The slider has landed after 30 years without (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Okay here it is the a long awaited rear full window slider for the Toyota FJ45 (not the center opening type window) but a one side open type slider as seen here. It works nice.
After a little over 1/2 year of researching and some hair loss, I had found a US manufacture of windows that was willing to take on the production of the FJ45 rear sliding window.
The company:
Hehr - California Window Plant
3333 Casitas Avenue
P.O. Box 39160
Los Angeles, CA 90039-0160
Phone: 323-663-1261
Fax: 323-666-2372

This company has been around for sometime and have several branches in different states and are a well know company. The one I received the first window from was the Las Angles branch ( contact information is as seen above).
With the professional guidance from the sales team I was able to produce this signal slider. Not the center opening type (pass through) on most trucks seen. See slider information and photos. A big thanks to A good Mudd man - tornadoalleycruiser for his second opinion help in looking at the overall possibilities of this slider. Thanks
Now I am not going to go into the long and drawn out how's, and the why this window is what it is, but will say I was lucky to get this one.
Long story short, it works, it moves the air in and out and round the cab in the summer, and when it rains and snows it keeps it dry and warm, if you have a working heater.
I took it out on a test drive with out side temp of 96 degrees to see if it would produce rattles, whistling or any other unwanted sounds but was just fine. With just the bug catcher window open and all others closed but the slider it was nice to feel the air on the back of my head as I drove (RHD). With all windows closed but the slider and the drivers window, it was even better.
As we all know everyone like pictures as they pretty much tell the whole story, so I have included enough photos of the window when it arrived from the factory, before installed and after to hopefully give you all aspects of this slider to answer any questions you might of had. I will say that you will have to modify the window before installing, and all this requires is removing 1/6" from both ends of the window frame with a file or a power tool. Now I place the window up against my cab opining to see about how much needs to be trimmed away, so each of you will have to make your own measurements before shaving the edge. All the FJ45 window cab openings are the same. It will not be much, just make your shaving as flat and without getting to much into the corners. I used 3/8 round butyl tape seal (window sealer/panel) that you can get at most any auto body paint shop and one roll is all you need. I used it on the cab outer seal on the window frame and then I used some 1/4 strips of spruce wood (see the one photo) to use as a spacer between the window clamp and window to give me a bit more pull when installing the sheet metal screws. You can use the butyl tape on both side and get good results also without the wood, I just elected to do it this way. Window did not come with screws I bought stainless steel hex head type (photo) and used a socket as I hate the Philips heads as you always strip out the head. Any questions I will be happy to answer as best as possible. Oh yeah it even has a screen that slides.
Now I am not the seller of this window, I am just the person who did the leg work to get one made for the FJ45, I leave the selling to the company that makes them and or whomever, just not me so please do not send me any money or orders, I just ask you just post you photos of your new installed window with your tips or thoughts on the window for others to see. One thing is, not everyone will be happy with the window and people will nick and pick, but if that's the case, remember the bottom line, its better than nothing at all and until now there was nothing. I'm glad I did it.
Okay with that said the Hehr gave the FJ45 window a part number of 1961-114-436-3535-1551. I paid around $350, I know this is a little more that some were thinking but that's the price. You can get lower prices with more than ten windows, just ask them.
Take NOTE:

Company is Hehr International
Window Part Number:
1962-114-437-3535-2551 with 002 ring (1/4" wall)

NOTE The 1962 at the first part of the part number represents if the windows opening is on the RIGHT.
If you want a the window opening on the LEFT side (LHD) you will need to use the number 1961 in place of the 1962
My truck is a RHD so I used right, 1962.
Window information:
1962: Sliding window with a 1-5/8" corner radius - The window is flat, no contour.
From the exterior view: The right half slides and the left half is stationary.
Glass is 3mm light gray tempered (2551)
Frame and clamp-ring are black (3535)
Window size is 114 (11-1/2")H x 437 (43-7/8")W

Part Number: 1961-114-436-3535-1551 Model 1962 opens to the left
1962 Model 1962 opens to the left RHD
1961 Model 1961 opens to the right LHD

As shown in the slider information the c glass is light gray tine and is nice.
Window price will be less for quantities10-19, or 20+. $40 packaging per order.
Freight may vary depending on quantity purchase and your area. Not sure about the oversea part of this but one can just ask.

Contact info below and ask for Farida: FSurujbhan@HEHRINTL.com
Hehr International Inc.
3333 Casitas Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Phone: 323-663-1261
Fax: 323-666-2372
Accept visa or MasterCard if preferred.

OH it takes about three weeks for delivery, less if you live in L.A.

8-12-20131-60 s 1.jpg

8-12-20131-60 s 4.jpg

8-12-20131-125 s 2.jpg

8-12-20131-125 s 3.jpg

8-12-20131-60 s 7.jpg

Last edited:
The mod and sealer

More photos

8-12-20131-60 s 10.jpg

8-12-20131-60 s 11.jpg

8-12-20131-60 s 12.jpg

REAR WINDOW 1fg.jpg

wood.jpg

The slider

Remember after the shaving of the side to file off the burrs and sharps, as they will scratch you and your paint. The window should fit into the recess of the cab window area.

8-12-20131-30 s.jpg

8-12-20131-40 s.jpg

8-14-20131-60 s 1.jpg

8-14-20131-60 s.jpg

8-12-20131-60 s 13.jpg

Slider

The corners of the cab window will be with a bit of a gap. This is because when the window frame is bent at the radius it is , it will shrink (pull in) giving that gap/ Not much one can do unless you make a thin sheet metal piece to go under it to give it fill. Just make sure it is got a good seal in the corners.

:popcorn:

8-14-20131-125 s.jpg

8-14-20131-125 s 1.jpg

8-14-20131-160 s 4.jpg

8-14-20131-250 s 1.jpg

8-14-20131-160 s 3.jpg

Slider for the FJ45 DONE

Ok that's about it for now, I hope you 45 owners are just as excited as I am, its been a long time coming for a sider for the FJ45, way passed due.
:cheers::steer::beer:

8-14-20131-250 s.jpg

8-14-20131-320 s 1.jpg

8-14-20131-320 s.jpg

8-14-20131-320 s 2.jpg

8-14-20131-125 s 1.jpg

1tontoy, they do offer a discount on orders on ten and more and so on. A group buy would be the way to go.

Pricing:

Part Number: 1961-114-436-3535-1551
1-9 $256.61
10-19 $230.95
20+ $218.12

As said the window will need the minor mod to install it but once in you feel that the 45 finely made it into the big time with a slider. I used the nice crate that the slider came in to store my original rear window and seal in and will store.
It's going to hit 102 degrees today and I am heading to the mountains and definitely looking forward to the extra breeze on the back of my head and in the cab.

Your welcome. enjoy :steer:

:cheers: Good Job on all your legwork! :clap:
Glad you hung in there.. And for those wondering.. it really won't be an issue to clearance the side. I have seen the radius and it will work. I would venture to say that you'll notice it for the first few times you look at the window but after that you will not notice anything but a breeze..

Well tornadoalleycruiser, you had a hand in this too, thanks. :clap:

I was asked today by a fellow Mudder, why did I go to all the trouble to get a rear cab slider made....................Hope this helps answer your question :beer::cheers:

You ALL do know that this picture was taken in the safety of my own driveway - no keys in the ignition and my wife keeping tabs on me as in I PAY FOR THE BEER

Cooler is next

lets see some of your slider installs posted

8-16-20131-250 s.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, the icing on the cake of a very sweet 45! Does anyone know if the this would fit a 1965 LPB? I will take the measurements you provided and double check, hoping they are same. If it measures out I would be in for one if it goes group buy.

Problem with a group buy is having to repackage them all and reship them to everyone. We measured a bunch of different years and didnt see a difference. We used my 64 top as a template as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

:wrench:
I was asked the other day by PM from a gent in Florida on why did I use the spruce wood spacers, is there a concern on spacing of the window frame.
The answer is no, no concerns. One thing is I did not have to shave the inner clap ring ends this way.
The other reason I used the small spruce wooden strips is kind of an accident really.
The sealer I used as described and seen in the photo is tacky, dense, and almost 1/2" round and made for window sealing, good stuff.
Being what it is, it needed to be compressed the sealant when installing, and I wanted a pretty good seal on the outside. I know if I tried to compress the sandwiched sealants with the inner ring and screws it would be just as good but I just wanted more compression, squeeze. I figured that I would place the more solid wooden strips around the inside of the window and then install the ring, drill the small holes for the sheet metal screws and then using a 1/4 ratchet would install all the screws and squish the outside sealant as flat as possible. Now being a tacky substance it would hold the window in place while I remove the inner retaining ring and wood to complete the next step of the sealant on the inner ring and then reinstall. Well it did so well and looked just as good I just left it in place as it was. That's why the wooden strips. One day I might remove the wooden strips and put the sealant on the inside ring clamp and go with 1/2 screws but for now it works fine.
Do go to your local hardware store and buy the 20 or so (3/4 long, not longer than that, or shorter if you wish) stainless steel sheet metal screw with the socket type head, works so much better than Philips head screws and don't torque (snug) them to the point you break of the head, then your screwed, no pun.....cheers

I agree on the group buy, it can be a hassle for the person receiving the sliders and then shipping out again. By the time your done you might of saved $20 or less. I do suggest just buy direct, it goes to your door in a few weeks or less. My 2 cents.

8-20-20131-13 s.jpg

8-20-20131-160 s.jpg

Last edited:
D'Animal said:
This is something I didn't even know I needed.

But after seeing it, I really Need One.

Of course, you always just keep your beer in the glove box.... :)

Great idea, those rear sliders are fantastic.

Dave, as was discussed, it would be better to buy individually than mass unless you want to ship lots of crates and have the space. Yes it was about two weeks unit it arrived at the door. It most likely would be less now that I have had one made and it is in their books with a part number.
good luck and post your info when you get it.
:clap:

I was asked today by a fellow Mudder, why did I go to all the trouble to get a rear cab slider made....................Hope this helps answer your question :beer::cheers:

lets see some of your slider installs posted
afraid that a slider will cause new belgium brewery to take off in sales, which would be bad since they are anti ohv :flipoff2:

but seriously cool minus the fact that new belgium is against us.

afraid that a slider will cause new belgium brewery to take off in sales, which would be bad since they are anti ohv :flipoff2:

but seriously cool minus the fact that new belgium is against us.

So you'd prefer a password encrypted version that only opens for PC beers?

:flipoff2:

This is seriously :cool: I wish I hadn't already made plans to take the top off THIS weekend to repaint the cap. Just have to add it to the to-do list.

I wonder if they'll let me pick one up at their shop?

HENDOG, you interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom