Builds The new FJ 73 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got started on the tie rod drag arm install.
The steering arms are super hard and where a challenge to drill out on the car, I opened them up a bit with a die grinder and then honed them with a 5/8 drill bit.
Turned out really nice actually and the clearance for the bolt is very tight.
With the tie rod in place i measured up for the drag link, which i built basically the same as the tie rod but i didnt plug weld the sockets this time, the drag bar has 3/4 inch ends and hi misalingment spacer to reduce it back to 5/8 bolt.
The pitman arm hole is a hair to big for the 5/8 bolt, must be a bigger taper on the ball joint, it fits and works fine but i will in the future weld the bolt to the arm to reduce any side loading and keep it sitting paralel and square.

Decidied to move the pitman arm position to a more central position, found out there is a limited amount of turns on the steering box.

IMG_7740_zpsywuh1tut.jpg

test flex up and fit, turned out spot on
Its about 10mm off the bump stop and there is heaps of clearance alround still,

IMG_7751_zpsxftox3br.jpg

IMG_7746_zpsh58fvute.jpg

Steering Dampner bracket hot off the press,

IMG_7757_zpswxhmjtie.jpg

Had to shorten and section the dampner mount to get enough stroke.

IMG_7755_zpseueraafo.jpg

And then

IMG_7765_zpsahlsd1bu.jpg

Nice and shiney for a little while.

IMG_7768_zps3k7qcocv.jpg

IMG_7772_zpsfqnng68i.jpg

Definately freed things up all the old balljoints were shot. Haven't taken it for a serious drive so not completely sure, felt a lot more solid and positive that's for sure. Want to weld the pitman arm before a serious drive.

Still getting a decent case on the death wobbles here and there, so decided to do some wedges for the front axle.

Turned out about 3.5 degrees, didnt seems to make much of a difference, will have to get an angle meter and sus out how much i need.
Have tackled most of the usual proplems areas and am not getting much joy.
Will have another play with setting a bit of Toe out to see if that helps.

IMG_7776_zpsrmjuaomn.jpg

IMG_7780_zpskhue2aei.jpg

IMG_7781_zpsfo0pjtjp.jpg

Also got some boots for the rose joints, should help them last a little longer, got a bit of grease in each of the boots.

IMG_7784_zpsfmixbkhd.jpg

IMG_7789_zpsmzinazgx.jpg

IMG_7787_zpschl3k0zp.jpg

Have you tried taking the simexes off and running some other tyres to see if the death wobbles go away

No I'm fairly sure it would be smooth as silk.
Just trying to firm up all the areas to see if I can make them work. There's just such a big side wall and it doesn't help it sits for weeks at a time without being driven.
Will try some toe out and maybe another bag of balancing beads.

I've run those simexes for about 10 years and always had problems with the balance and death shakes on the road, I never tried the internal balancing beads but know a few people that have tried them and they all seamed to go away from them in the end, I solved my problems by buying a trailer and transport my truck around all my death shakes and wobbles are a thing of the past now, awesome truck mate keep up the good work :)

Got out today with a few Bundy's and a Patrol,
Awesome day,had the truck in all sort of comprimising positions most of the day.
Didnt miss a beat.

Used the winch for the first time on the truck got myself into a tricky little position.

IMG_7820_zpsoqi3adzd.jpg

One of my favorite photos in a while, testing out the new bar.

IMG_7851_zpsg3dqlm9e.jpg

IMG_7841_zpsdt7lgjx7.jpg

IMG_7844_zpsaggiuexe.jpg

IMG_7840_zps6yo2dx7t.jpg

Noticed how thin the pads where the other day.
So decided to do a bit of a freshen up on the front end.

The passengers side grease had all liquified to almost an oil consistancy, not sure if this was from water egress or what, the hub was fairly loose with the large locking nuts so may have leaks on the inner seal.This may be the cause of the staining dripping on the lower steering knuckle which I thought was weeping from the axle.

Will keep an eye on it in the future

Manual hub removed,

IMG_7881_zpsu2po4vt8.jpg

IMG_7888_zps9jn05zuf.jpg

clean axle,

IMG_7897_zpszzb6mboc.jpg

Dont know why they floated the discs on the rear of the hub but eh, need to take apart a heap of stuff to get to them.

IMG_7894_zpsrjo4kuwe.jpg

Studs pressed in the new discs

IMG_7895_zpsusrvjwf9.jpg

new v old, nothing in it,

IMG_7900_zpskww9hjea.jpg

IMG_7903_zpsiyhap2re.jpg

Had to make a makeshift socket for the large locking nut, which on opening up the hubs was very loose.Doesnt look like much but it got me to the required torque settings for the lock nuts.

IMG_7908_zpsdzfn2keq.jpg

I buy from those guys all the time, always cheap and always fast.

Built up a diff and drain cover, also threw a gusset on the top side of the pumpkin.
Will size up some gussets for the knuckles in the future.

Changed the oil after I had finished welding,mainly as a precaution, was pretty damm clean as the axles were rebuilt only 5 thou ago.
Didnt seem to show anysigns from the heat exposure from the welding.

IMG_7915_zpsfm096xrj.jpg

IMG_7917_zpscgnp8ntq.jpg

With a lick of paint.

IMG_7924_zpsmpbbozcu.jpg

IMG_7930_zpsm79c2bnu.jpg

Cheers pal,

Bought myself a JD squared bender, something I have wanted for a long long time.
Got a die to suit medium 32NB tube or 42.4mm od.

The hype is granted this thing bends so nicely, did a few 180 degree test bends and then it was straight into it.

Putting in the last bend for this section.

IMG_7936_zps9fg9gcsr.jpg

IMG_7938_zpsjkfdltsh.jpg

IMG_7942_zps3cfrhcpt.jpg

IMG_7951_zpspglu1sp9.jpg

IMG_7956_zpsjxqwifco.jpg

IMG_7959_zpsgy67qvnp.jpg

Got out this morning for some more Ouribah sessions, was a bit busy driving to shoot to much footage but had an awesome morning.

The truck took everything I could throw at it , christened both the brush guards and the diff plates.

Luke in the little Bundy that could stuck it out all day, conquering all.

IMG_7961_zpszyccmip1.jpg

IMG_7967_zpsro0evrq5.jpg

Except for here, lol

IMG_7963_zps29otnjdc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom