The Official Fraken80?Schedule80 Build Thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cottonlander here lurking in the GA Cruisers clubhouse...hope y'all don't mind.

Nick - looking forward to watching the build. I just re-read Eric's original thread on this the other day. Are you planning to use a RHD steering arm and setting it up double shear? They are stupid expensive, but Hellfire sells a set of knuckles with larger trunion bearings and beef high steer arms that would be awesome on a project like this.

Good luck!

JT

Hey JT! It was good seeing you a GSMTR a few weeks ago. I dont have deep pockets, so i am going to try and mock up some stuff to basically make a homemade high steer kit and RHD steering arm. I am planning on "modifying" a steering arm on the DS (like the first picture, except I am also going to make a plate that will go on top (like in the 2nd picture) to make it double shear. On the PS I am just going to make a plate for the top of the knuckle like I plan to do on the DS too so both sides will be double shear. The project is going to be a little slow, because I have to go over to Decatur, AL to pick up the axle and i have to figure out when that can happen before anything else can really move forward.

modifiedsteeringarm.jpg
modifiedsteeringarmanddoublesheer.jpg

Why did you choose a 9.5" SF rear axle housing as opposed to the FF iteration? Was it just a "this is what I got for free" kind of thing or is there a design difference that makes the SF better?

Exactly what JT quoted from Eric Hagan's (Land Speeder) thread. The SF axle has a removable cover that you can flip and make a front axle...

What's going on in here?

That axle has moved to NC! So we should be seeing at an event hopefully!

Definitely keep me posted on fab days! I will try to come over!

That axle has moved to NC! So we should be seeing at an event hopefully!

Definitely keep me posted on fab days! I will try to come over!

I'll keep ya posted on when we work on the axle...it's gonna be A few weeks because I'm gonna be outta town the next 2 weekends

...via IH8MUD app

Hey Nick. You should post up here when you are going to have the next work weekend. If I'm off work I'll come observe/judge/heckle/laugh/etc. I MIGHT even help. :hillbilly:

I dont have deep pockets, so i am going to try and mock up some stuff to basically make a homemade high steer kit and RHD steering arm. I am planning on "modifying" a steering arm on the DS (like the first picture, except I am also going to make a plate that will go on top (like in the 2nd picture) to make it double shear. On the PS I am just going to make a plate for the top of the knuckle like I plan to do on the DS too so both sides will be double shear.
Nick, since you're cutting off and reinstalling knuckles, building custom steering arm components, and essentially custom fabbing everything on the housing anyway, have you considered a full hydro steering setup? It would add a new element for consideration under the hood, should be little difference in workload on the housing itself, but would ultimately be much heavier duty, much less complex without all the linkages and geometry, and would completely eliminate steering as a limitation to flex. Reroute your brake lines on top of the link arms or panhard bar when putting everything back together and now your only flex limiter is the driveshaft. And I don't know if there's any room to do it, but since you're building custom steering arms either way, see if you can get at least some of the linkage up and over the pinion behind the axle.

I think he is building a GMP slayer :hillbilly:
I can imagine this might be true.... did you see what GMP did to Franken80 last time it was there??? Can you say "revenge". Haha

I can imagine this might be true.... did you see what GMP did to Franken80 last time it was there??? Can you say "revenge". Haha

I once drove FrankenBeans at GMP with Nick in the passengHer seat. He couldn't get a word out going up I think Trail 5 (?), "I woul... OK. No I.... OK.... Don'... OK... WHEW!"
We made it to the top! Look ma, no spotters!

If'n I recall that correctly the end result was a bent tie rod me thinks.

I know right?! I was tryin to break so much more...

It was a draglink...

Steve- how much would full hydro cost?

...via IH8MUD app

I know u want the top of the line stuff. And Idk what all u need to go full hydro but northern tool sells all kinda hydro stuff including nortrac rams. Lee says they have every thing to make a full hydro steering kit. Also she can get u 20% off and warranties that cover accident so if u dent the ram or slam it on a rock it's a free replacement. She says to tell y'all psc can't compete with that lol.

From Da Hotel!!!

I know u want the top of the line stuff. And Idk what all u need to go full hydro but northern tool sells all kinda hydro stuff including nortrac rams. Lee says they have every thing to make a full hydro steering kit. Also she can get u 20% off and warranties that cover accident so if u dent the ram or slam it on a rock it's a free replacement. She says to tell y'all psc can't compete with that lol.

From Da Hotel!!!

I don't need top of the line stuff, I like stuff on the cheap, I have those short arms like Hagan. I was going to piece together a hydro assist kit, but I didn't know if you could for full hydro

...via IH8MUD app

Take a look on northern website anything u find lee can get at discount. and I'd be willing to deliver on a day y'all will be wrenching. You can't beat there warranty it's no questions asked. She says they got everything. Her manager has buddies that have them big mud trucks and he says they are using all parts from northern.

From Da Hotel!!!

wish i thought of northern tool lol. mine was pretty cheap but thats some really good deals!

U have hydro steering Patrick? Let me know if u need more parts or just for tools y'all take advantage of the deals now in a few months she may be at a new job!

From Da Hotel!!!

I'll just have hydro assist... Whenever I figure out how to install it haha

BUMP!
this coming weekend? nudge nudge

This past weekend was the first weekend I have been home in over a month and it was spent building stairs off our deck ...It is more than likely going to be the 2nd weekend in August when we will get to actually work on the Franken80

Think you can make it that weekend?

This summer has been REALLY busy :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom