the SharkNet (a product build thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good job Dave!!!
Thanks @kelly saad, means a lot coming from Mr Grill! Hey quick question for you - I had been basing my grill years of 98-02 on the great post on TLCFAQ TLC FAQ from @RobRed which says the grill changed in 03 and 06.

But I noticed your grills are listed as 98-03, and 04-07... what changed exactly between 02, 03, 04, and then in 06? Is it possible my grill fits some later years that I have yet to get my hands on and test?

Ok, I need to update my info, there are 3 versions. 98-02 1st gen, 03-05 2nd gen, 06-07 3rd gen. 2nd and 3rd visually look like the same footprint but they are not. I have been dealing with that screw up for months now, as a test-fit vehicle has been tough to locate. I finally had my last test fit yesterday and it's good. The 2nd gen is the same shape as the 1st gen, the difference is the bottom, the valance is different, making the grille taller. The 3rd is the same as the 1st and 2nd on the top, but the grille is 1/2" wider on bottom and about 1/4" on top. Probably start over on the 3rd, but on the 2nd you should only need to drop the bottom down a bit lower, top corners might be the same; not totally sure because what you are modifying is quite different from what I have been doing. But maybe this info helps. 80 series questions next?:eek:

Quick update, that there's been.... no updates.

I took a couple weeks over the holidays where I just mentally shut down on all job fronts, including LSO and product dev. 2017 was just nonstop and so much dang work all the time, even vacations were exhausting, I really needed some downtime.

I'm slowly getting back in the saddle and will be making progress again soon.

If anyone with an 03-05 or 06-07 has a grill they can send me and live without for weeks/month I will install a finished grill in it for you for free. PM or email landsharkoutfitters@gmail.com.

Quick update, that there's been.... no updates.

I took a couple weeks over the holidays where I just mentally shut down on all job fronts, including LSO and product dev. 2017 was just nonstop and so much dang work all the time, even vacations were exhausting, I really needed some downtime.

I'm slowly getting back in the saddle and will be making progress again soon.

If anyone with an 03-05 or 06-07 has a grill they can send me and live without for weeks/month I will install a finished grill in it for you for free. PM or email landsharkoutfitters@gmail.com.

All good here. I hear ya on the work overload thing. Don't forget this is supposed to be fun!

Looking forward to the grill whenever you get it ready.

Cheers!:beer:

I still have that BNIB OEM grill for a 2001 LX (and a Lund Billet Grill aluminum insert too), if you are ready to work on the Luxury Cruisers? :)

I still have that BNIB OEM grill for a 2001 LX (and a Lund Billet Grill aluminum insert too), if you are ready to work on the Luxury Cruisers? :)
For sanity's sake I need to finish the LCs first, but yes that would be helpful. Email me landsharkoutfitters@gmail.com and let's chat - thanks

Finally got the train moving again - updated the 3D file of the sheet metal to match the as-installed location in the housing:

upload_2018-1-10_6-25-13.png

NERD BONUS - got to use my machinist ruler AND caliper at the same time!

Confirming the design with a plot and then off to the laser...

Printed the grill outline on a plotter and overlaid for fitment check. Very good, only couple small tweaks. Files ready to go out to be cut this week, Laser-schedule-dependent. Once I test fit, if assembles and bolts down like I expect, we are GO for official ordering, payment, and closing the group buy.
bItMnqsp8lr7m_7dggePwhyyIkx5rSLWciWIxptwZsnOF0IqBDUVM6zknrUXvnIAhtf28CVCNV5zTM2QwQ2OMIXqaI02Wjg2VK_G-AOSXDAS8oJrf3_8G3Bz5HJorLjs6kXgBrkWgo-CWxe1J5FRGLRbuWn8dI3Ta5gr_O4Mzn7xsPYDmTIgwXBn1yZ_9P1e9AURsg4Z1jU9hIydRkIwi8qm5WEQ6gt3cMKa2N-DFZ4NvSxR98m3BVV7rA21DJT6WAEEkvcdqZvvk25IZYE9yr6O-wsun8wGHL7G3BT7jrELyFxq66BXyysAI5S-Inv3rGr8sUYGlPAPbPmcU6hcKBQHUD83JaxV67F-CG1olRaM63q9BFjCqWWKmw8Fkr-5RxgVNFpELE8u4aDld5oEUTL9si8bWWhjQLXZ1eW0RLiNZbbyf3XJQIqhxJO8kVJVJCQNv6qooM7m5i9Rxj9eHdCaiTAZ32ZcPoCRsFagAI7JygAXTueYkw4rB02sOb4GZdWXPlEVTQgZMo2H578ZTY_2LBeOQzCmPNbA4pQoFXavxCZ1wHHwZGA9TNjmWftDNzuRC9-BakvmMc2p_cH-Xw9ITwvC0UEJ64dQEtDE=w814-h610-no

One of the steps you go through is optimizing for cutting - every square inch os metal unused is money down the drain, which is why you see this in two pieces (welded together then powdercoated over, you won't see the seam). Here flipping and nesting differently saves 17% - pennies count when 'Craft Manufacturing' items like this grill.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 8.04.16 AM.png

Does your shop reduce the cost since there's so much scrap that they can use for other jobs?
Good question, that's what I sort of expected as I got into this, but no. I thought maybe they would just use that internal space for other projects, but the problem there is the labor/time involved in setting up the cutfiles is not usually worth it just cutting from scratch on a piece they have nothing to work around. Sometimes they have a piece from a project they can save, but you need an accurate reference point like a corner to even make that worthwhile, or so I'm told, so these irregular shapes are only worth recycling to them.

youmjust need to find something else to cut at the same time... KISS light bracket or rear antenna bracket come to mind! :beer:

youmjust need to find something else to cut at the same time... KISS light bracket or rear antenna bracket come to mind! :beer:
lol, yeah, thought about that too - SharkBite is SS though, and this will be PC steel... actually have something else in mind but low on the priority list right now, maybe your "KISS light bracket" would be easier/quicker? PM/email your thoughts/specs, always open to ideas!

Would love one of these for my ‘98 LX470.... plans/eta?
Send me your grill plastic and it'll be next! (honestly don't know, sorry - month best case but I need a piece to measure/build to before I can commit to a schedule)

Send me your grill plastic and it'll be next! (honestly don't know, sorry - month best case but I need a piece to measure/build to before I can commit to a schedule)
PM Sent.

Group buy still open? I'm itching to replace the billet grill left over from the PO on my '02 LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom