Thoughts/Advice/Wisdom on ARB NitroCharger Sport (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I am lined up with Slee to have sliders installed, the next thing I'm looking at is a suspension upgrade. After talking with Amory at Slee I have decided to go with the ARB NitroCharger Sport. The BP-51s are simply more than I need and of course cost more. And, no, I most certainly don't need the Icons! Unlike some, I need to be cost-conscious. ;)

That said, I will still need to make choices on which setup to get and when to do this. Here is some background. Our 2016 LC was new and purchased August 1. I just crossed over 10K miles. We'll be doing a road trip to Sedona via Moab and other points in Utah and another road trip to the PNW some time over the next 3 or so months. In both cases there may be some mild "off pavement". After those road trips I expect to have about 20K on the stock shocks.

Then later in the Spring we will start doing some trailer towing. Hitch weight runs between 700 and 750 before applying of weight distribution via the hitch.

In terms of weight, no aftermarket bumpers. Passengers when traveling is just myself and my wife. Rear seats removed though I have a couple of DIY drawers in the back so with them loaded they probably offset the weight loss due to the removal of the seats. (I may add the seats back in for the trip to the PNW.)

I probably carry around 100# of recovery and other gear just behind the 2nd row.

So the questions if any of you have experience with this setup.
  • "Medium" kit (recommended by Slee for "stock" vehicles) or "heavy" kit due to the need to do towing? (If the Medium is adequate and also an improvement over the stock/original shocks/springs then there is probably not a need for the Heavy kit, right?)
  • Do people ever mix the Medium kit in front and the Heavy in back due to the occasional need to support the trailer weight?
  • Should I wait until the Spring to change or make the move before our long, mostly-freeway road trips? Would we notice a significant difference on the freeway? Would it be worse on the freeway in terms of comfort for long driving days?
  • How long can I go on the "stock"/original shocks? Should I simply wait until after Breckenridge when I can possibly ride in someone else's rig with this system to see how it feels?
I have never done anything but stock suspensions so I really have no idea what to expect. And sometimes when I start thinking about something like this I get antsy to try it out. But if my stock/original shocks are good enough and there is not a significant difference (that is what I am not clear on) then maybe I wait until, what, 40-50K on the stock/original shocks. I'm also a bit concerned that if the stocks/springs are significantly firmer we are going to be less comfortable on long freeway drives. (In other words, I'm not a fan of "BMW"-like "feel the road" when I go on long road trips.)

Hi there!
My experience with the stock suspension vs. the NitroCharger Sports is the stock is much smoother and more comfortable. Crisper...
The Nitro Charger set-up gave my cruiser a firmer ride, and numbed the steering slightly. I didn't change the stock suspension until about 140,000 miles. Slee can help you pick the right set-up.
I got better gas mileage with the stock set up and cruising at speed was effortless stock. Not that it's harder with a lift and 33's, I just know it's not the same. These things are really dialed in stock.
That being said, I wouldn't go back because my cruiser looks so bad ass with the lift and tires. It went from mom to Bomb! Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks! The ride is what concerns me. For me, the looks are not important. But the ride and functionality are. I am only interested in a lift if it will make a significant difference when off road - which I do about 5% of the time. The problem I see with a lift is that it may affect access to the rear cargo area or even into the cabin. 2" isn't a huge difference but I am not a tall person and my wife is less so. Apart from better angles for off road I'm not sure how it helps. I have the 285/65R18 tires and I don't plan to go larger. So for me it is primarily about the ride comfort and the towing stability.

How much does your trailer weigh? How often and far will you tow?

Stay away from Heavy unless you've got a couple hundy lbs of constant weight on them.

Recommendations for you to research:

Bilstein shocks, with adjustable front clip
OEM front spacer
Rear OME 2720
Rear OME trim packers, two per side

How much does your trailer weigh? How often and far will you tow?

Stay away from Heavy unless you've got a couple hundy lbs of constant weight on them.

Recommendations for you to research:

Bilstein shocks, with adjustable front clip
OEM front spacer
Rear OME 2720
Rear OME trim packers, two per side

You're referencing the Bilstein 4600s correct? Do you have this setup? I already have the 2720s and trim packers installed, looking for a shock that wont break the bank to go with them. Thanks for the info

I got the heavy lift OME and have no regrets. I do have a camper I tow ocassionally and also have storage drawers in the back. I originally went Mediums on my 80 and quickly upgraded. When you load up for a trip whether it be camping or other, you will be glad to have the heavies

I din't feel the BP-51s where woth the xtra coinage. I am sure the ride is better. I would have set it in one position and left it because I am lazy :D Since I had the OME on my 80 and 100, I knew I would get a lift that had a great ride on and off road

The lift will also enable better tires which help your on road performance especially in bad weather. With a lift, you are better equiped to go through deeper snow than at stock height. True its only a couple of inches, but hey a guy needs all the help he can get :D

You're referencing the Bilstein 4600s correct? Do you have this setup? I already have the 2720s and trim packers installed, looking for a shock that wont break the bank to go with them. Thanks for the info

I'm not sure, I don't have them

I just posted this in the "What have you done....?" thread.

"Finally got some suspension modifications done this week on my 2009 LC and picked up a set of Rock Warrior wheels with 285/70/17 BFG KO2 tires.

Front: OME 2702 coils, 91005 struts, SPC Upper Control Arms
Rear: OME 2722 coils, 61029 struts, 661 shock guards

I know that this is a fairly common setup....and for good reason. Rides great on the road (very little road noise from the KO2's in my opinion) and has been confidence-inspiring in some limited trail, dirt road driving."

That is the Stock/Medium setup. Some background - My 2009 had about 94,000 miles when I got the suspension done this week. I'm not a true mudder or frequent off-road driver. I do some overland stuff, go camping up north (Prescott, Sedona, etc.), and have a few trails/dirt roads near me in the desert so I was looking for something that would give me a little more clearance and reveal a little more of the capabilities of the Land Cruiser. I also have a wife and kids that needed to be considered who weren't looking to have to climb in and out of a "monster truck." o_O I believe the 200 is an immensely capable vehicle but it is initially configured and put on dealership lots with a suspension and wheel/tire package that helps them sell to guys who in many cases also have to get a little buy-in from their wives. This is perfectly fine and understandable but in trying to "thread the needle" between providing a true offroad vehicle that fits with Land Cruiser history AND making sure that the wife is still comfy climbing in and out, toting kids to soccer practice, etc. I feel (personal opinion) that the LC has been a little bit neutered. Let's remember, things like locking differentials, Crawl control, etc. can be turned on and off with a button. But you can't press a button to change the wheels/tires/suspension so the vehicles are delivered with a bit of a mass market appeal (yes, the LC "mass market" is much smaller than others). Long story, short - I wish I would have done this suspension modification sooner but at the same time I feel like I thoroughly understand and appreciate, after 94K miles, what this upgrade does. Waiting for a little while (be it 10K, 40K miles, etc.) lets you get to know your vehicle and understand it which I think will aid you in making the right modification decisions. I considered the BP-51 as well but couldn't justify the price difference. I also like the benefit of having seen others try things first....and the setup I have now is quite common around here and I think it's really been dialed in over the years for the 200 series. You're not experimenting with something that few people have tried before. This setup works!

To answer a couple of your specific questions -

• "Medium" kit (recommended by Slee for "stock" vehicles) or "heavy" kit due to the need to do towing? (If the Medium is adequate and also an improvement over the stock/original shocks/springs then there is probably not a need for the Heavy kit, right?)
I went with the Stock/Medium load coils because I don't have a bull bar/bumper (yet) or a constant/frequent load of more than 200 lbs. To me, you should be fine towing the trailer with the Medium suspension but I'd verify that. If you think you'll have a CONSTANT load of 200+ lbs. like loaded drawers, a permanent fridge or bull bar (front or rear) then strongly consider the Heavy suspension on the appropriate end of the vehicle.

• Do people ever mix the Medium kit in front and the Heavy in back due to the occasional need to support the trailer weight?

Also, I'm not an expert but I'd say yes, you can mix the Medium and Heavy on either end of the vehicle, again, based on having a constant weight on one end or the other. Put it this way, if you have a heavy bull bar/bumper on the front that is permanent you pretty much HAVE TO go with the heavy setup or you'll sag, sit lower than spec, and/or bottom out and hit bump stops when going over bumps.

Final thoughts - I feel like my LC has had a little bit of a rebirth. It's almost like this is how it was meant to be delivered. The pronounced 3" rake (downward slope of the vehicle from rear to front) has been reduced by raising the front 2" and bringing the rear up about 0.5 - 0.75". The suspension is a little bit firmer but it's not stiff. It's hard to describe but it just feels more confident and capable. Dare I say, I think I saw my truck smile when it rolled out of the shop with all it's new parts! :D

1zguyhv.jpg

just wanted to post so I get alerts on this thread. Getting ready to lift my 09

FWIW...you don't have to post to get alerts. Just scroll to the top and on the right hand side above the post, you'll see a "Watch Thread" link in yellow. Click that, and you can then tell it to alert you via email...or not.

@RTaylor, our trailor has a dry weight of just under 5K# and a GVWR of 6K#. We typically load it to about 5500#. Tongue weight, with the Hensley hitch installed is ~700-725#s when loaded. (I use a Sherline scale to check it while loading and I tend to load a bit more in the rear to keep it in that range.)

As for towing, we don't really tow from November to April. Starting in May we'll do something like a long weekend a month and travel maybe 200 miles from home on average. In the next year or so we will start doing much longer (2-3K miles) road trips throughout the west. Maybe even this summer. BTdW, I have already towed some with the stock suspension and it is not terrible. I'm not trying to "fix a problem". Simply thinking that if I do replace the current shocks, I wouldn't mind getting a bit more help with the trailer. Less sag when I drop the 700lbs of tongue weight on the rear.

@Romer, I also felt the BP-51s were too much money for what I need. If I start wth the more basic setup I can always upgrade further in the future. As for tires, I'll certainly stick with the 285/65R18 KO2s until they wear out. Then maybe go to 33s.

@jetstream23, thanks for all the info! Your truck looks great. BTW, we'll be headed to the Sedona area next month and hope to do a bit of mild off-roading (if you have any suggestions please PM me). I don't plan to add bumpers. Instead of drawers I simply have some DIY ones that are much lighter. On road trips I may have 200# of gear. When not traveling it is only me, maybe 100# of gear. So not heavily loaded at all. I'll see what the Slee folks say about doing heavy in the rear and medium in the front. I'll go see what they say on the other thread.

Have you looked at Tough Dog? Just finished reading a shock review and TD came out on top. Check them out.
Tough Dog will be my suspension.

Someone asked me separately what height I'm at now (from ground to top of wheel well) so I thought I'd share that...

Front is about 37 1/2"
Rear is about 38 1/2"

Here is conundrum that I am having at the moment. I want to lift my LC but I am not sure if I should do it now or not. I am going to be going with and ARB bull bar and 9000 winch, but not quite yet. Should I go a head and get the heavier suspension in the front end and run without the bar for a bit, or should I wait. Will the ride be that much stiffer?

I am looking at either doing OME medium weight or the Tough Dog medium load. With that said is there really that big of a difference between the 40, 45, or 53 set ups?

Someone asked me separately what height I'm at now (from ground to top of wheel well) so I thought I'd share that...

Front is about 37 1/2"
Rear is about 38 1/2"

Thanks! Good info. And a relatively easy measurement to do. I just checked mine. Stock suspension with 285/65R18 KO2s. I measured 35" front, 36" rear. So given that my tires are only 0.2" less diameter than yours (0.1" height) that suggests that I might be almost the same height as you after adding the OME lift (~2.5" higher than I am now). I know the Slee website says that with those springs it will be a 2" lift. So maybe I end up a half inch shorter. Not a big deal at that point. 2-2.5" is fine with me.

I would be interested in the difference in approach/departure/breakover angles compared to stock. I can do the trig myself but maybe someone already has.

Here is conundrum that I am having at the moment. I want to lift my LC but I am not sure if I should do it now or not. I am going to be going with and ARB bull bar and 9000 winch, but not quite yet. Should I go a head and get the heavier suspension in the front end and run without the bar for a bit, or should I wait. Will the ride be that much stiffer?

I am looking at either doing OME medium weight or the Tough Dog medium load. With that said is there really that big of a difference between the 40, 45, or 53 set ups?

I just ordered my Tough Dog 45MM kit through Jason @reevesci. If you pm him soon he might be able to get your order added to the incoming pallet. Great guy to deal with and great prices.

In fact we're in talks of fabing a custom front and rear bumper for the 200 at some point.

Last edited:
I just ordered my Tough Dog 45MM kit through Jason @reevesci. If you pm him soon he might be able to get your order added to the incoming pallet. Great guy to deal with and great prices.

In fact we're in talks of fabing a custom front and rear bumper for the 200 at some point.

Jason is a good guy

Thanks guys. I have a handful of different 200 kits on this order.

41mm bore foam cell w/ comfort/light and constant rear springs
45mm bore 9 stage adjustable foam cell w/ comfort/light and constant rear springs

Comfort = 0-660# load rate
Constant= 660-1100# load rate

J

Jetstream, my wife has a 2013 with very tired suspension (124,000). I have read numerous threads here and other places about a replacement. I thought I had made my mind up, but I spoke with Slee and they advised to go with the BP-51 for the best on road ride. Again I thought I had made up my mind to cry once and purchase, but then I read threads of individuals spending months trying to dial in the BP-51 system and some other issues that seem to have been corrected by OME. That said, I ran across your post and I am now thinking the Nitro Sports will be my best choice. I had this setup on my 80 and can't remember being unhappy, but at the same time I can't remember the ride feel from 3 years ago. Your statement: " I also like the benefit of having seen others try things first....and the setup I have now is quite common around here and I think it's really been dialed in over the years for the 200 series. You're not experimenting with something that few people have tried before. This setup works!" makes a lot of sense and got me thinking. I know this is an old thread and things may have changed, but I would like to talk to you by phone if possible to discuss. _ Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom