There's ground clearance, and then there's portal axle ground clearance! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And those tires. The terrain and slop they guys drive through is pretty incredible.
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 11.02.42 PM.png

Last edited:
I missed the memo on portal axles. Down the rabbit hole I go….

Good God! The LC looked like the only one that really didn’t struggle, except for its 3 ton ass about to slide off the cliff.

Couple notes: You can create your own paths just bring a chainsaw, and be okay with after market pin stripes!

I've been in talks with werewolf 4x4 and their portals. They are ukrainian based. This is what I've learned so far :

17K a set for the 200 series, with 3k shipping
The salesman Ive been in contact with is adamant that its compatible with KDSS
They will discount multiple kits and combine shipping if there are other purchasers
It's 1.35 gear reduction at the boxes and give 5" of extra clearance
They recommend high positive wheels (+60 ET) which i think is to protect the portals and not have the track width get out of control
Each portal box takes .51L of 85-140 gear oil at 5,000 mile intervals
The housings are made of cast iron. Unsure of what kind of steel the gears themselves are made out of
The salesman also said that these are ok for extended highway driving

74Weld is a US based company making portals for jeeps

Their gear reduction is higher, and you gain 3.33" of clearance
The housings are aluminum

If i had that kind of cash laying around, I'd gladly be the first guinea pig!

Seriously impressive. The tires are a big part of the equation there, but the clearance definitely helps too. Despite the taller CoG they still hit some pretty serious angles and kept them on the tires..

I’d have trouble trusting the portals for long term use on a highway-driven rig but if conditions like in the video were a common occurrence, man they’d be hard to beat.

5” for 20K? Costs way less to cut and swap for 37s. But if money was funny, hell yeah.

treps are the sh*t !
These are mine

IMG_20220304_185406[1].jpg

No way they’re keeping the wheel speed sensors though right?

even with 37s you still wouldn't have the same clearance as a portal'ed 200 on 33s

View attachment 3173231

Thats true axle lift benefit for sure. Tire sizing and offsets are interesting to think about too…

What final ratio are you supposed to aim for here?

No way they’re keeping the wheel speed sensors though right?
It looks like the interface block from the stock axles to the portals has accommodations for the stock wheel speed sensor to interface with the stock ABS rings

Thats true axle lift benefit for sure. Tire sizing and offsets are interesting to think about too…

What final ratio are you supposed to aim for here?

Which ratio? The portals have a reduction of 1.35 to 1, so 1.35 x stock tire size will equal a stock 1:1 ratio

Here's an install video on a prado with BP51s. It's a humongous difference with the before & after. It looks like they give you rear calipers since the rear hubs are replaced

What a crazy modification.

What that spare hanging off the bumper weigh and how many fatalities has it caused when removal was attempted?

For me, I’d keep my 200 in its current form and take that grey 70 series as it sits. Of course, this is after I win the lottery.

What a crazy modification.

What that spare hanging off the bumper weigh and how many fatalities has it caused when removal was attempted?

For me, I’d keep my 200 in its current form and take that grey 70 series as it sits. Of course, this is after I win the lottery.

Who drew that 2 billy ticket? 1B$ cash lol
single person hit it supposedly.

Back on topic, i was curious;

9060A041-1010-4857-AD9E-79DC2992D31B.png

back off topic its what my lottery first purchase would be. No doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom