There's a New BJ70 in My Garage! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

really wicked work

Looks great. Nice to see your progress.

I picked this up today from Buck's. $21.00 including GST.

DSC03786.jpg

It literally is the same one as the one below sold at Princess Auto for $229.99 and which was on sale a few weeks ago for half that and I was considering buying one then. It's aluminum and very, very light. Ad says it can hold 250 lbs and not sure how it will hold up but for $20 I'll find out...and at least it'll look cool!

PAuto Roof Rack.jpg

PAuto Roof Rack 02.jpg

Just have to find or make some gutter mounts for it. Quick search on Kijiji yields some Thule mounts/bars for $80. Not sure how I'll do it, but it'll be mounted by Rubythaw!

That's a great score for that rack man!!

That's a great score for that rack man!!

You think so? I mean, it looks really purdy and all but it is very light. PA ad says 21 lbs, and my super accurate 1950's fish scale sys it's 18lbs. I know it is all aluminum, but not sure what the real utility will be, but I think it will be a good introduction to roof racks and to determine my necessity thereof. And as Jason said, I can always put it on the Tercel!

DSC03788.jpg

Fits perfect and looks pretty good too! Height would make it easy to load as well.

Anyway, new plan for the mounts. I figure there has to be a vehicle in the scrap yard with some sort of roof rack/bars that I can use so that's what I will search for first. Just wish I would have thought of that yesterday while I was there.

Well I wouldn't put an RTT two jerry cans and half a cord of wood up there but, yeah, if you were thinking about it at $100 more thats $100 more for in pocket.

Mine is 70lb
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1453592352.516064.jpg

Got 'er done today. Well, almost.

I went to the auto parts yard last weekend and found a roof rack that was damaged and took the gutter mounts off of it. They may not be the strongest, actually on two of them, the welds are cracked, but they'll do for now.

DSC03807.jpg

I thought I could just mount the rack to these mounts, but when I put them on my truck I had 48" between the mounts and the roof basket was only 40" wide. So now I needed a couple of bars to bridge the gap. I thought about getting the damaged crossmembers from the rack these came off of, but they were angled and too long and would have to be cut and joined together and just too much work. I was going to got to Metal Supermarket and just see how much 3" aluminum channel would be. Fearing that it would be expensive I went to Home Depot thinking I might find something there and did find some clearance aluminum railing pickets that would have been strong enough, but again they were not long enough so I would have to join them together.

I had concluded that the aluminum pickets from Home Depot would be the best option as they were under $2 each but since my work is near Bucks and I get Friday afternoons off, I decided to stop in to see what they had since they do not post their inventory online. Well, I was in luck again. I found a an with another roof rack on it.

DSC03805.jpg

This one is really nice and strong and just what I needed, Unfortunately, it was not a gutter mount. It was bolted directly to the roof of a van, which is kind of too bad because the mounts are 1/2" thick aluminum.

DSC03806.jpg

As you can see, on the bottom it is grooved to accept bolts so you can slide a bolt in and move the attachment points around without drilling any holes in the rail.

So I took my gutter mounts and drilled two holes in the top of each of them and attached my rails.

And this is the "finished" product.

DSC03810.jpg

The rails are probably too long, but I did not want to cut them yet. I also have to take it off again and paint up those white gutter mounnts so it looks a bit cleaner. But I'll drive it around for a while before I do that.

And finally, the piece de resistance!

While I was at Bucks, I also found a shovel and got it for $1.

DSC03808.jpg

Fits perfectly.

DSC03809.jpg

Nice work Larry.

You're hilarious. Love it.

To add to my posting in the wanted section, I was having trouble with hard shifting so I decided to take my 70 to a transmission shop and they are telling me my shift tower is shot and they cannot find one. Soon after I got her roadworthy I changed all the oils, including tranny and tcase, and bled the clutch and brakes. Although I didn't get a chance to drive it much before that, it seemed to shift perfectly well but after the oil changes the shifting went South. Thought it would be an easy fix since it seemed to be OK before I did this "simple" maintenance but now my tranny and TC are in pieces on their bench.

Feel free to weigh in.

so someone took your transmission apart? We have a shift tower out here if ya need only that….not sure why they would say shift tower to be honest. I've seen a couple failures and never in the shift tower...

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, but I was thinking about it all night and I too cannot understand the issue, but I'm not a tranny expert that's why I brought it to them. I figured something had got joggled out of place and figured I should get it fixed before I ended up making the problem worse.

Maybe if I give them a different shift tower and it doesn't solve the problem, they will be forced to find the real problem.

You tease. :p What are they? Pics?

You tease. :p What are they? Pics?

You're getting to know me very well.

Well, close you eyes Charla, I went to Buck's yesterday to see if they had put out an early '80's minitruck I had seen a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't so I thought I would have a look around and went to the domestic section, which I rarely ever do, and lo and behold, there was a Dodge truck with some really nice mud tires on it. The tires are in fantastic shape but the rims are only 5-bolt and the size is only 29" so I debated the purchase, but for $20 a wheel, I couldn't pass them up. They are Kelly Safari TSR's LT235/75R15 104/101Q. Good tires but not sure if they will meet the groups high expectation for wheeling :D.

Pics as requested.

IMG_20160319_1039181.jpg

IMG_20160320_1011564.jpg

IMG_20160320_1012090.jpg

But that wasn't all I bought!

I also found a brand new turbo while I was there. They had it inside on the shelf and I'm 99% sure it has never been installed. It is labelled as an Aireasearch M10. I know nothing about turbos, nothing, but from what I can determine from the net, it is a Garrett T3 with .42 A/R intake and .48 exhaust which appears like it should work for my 3B. There are very few markings on it, but it from a similar pic I found it looks like it is made for a Dodge vehicle. I'm not sure if it will be worth the hassle to install it, but I figured if I don't, I can always take it back or sell it on Kijiji (my other favorite place).

For now it will have to sit on the shelf until I figure out how to install it or if it will even work.

IMG_20160319_2049128.jpg

IMG_20160319_2048080.jpg

IMG_20160319_2048161.jpg

IMG_20160319_2048348.jpg

IMG_20160319_2048523.jpg

And lastly.

A couple of map pockets from an '86 Corolla to add to the door panels I made. And brown to boot, just like my interior.

IMG_20160320_1012556.jpg

Bucks is a gateway drug. You're hooked!

Your wrong Jason! It ain't the gateway drug, it is the drug!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom