Time to upgrade. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Apparently jokes aren't your thing. :hillbilly:
The one drawback of the internet... we miss all the loverly subtext of sarcasm and wit. Now I appreciate it. :)

It just drives me nuts that the only thing that car makers think we care about it how entertaining our cars can be. I can't get a HILUX but a Tacoma is just as good... no better; cause you get 18 cup holders and a TV and ass warmers... nobody needs a solid axle or a metal bed or, god forbid, a good Diesel.

Also @mechanist and @ewillis , I assume that this only applies to the front brakes? The rear stays stock and the front get the new hi-steer kit and a brake kit? Will the TDR set fit, it there value in this?

Front brakes/calipers only. There's huge value in this setup IMO, but I can give you no direction. This knuckle kit is brand new and no one has installed it yet. I was halfway kidding that you use it...uncharted territory, but looks great. Give this thread a read from more experienced guys (don't listen to me...I'm just an instigator ;)).
New Keyed Steering Knuckles!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that happened from hydroplaning.

I think dad was testing the lockers out for you. Lol

We were doing 80 on I80 in the desert between SLC and Wendover and I was on a conference call while my 70 year old Dad was driving. (Safety First.... LOL) When we started hydroplaning he starts sawing at the wheel saying 'nozink ist happening' (Did I mention he's German.) Then the rig jerked VIOLENTLY to the left then with a massive SNAP we were thrown back to the right. Then terrible noise and ABS light come on and shuddering. We limp to the only gas station in the desert where we discover the damage (which at this point includes glowing rims and a blown brake line.).

Cursory RCA leads me to think that while sawing at the wheel the rubber hit dry pavement at an oblique angle and the forward momentum was transferred latterly to the front wheel. All that momentum and 30 year old components was too much and something gave way. I plan to photograph the disassembly step by step and share whatever I find.

Most likely, the knuckle nuts/studs were loose and sheared off, causing a loss of steering, or the wheel bearing was loose, and gave up the ghost.

Most likely, the knuckle nuts/studs were loose and sheared off, causing a loss of steering, or the wheel bearing was loose, and gave up the ghost.

That's Herr Vater's story also. But since that is the obvious story I have to look for the alternatives... did I mention I'm a Reliability Engineer by profession?

Glad you guys walked away unscathed. I'm really curious to see what the damage is.

I have to give credit where credit is due. I was convinced we were going to flip or plow into the 'lake' but that man ,70 year old reflexes and all, recovered like a pro and kept us on the asphalt and the shiny side up. We were coming back from my last post-op visit to my orthopedic surgeon and I was seriously thinking 'Oh crap... what am I going to loose next?' - I have a severe case of gallows humour.

Dad was "sawing wheel"-not sure what that means but it sounds sketchy- while going 80 mph on a wet highway.
Must see picks of the carnage...

That's Herr Vater's story also. But since that is the obvious story I have to look for the alternatives... did I mention I'm a Reliability Engineer by profession?
Since you asked for it: stop putzing around, and get a real front axle: install a built Dana 60.

Since you asked for it: stop putzing around, and get a real front axle: install a built Dana 60.

Or sell the 80 and buy a Unimog. Upgrade the axles and downgrade the operating speed.

Well - mine was a joke too :oops:. Unimogs can't go into NYC parking garages, Starbucks drive-through, or subcompact parking at the mall (with 315s I still have at least 1/4 inch on each side, and backed in the bull bar is still out of the aisle). But now it's not funny :(.
As I live in Nevada none of those apply to me, and I would love a Unimog or a ZIL. I had a Lada NIVA which I sold last year as the cool factor didn't quite overpower the lack of functionality.

Maybe if I could convince my wife to let me build that workshop in the backyard.

I saw a bumper today from a company called AVID. Amazing bumper, it's not on the website but call them to get it: AVID Horns and Train Horns - Misc

Also, a lift, bigger tires, cupholders, etc.

Zona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom