Throwout Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok guys. Here are some pics....

9AF6B048-F7DA-49EB-A1CE-DFEF20B27E45.jpeg

8B8BFB6B-4201-4730-9C9E-BC94C2A88BCC.jpeg

Wow, I would have thought that would have made a lot more noise upon disintegration than "heard a loud ping."

I do not know what disk it was. It was put in the truck back In 2006 in Monteagle Tennessee by a guy. I was in school there and blew the clutch in some heavy mud.

To ALL, The Saga Continues...

Last week after the clutch install, All Trans employee Chuck drives 40 one mile. Drives great then clutch is not releasing. They pull trans as a clutch adjustment did not correct issue. They find that the Pilot bearing has walked out on the crankshaft and is stuck to the transmission input shaft.... they re-seat pilot bearing. Drive. Repeat problem as clutch not releasing. Pull Trans, put their favorite Loctite on Pilot Bearing and reinstall. Drive around and after several miles the same issue. They have not pulled the Trans again.
-Chuck made the comment that the engine was running rich and he smelled like a lot of gas insinuating this could be related to some internal engine trouble or worn crankshaft bearings resulting in a rich run. I just think he hasn't been in old land cruiser in a while. But this could also be the case...

Other Notes from Chuck.....
- Dowl pins are in place
- all alignment is true

This seems like a serious issue ....

Dear ALL... PROBLEM SOLVED

I apologize for bringing up an old thread but I think everyone should hear about this. During the process of replacing my engine mounts I had been prying the engine around a bit... as you will... to get the new engine mounts in place. Very gentle and methodical... nothing crazy. ( Engine still connected to bell housing/transmission/in vehicle )
# I purchased this fj40 from a man claiming it was from Costa Rica... it does seem to have a very low first gear#

Skip forward a few months and mechanics find, while replacing the new clutch they had installed with a transmission rebuild several months previously, that the Pilot Bearing is walking out on the crank shaft...

### - The belhhousing was not bolted to the Engine !! May never have been in the 15 years ive owned the vehicle.... so much mud and gunk on it I never noticed.
In replacing the engine mounts I had separated the engine from the bellhousing at such an angle that the pilot bearing was walking out.
I hope this may be helpful for someone down the road.... Stupid Problem

Thanks for following through with your updates. It serves as a good reminder that when you have an unusual problem you can't take anything for granted when searching for the solution. I'm glad you got things worked out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom