Tire question- anyone go from Nitto Terra G2 to Michelin LTX m/s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Big change in road noise? Worth the loss of "looks" to a quieter/smoother tire?

My 99 LC is more of a mall/family Cruiser as opposed to an off road Cruiser. I did add Sliders (expensive and better looking side steps) and a Prinsu roof rack.

Having said that, I don't want to add a lift or anything like that.

I currently have Nitto Terra Grappler G2. I have about 30K miles on them, and they have plenty of wear left...but I'm getting tired of the road noise on longer trips (typically make 2-1200+ trips per year). They look great...but considering replacing with LTX.

Thoughts?

Sliders 5.jpg

Last edited:
The Michelins are the quietest tire you will find for pretty much any vehicle. I've had several different brands over the years and the Michelins are no only tire that I've tried that NEVER had any road noise. They also ride smoother than anything out there, and last longer as well. I normally 60-70k miles out of them. There's a reason they're kind of pricey.

How does Michelin Defender LTX m/s compare to BFG KO2 (most popular AT tires here)? (In terms of noise, tire lifespan, snow/rain, nail damage proof etc.)

Last edited:
I have had Defender LTX on many vehicles and they are quiet and wear like iron. 'A' rated wet traction and 800 treadwear rating. Hard to find issues with them. They also tend to be very round and take few balance weights. If you drive 75-80 on freeways, they will be smooth.

No doubt the K02 is a better looking tire and performs well, too. As ATs go, they are pretty quiet, too. Obviously more 'offroad oriented', but any new tire with good tread will work for most people's offroad jobs.

Night and day difference in volume. It's as good as any other AT tire out there. You'll now also be able to track down all those interior squeaks and rattles better. 👍

View attachment 3482813
Volume...I assume road noise? That's what I'm really after...btw, nice rig!

Volume...I assume road noise? That's what I'm really after...btw, nice rig!

Yes, road noise. I'll go out on a limb and say it's even quieter inside the cabin compared to my 200 with Cooper AT3's. Yes, THAT much of a difference. It's really a fantastic tire. When that 100 came back from my son in CO, I needed to replace the tires and knew it was gonna be relegated to a family spare with occasional beach drive, so I didn't need to replace them with another aggressive AT. While it's still a 34" tire, it's quiet, tracks straight and floats great on sand even with the 10ply sidewall. The avg mpg may even be up slightly. Not so surprisingly I find myself driving it as much, if not more than the 200 these days...

I bought a set of wheels that had Defender LTX tires.
It's like a magic carpet ride compared to the Toyo Xtremes I've run for years.
The steering feels lighter too.
My plan was to use the Defenders through the summer and get new tires before winter.
Now I'm thinking I'll run them until they need replacement.

I bought a set of wheels that had Defender LTX tires.
It's like a magic carpet ride compared to the Toyo Xtremes I've run for years.
The steering feels lighter too.
My plan was to use the Defenders through the summer and get new tires before winter.
Now I'm thinking I'll run them until they need replacement.
Do you have any pictures with your rig with the Defender LTX's? They just seem more logical considering my mall cruisers driving habits vs. wanting it to look better lol

Surprised that no one has posted this yet, ha.

TL;DR

The Michelin Defender LTX is a fantastic all terrain tire that performs well in most situations with the exceptions of deep mud and hardcore rock crawling. This tire will get you to your destination quietly and smoothly and is tough enough to take you back home. Do not underestimate it looks.

Pros
- Excellent tread wear and tread life
- Smooth and quiet on the highway and off-road
- Light
- Extremely durable for a "street tire"

Cons
- Limited sizing, best to be had in an 18 inch as it can go up to a 34 inch size
- High cost of entry compared to other tires, even all-terrains
- Does not look cool for your cars and coffee events

Not exactly apples to apples, but my experiences…

Michelin Defender P275/60R18 on my 06 LX. Wonderful ride, no noise, lots of flats, good traction on road, marginal traction offroad.

Michelin AT/2 LT285/75R16 on my son’s 00 LC. Fair ride, mild noise, no flats, wears like iron, good traction on road, OK traction offroad, not very aggressive looking.

Nitto Terra Grapplers P265/50R20 (SL or XL) on my 80 year old mom’s 14 JGC. Fair ride, mild noise, loss of MPG from OE, no flats, wears well, good traction on road, fair traction offroad.

BFG AT KO2 LT285/75R16, LT285/65R18, and LT275/70R18 (on my 98/99/06 LX). Fair ride, fair noise, no flats, good traction on road, good traction offroad, wears well.

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures with your rig with the Defender LTX's? They just seem more logical considering my mall cruisers driving habits vs. wanting it to look better lol

Here's a few. Disregard the bumper gap. Haven't pinned it yet.

20231119_111644.jpg

20231119_111312.jpg

One more. Pics loading slow this morning.

20231119_111530.jpg

The Toyos are great tires too.
They wear like iron. No flats in 50,000 miles.
Picked up a nail already on the Defenders.
Toyos were good in the snow.
Don't know yet on the Defenders.

20220116_104442.jpg

The Toyos are great tires too.
They wear like iron. No flats in 50,000 miles.
Picked up a nail already on the Defenders.
Toyos were good in the snow.
Don't know yet on the Defenders.

View attachment 3485883
Are your Defenders P-rated, or LT?

What size spacers are you running
Slee 1.25
Never had a problem with them in 10 years. Just follow the directions. Good stuff.

Had Defenders and man that was the smoothest/quietest tire I've ever owned. Took em to an offroad park and went surprisingly well.
People sleep on those tires but they perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom