Throttle linkage help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this Cruiser as a project and it wasn’t running, so I am trying to piece it together. I put a city racer carb on and re assembled the throttle linkage.

The gas pedal basically sits on the floor and when I push the pedal it barely moves the linkage on the carb. I am pretty sure I have the linkage from the carb to the firewall the correct way (after reading other threads)

I am thinking my problem is maybe missing a spring on the gas pedal itself. Other than the clips being installed backwards, do you see anything that I am missing? Thank you

CAE2DF7C-7D6F-465C-99E2-923DE623DC36.jpeg

4BDA818A-A02D-43D8-A210-8189249B52A9.jpeg

346347D7-6FA1-4A2E-A1E6-324DBDCA6067.jpeg

9B338B1F-3058-4EFF-9999-6F4C3497C4C9.jpeg

the horizontal rod, from firewall to carb, should be level. yours looks like it is angled up to the carb
can't remember which way the rod goes
also it is throttle linkage not throttle cable

I can take some pics of mine tomorrow if that would help. I’m in CT… so that would be eastern standard time. I’m often up very early. At work now… truck at home.

Here's mine. Original 2F carb so not City Racer, but maybe a point of reference for you. Horizontal rod is angled up a little bit on mine as well. OP is the photo of the rod on yours taken with the pedal bound (like stuck to the floor)? Hard to see in your photo, but the return spring in the cab is actually connected to the pedal rod on your right? Looks like it but it also might be just hanging down due to the angle of the shot.

Linkage4.jpg
linkage2.jpg

Linkage1.jpg
Linkage4.jpg
Pedal1.jpg
Pedal2.jpg

Linkage3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread had me verifying everything on my setup! I have a CityRacer carb as well. But as I was looking at things I got a little concerned about my throttle cable, is it supposed to have this slight droop in it, or has it been deformed due to it possibly coming in contact with the wiring on the ICS? Is it “limiting” my throttles complete range of operation? Thanks
7C274A3F-6D63-4C21-86DA-8262307DDADC.jpeg
976AF43F-58BE-46A4-AAD6-D8063B3A37C0.jpeg

Here's mine. Original 2F carb so not City Racer, but maybe a point of reference for you. Horizontal rod is angled up a little bit on mine as well. OP is the photo of the rod on yours taken with the pedal bound (like stuck to the floor)? Hard to see in your photo, but the return spring in the cab is actually connected to the pedal rod on your right? Looks like it but it also might be just hanging down due to the angle of the shot.

View attachment 3092639View attachment 3092637
View attachment 3092636View attachment 3092639View attachment 3092646View attachment 3092648

View attachment 3092638
At a quick glance I think my linkage is hooked up the same as yours, my horizontal link may need to be rotated a bit, bc it is hitting the linkage base that bolts onto the carb. Yes my pedal is basically stuck to the ground when I hook it up, it makes me wonder if I’m either missing a spring inside on the pedal or my vertical linkage connecting the pedal to the carb isn’t log enough.

What about that square in the top of the pedal, does a spring go there?

24CF9475-107F-4D45-9D1D-E13494CD8C94.jpeg

What about that square in the top of the pedal, does a spring go there?

No. That's for the hand throttle cable option on the dash.

1661102335134.png

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420601622.079044.jpg

Option to pull a cable from the dash to run the engine for winches and whatnot. That cable attaches to that square hole to allow you to pull on the cable, which just pulls on the pedal bracket.

I only have a single spring on mine inside the cab. If the one spring in your cab is attached, then I don't think you are missing anything there.

In your photo, it almost looks like the linkage is getting bound against the spring bracket. Could just be shadows in the photo though:

9B338B1F-3058-4EFF-9999-6F4C3497C4C9.jpg

Did you use any kind of lube on the linkage joints? I don't recall right now the mothership requires for that. The linkage moves quite a bit IMO so if yours isn't something ain't right. Its not obvious to me in your photos.

No. That's for the hand throttle cable option on the dash.

View attachment 3092971

View attachment 3092983

Option to pull a cable from the dash to run the engine for winches and whatnot. That cable attaches to that square hole to allow you to pull on the cable, which just pulls on the pedal bracket.

I only have a single spring on mine inside the cab. If the one spring in your cab is attached, then I don't think you are missing anything there.

In your photo, it almost looks like the linkage is getting bound against the spring bracket. Could just be shadows in the photo though:

View attachment 3092976

Did you use any kind of lube on the linkage joints? I don't recall right now the mothership requires for that. The linkage moves quite a bit IMO so if yours isn't something ain't right. Its not obvious to me in your photos.
Thank you. Yes I do have the spring hooked up and it was getting bound by the spring bracket. Makes me think I need to rotate it, I will also look into what lube I should be using to lube it up

Your throttle looks like it's wide open at the carb, which I guess is obvious since your pedal is at the floor. Look at the parts I circled and compare to @NeverGiveUpYota 's photos. I am assuming this was taken with the engine off.

The spring (red) is stretched out and the rotating plate on the carb with the spring hanger (green) is rotated up. If this is stuck in this position, then that explains why your gas pedal would be at the floor or near it, and have no more action. This is where you'd be when accelerating.

In @NeverGiveUpYota 's pics you can see that the spring is not stretched, and the hanger is in a plumb and level position, where it would be at idle.

So the question is, where is it hung up and what is keeping it in this position? Can you manually close the throttle by rotating it (green) back, and if not, if you disconnect the linkage from the carb will it return to the idle position? Either one might tell you whether the problem is at the linkage or the carb.

Also, there is no call for lube in the linkage. It's supposed to be a dry fit. I tried both ways and all the lube did was attract grime.

9B338B1F-3058-4EFF-9999-6F4C3497C4C9.jpg

Your throttle looks like it's wide open at the carb, which I guess is obvious since your pedal is at the floor. Look at the parts I circled and compare to @NeverGiveUpYota 's photos. I am assuming this was taken with the engine off.

The spring (red) is stretched out and the rotating plate on the carb with the spring hanger (green) is rotated up. If this is stuck in this position, then that explains why your gas pedal would be at the floor or near it, and have no more action. This is where you'd be when accelerating.

In @NeverGiveUpYota 's pics you can see that the spring is not stretched, and the hanger is in a plumb and level position, where it would be at idle.

So the question is, where is it hung up and what is keeping it in this position? Can you manually close the throttle by rotating it (green) back, and if not, if you disconnect the linkage from the carb will it return to the idle position? Either one might tell you whether the problem is at the linkage or the carb.

Also, there is no call for lube in the linkage. It's supposed to be a dry fit. I tried both ways and all the lube did was attract grime.

View attachment 3093634
^^this.

Open the choke plate and look down the primary throttle bore. Is the throttle plate open (vertical) or closed (horizontal)? If it is vertical, disconnect the linkage and see if it closes. If the throttle is open, snap the rod end off the lever (green arrow is pointing to rod end, and remove the ball from the socket at the other end of the lever. The throttle plate should close. If it doesn't , you have a problem with the linkage on the carb. If it does, you still need to sort out something with the accelerator linkage.

1661171699571.png

^^this.

Open the choke plate and look down the primary throttle bore. Is the throttle plate open (vertical) or closed (horizontal)? If it is vertical, disconnect the linkage and see if it closes. If the throttle is open, snap the rod end off the lever (green arrow is pointing to rod end, and remove the ball from the socket at the other end of the lever. The throttle plate should close. If it doesn't , you have a problem with the linkage on the carb. If it does, you still need to sort out something with the accelerator linkage.

View attachment 3093791
@2mbb @DFXR I rechecked the linkage and the spring is closed and the throttle is not wide open- but the pedal is still close to the floor and the linkage circled in red occasionally gets stuck on the bracket.

I am starting to think maybe my vertical linkage is too short, I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner threw one on there from a FJ40 or cut it and welded who knows, is there anyway anyone can measure that vertical linkage coming from the pedal up the the horizontal linkage connected to the firewall?

my vertical linkage is 205mm ball center line to ball center line. Also, the horizontal rod should be installed as shown with the longer rod (red) at the carburetor and the shorter rod (green) at the firewall.

If you disconnect the vertical rod, does the accelerator pull away from the firewall? If your vertical rod is really too short, holding the pedal down, the pedal should return to the "idle" location. I took my vertical rod off to measure it for you and the pedal and other linkage did not move. At this "idle position" with the spring on the pedal and the spring on the primary throttle all the linkage stays at rest. good luck.

1662685129744.png

Last edited:
@2mbb @DFXR i thought I’d post a reply. I ended up switching the horizontal linkage around from the firewall to the carb and that fixed it!

@2mbb @DFXR i thought I’d post a reply. I ended up switching the horizontal linkage around from the firewall to the carb and that fixed it!
Another thing I noticed about your throttle is that your clips are in the wrong position. Hopefully not binding things up. The clips that hold the ball in the joint. they should be like Getsch's image here:

1667657209507.png

Another thing I noticed about your throttle is that your clips are in the wrong position. Hopefully not binding things up. The clips that hold the ball in the joint. they should be like Getsch's image here:

View attachment 3159820
Thank you, I switched them around and it’s not hitting the carb plate or catching anywhere that I noticed. (Although I haven’t taken it for a spin yet- got the truck running.. now it won’t go into gear. Hoping that’s just something going on in the shifter)

And you can remove the clips from the smaller balls, they just shove into their sockets. Only the large horizonal rod gets clipped in place with the clip between the housing and the rod ...not around the neck of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom