstar trailer wheels and have the center bored out to work on a Toyota. They are super cheap and not recommended for use on a vehicle. Blah blah blah. So I am officially not recommending them but just sayin. I will probably end up with some at some point.

Also the WV wheels are low gloss grey primer powder coat. You can scotch brite them and paint or have them coated in your color choice. Factory stock color match for powder is RAL 7037

chiming in with my pig running 8.25r16 on split rims and 34x10.5r16s on 40series LX rims ????

What brand of tire is that ???

chiming in with my pig running 8.25r16 on split rims and 34x10.5r16s on 40series LX rims ????

What brand of tire is that ???
haulmax att304s (truck tyre) on the split rims and Super Swamper TSL's on the LX rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom