The Land Cruiser hut... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi mud. I have been sharing in the 80 series section a couple stories about my last endeavor which started about 10 years ago, I had just come from living in the USA and things where different in my country, the past government, the president and the paramilitary groups had almost defeated the FARC revels so there was this feeling of patriotism and safety that kind of gave the colombian people a new hope.

There was a time when travelling or doing any road trip outside the city could become the nightmare of a kidnapping, but this time was different, now we could plan vacations and trips. So my family came back to a place in the caribbean that my grandfather used to take us for vacation when we were kids, called Rio Cedro, located north of the coast of Cordoba, two hours from the city of Montería, it takes about 10 to 12 hours to get here from Medellín by car, it is one of the coolest road trips to do because it is a nice scenic road with lots of changes in altitude so it becomes a major attraction to climb up to almost 10000 ft and in less than two hours the road borders the Cauca river (second largest and most important river in Colombia). and the altitude becomes 300 ft above sea level. so it is a really beautiful drive.

So here I was, looking for a vehicle that could take me there in both seasons rain and dry, and what better option than a used LC. so the first rig that I got was a 1970 fj40, three speed, very rough but dependable cruiser. The first trip was a great experience, just something out of the ordinary, the 40 miles off road it takes to get there are not any road, sometimes it gets wet and slippery and it is hard on any truck. but the 40 just kept on going and going and it made me realize that a man needs his Land Cruiser.

So after some years of coming to grandpa´s hut which now was owned by my uncle, I started dreaming of having my own place there and i set up to asked and look around for a small lot in which I could build a small hut and just enjoy it every time we could.there were a few conditions about it, it needed to have a clear title, Land Cruiser accessible and have ocean view, also very affordable. :grinpimp:.

so Finally, last easter I found the owner of the lot i wanted and worked towards the realization of a dream...

SL273132.JPG

SL273147.JPG

SL273726.JPG

So after making the first road trip in the 40, the stiff ride makes a mark on the passengers, having a wife and a little girl, makes one think more about confortability so we got the 80, which has gained an impressive reputation in my family and myself, every trip on this rig is an experience you want to repeat over and over, for a 22 year old truck, there is nothing bad to say...

last trip, the 80 got the 40 set of tires, rainy season has started and the dunlops did great, i need a winch in case it gets to bad, but so far we are fine...

20160428_164105.jpg

20160428_172300.jpg

20160501_122644.jpg

When can we visit?

:grinpimp:

some pics from the road trip two weeks ago...
the view from matasanos, (sanekiller) is the first part of the trip, ideal to be on the road around 4.30am in order save time on the road, a couple hours later the road becomes full of trucks and 18 wheelers...

The road from Montería to Arboletes leads to a croosroad called Las cruces, right turn north and we are in our way to Rio Cedro...
The road takes you thru an open field of small hills and cattle farms...

20160425_063226.jpg

20160425_114509.jpg

20160428_123704.jpg

20160428_124108.jpg

20160428_163801.jpg

Im not an experience camper but have done my research, resources are limited but try to get the most out of what´s available, working with these people have showed me a way of being resourcefull.
Was able to negotiate 4 big teak trunks, beautyful wood, so columns are teak!, the paths are so slippery and muddy from first rains that is best to bring the planks of wood in a panga.(boat).
An organic ripe papayuela for less than 30cents, plantains, bananas, mamey, mangos, and good fish, lobster for around 2 dollars a pound. good stuff...

20160428_080321.jpg

20160429_142458.jpg

20160501_133103.jpg

20160502_084217.jpg

20160501_155440.jpg

I have been working on the LC to get to good running condition so making these trips as safe as possible, brake work done before last trip...
put on the dunlops, grandtreks 32, have worked good so far. a bit noisy but great on sand and mud...
20160420_160042.jpg

Hi Mud. so far the hut is coming along quite well, the palm for the roof is ordered, cost about 70 dollars for the three jornales.
waiting for pictures as I left the place a couple weeks ago, and im preparing for next trip.

On the other hand, the 40 in the first pics of the thread was sold to my uncle; now is going through some body work and paint, the plan is to keep it in Monteria city, so we can travel by plane from Medellin. it would be a two and a half hour drive in the forty to Rio Cedro and would save time and money.

20160502_141736.jpg

20160502_172356.jpg

20160420_132610.jpg

20160420_132626.jpg

This whole thread is awesome, thanks so much for posting it. The Land Cruiser is about adventure, and that's exactly what you're sharing here. Must of us are reading this in a comfortable chair in some air conditioned building. Bravo to you for bringing us some mud and simplicity today.
Cheers!

subscribed :cheers:

Chainsaw in flip flops with a human saw horse. The only thing missing from that picture is BEER~!

This whole thread is awesome, thanks so much for posting it. The Land Cruiser is about adventure, and that's exactly what you're sharing here. Must of us are reading this in a comfortable chair in some air conditioned building. Bravo to you for bringing us some mud and simplicity today.
Cheers!

Thanks #bicycleagent003, one of my purposes for posting is this, to tickle you guys out there to plan and visit here. You will not regreat it.
My goal is to have this place set with a bathroom, water, and basic stuff to make life easy. now I hire a cook that sends me the catch of the day for the meals. plantains and banana are always on the menu.

20160426_104017.jpg

20160430_193448.jpg

Subscribed! Reminds me of my homeland... Sri Lanka. Very tropical! The hut looks amazing and the fresh sea food even better!

Anyone driven that far south from the US in a LC? A road trip would be so cool! :)

Hi mud, got some pictures from the hut that where sent to me this week from the engineers :grinpimp::wrench:, the roof structure is up and they started the floor upstairs. this week im suposed to get more pics from the palm roofing.
Thanks all for your interest.

planning on doing a the first floor above the ground about 2 feet.
IMG-20160528-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20160528-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20160528-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20160528-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20160528-WA0005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom