Throwout Bearing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tcase is stuck in neutral. Disconnect the linkage from the arm on the top of the t-case. If you cannot feel positive detents in all three positions, then the hi Lo linkage inside the case is no longer functioning.
Sitting here trying to figure it out...Palm of hand to forehead...Of course! so simple. The ping was the transfer case popping out of gear.

Have had it happen. The dent ball was not engaging completely on my transfer case and would pop out when decelerating in low range.

373475C0-9D67-4009-BD58-7678716C0ADB.jpeg
Update. Clutch disengaged

928E399F-3137-40E4-8A7F-8E1157844048.jpeg
I have the transfer case linkeage disconnected and I do not feel much of any detent between high and low range

My Clutch fork seems to missing the pins. Could this be my issue? Maybe combined with sluggish slave cylinder ?

Clutch engaged

your pix are mislabeled. stepping on the pedal will(or should!) disengage the disc, otherwise the clutch is engaged.

The
your pix are mislabeled. stepping on the pedal will(or should!) disengage the disc, otherwise the clutch is engaged.

THankyou for the correction. It still shows that my clutch linkage and throw out bearing are properly working. Must be internal in the transfer case

I still don’t believe it can be your transfer case. If in fact you can shift through your transmission gears, with motor running, and clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) I believe your not getting power into the transmission.

I still don’t believe it can be your transfer case. If in fact you can shift through your transmission gears, with motor running, and clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) I believe your not getting power into the transmission.
Easy enough to check. Put it on jack stands and with the engine running look in the bellhousing to see if the flywheel is rotating.

There is no resistance on tc output side because it’s in neutral so the tranny can be shifted freely. If it’s in gear lo or hi (therefore there is output resistance from remaining drivetrain and vehicle weight/kinematics) than the clutch needs to be disengaged so there’s no resistance on the input side to be able to shift gears in the tranny. Hop in your rig and check it out. If you’ve ever had your rig’s tc pop out of gear when going down hill and the tranny is in gear you know it will just coast freely. I’ve had that happen to me, a not-so-uncommon problem with SBCs that have had the tc shift moved from dash to floor (early models) because the floor shift linkage was doinked up.

OP, Mark was referring to feeling any detent pressure on the tc gear lever (what you have your finger on in your pic). Try moving it back and forth BUT NOT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND TRANNY IN ANY GEAR AND YOU OR ANYONE UNDERNEATH. You should feel a definite pressure going back and forth from lo to neutral to hi, etc. If you don’t feel any such pressure than it’s not responding to the gear shift movement and is therefore stuck in neutral for some reason.

Sorry for the diatribe. Paul

There is no resistance on tc output side because it’s in neutral so the tranny can be shifted freely. If it’s in gear lo or hi (therefore there is output resistance from remaining drivetrain and vehicle weight/kinematics) than the clutch needs to be disengaged so there’s no resistance on the input side to be able to shift gears in the tranny. Hop in your rig and check it out. If you’ve ever had your rig’s tc pop out of gear when going down hill and the tranny is in gear you know it will just coast freely. I’ve had that happen to me, a not-so-uncommon problem with SBCs that have had the tc shift moved from dash to floor (early models) because the floor shift linkage was doinked up.

OP, Mark was referring to feeling any detent pressure on the tc gear lever (what you have your finger on in your pic). Try moving it back and forth BUT NOT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND TRANNY IN ANY GEAR AND YOU OR ANYONE UNDERNEATH. You should feel a definite pressure going back and forth from lo to neutral to hi, etc. If you don’t feel any such pressure than it’s not responding to the gear shift movement and is therefore stuck in neutral for some reason.

Sorry for the diatribe. Paul

Thnkx for all comments Paul. I do feel definite pressure when going between lo hi and neut., when feeling where my hand is in the pic. The flywheel is spinning.

Tomorow I will speak with the TrAnsmission repair shop. Flywheel is spinning, I can feel hi lo and hi in the transfer case by manually grappling the linkage, and I can visually see the slave cylinder engaging and disengaging all the way to the clutch fork and throw out bearing.

Easy enough to check. Put it on jack stands and with the engine running look in the bellhousing to see if the flywheel is rotating.

??? The flywheel will turn no matter what the clutch is doing, It's connected directly to your crank shaft. The clutch pressure plate is then bolted directly to the fly wheel. It will also be turning no matter what. Inside the the pressure plate there is a clutch disk. I'm guessing there is something defective with the clutch disk or engaging mechanism on the pressure plate. Especially since they were just replaced. Or maybe the mechanic who installed them just did something wrong (i.e didn't torque down bolts holding on pressure plates). Hard to say without seeing this in person.

You guys can jump all over this long shot BUT...about 20 years ago on my Fiat the splined center on the clutch disk came loose and the flywheel would spin and I could shift gears with engine running but no power to the wheels.

A few years after that my sons 86 slant 6 dodge van had a similar problem. From what we could figure the clutch disk had been in stalled backward and the metal fatigued and broke loose with same results. The engine would run and gears would shift but no power to wheels.

Have you tried putting the trans in gear and make sure the transfer cast is engaged then seeing if the vehicle can be rolled by hand. Have someone to work the brake if you are close to any inclines.

Another thought for checking. Can you see the transmission input shaft at all with the clutch engaged? If so, try the following.

Have the engine off, both transmission and transfer case in gear, one rear wheel up off the ground (assuming open dif, and jack stand under one side of the axle), and the others blocked so no movement possible. Have a helper turn the wheel in either direction. If both the transfer case and transmission are engaged in any gear, and the clutch is working, the rear wheel will not turn. If both the trans and TC are in gear, the center of the clutch is loose in any way, or the disc is not clamped by the pressure plate, the transmission input shaft will turn and/or the disc will turn, but the pressure plate won't. If either the transmission or the transfer case is not in gear the transmission input shaft and clutch won't turn, but the helper will be able to turn the wheel.

I hope I got everything for this situation. Worth a try at this point.

Don

Update....
I towed the 40 back to the transmission shop who had rebuilt the tranny. Apparently the Clutch Hub has ripped off and this is what was causing the problem.
I must speculate that when I replaced the (possibly original) engine mounts that I changed the alignment of the transmission and clutch parts,etc. I’m thinking this new alignment could be what caused the clutch hub to fly apart. I should hopefully have some pictures later today from the transmission shop and I will post them. THankyou everyone for you insight and thoughts on the matter. - JW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom