The Old GOAT - 1988 FJ62 preservation

911nFJ60

911nFJ60

Hi all-

I recently became the new custodian for an original 1988 FJ62 with 142K miles. Pretty much everything works as it should, drives and stops fine, but with 33 years as a ranch truck and fly fishing guides rig, it needs just about everything inside and out.

Bumps and bruises all over, but I love and plan to preserve the patina.
Glamor shot

Original dash and the cleanest part of the carpets
Dash and carpet

Fly hooks in headliner are staying.
Fly hooks in headliner

Nothing says "Don't steal this POS" like some rust
Rear

The goal of this truck is to have a comfortable and reliable rig for the family to take skiing, hiking with dogs, SUPing and fishing around town and the back roads of Central OR.

Mechanicals, brakes, suspension, new tires, etc will be addressed first. The truck goes to Fit Garage here in Bend in a couple of weeks.

After mechanicals are sorted, I'll completely update the interior. Making plans for that now, although with supply chains what they are, the interior will be a Spring or Summer project...

Cheers,

Ron

Jamieson22

Jamieson22

Thought this looked familiar and just verified I reached out to seller on this one from FB Marketplace. Congrats!

surfcraft3

surfcraft3

Best of luck with it! Speaking of bumps and bruises...I'm sure that trailer hitch has claimed a few chunks of leg flesh in it's lifetime! Take caution when walking around your truck at night.

tmxmotorsports

tmxmotorsports

SILVER Star
Best of luck with it! Speaking of bumps and bruises...I'm sure that trailer hitch has claimed a few chunks of leg flesh in it's lifetime! Take caution when walking around your truck at night.
No joke there thats gotta hurt hope you don't have a swear jar will fill up off one hit of that thing

911nFJ60

911nFJ60

That was my exact thought when looking at the truck, and the first thing I ordered.

Arrived today...
Hitch

midknightc3

midknightc3

Hey now, I named mine first! She’s the Wandering Goat, but often goes by “Old Goat.” Copyright infringement aside, she looks like a great start to a great friendship. I’m jealous of her history, I’d love to do more fly fishing but that’s not something one does in the evening in central AZ.

Clark

911nFJ60

911nFJ60

Took advantage of the time off this weekend to start working on the interior. Ripped out the carpet and jute in preparation of a new set from on order from @dnp. Installed new seats as well.

Before:
8AAEFA05 CE95 41CB 94D8 273F7F9FEE80

Mid install. Drivers in
F9E8C4F3 5781 48FB 93B4 DEF94FC5A81C

Installed Scheel-Mann Vario F XXL with heat…

406Camper

406Camper

Took advantage of the time off this weekend to start working on the interior. Ripped out the carpet and jute in preparation of a new set from on order from @dnp. Installed new seats as well.

Before:
View attachment 2849871

Mid install. Drivers in
View attachment 2849875
Installed Scheel-Mann Vario F XXL with heat…
Wow! Those are nice, but expensive, seats. I never heard of them, thanks for posting. Looking for replacements for my Taco.

911nFJ60

911nFJ60

Been enjoying the truck in all this snow!

Had a bunch of work done since I got:
- New brakes, knuckles and hubs done
- New Blizzaks on the stock chrome wheels
- New muffler and exhaust
- New Dobinson suspension keeping stock springs
- Changed all fluids and tune up
- Wired up the seat heaters. So nice when it’s 24 outside!

Drives great, and no longer sounds like a Harley with that old rusted out muffler!

DF629AA0 2407 40BE 90F4 295EAFBE121D