The Green Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I am brand new to owning and working on Toyota, particularly Land Cruisers. I had a 2014 Chevy Silverado that I did a lot of work on and loved, we had a storm come through and it blew the one tree I have in my yard down. As luck would have it, it landed on my truck and ended up totaling it. This sent me on the pursuit of a new truck or SUV. In 2022 I went on a trip to South Africa where we hunted out on a farm and they all drove either a Toyota Hilux, Land Cruiser Prado, or a Land Cruiser 79 Bakkie.

IMG_0851 (1).PNG
IMG_2324 (1).JPEG

This got me thinking, I have a baby now and couldn't fit the car seat in the back seat of my old truck so why would I need to buy another one just like it? All the trucks in my price range were higher mileage and I knew from experience that meant new motors and or new transmissions. I didn't love the look of the Tundra’s so I felt stuck. Then I stumbled upon IH8MUD and all of you guys. I started looking for a Land Cruiser or a GX that I could modify and make my own. 2 months and a lot of looking I found a 2011 Land Cruiser 200 with 150,000 miles that was near the top of my budget but it was love at first sight. I've always had black trucks and this one was a cool Amazon Green. I went on down to the dealer who had it and bought it the morning after they listed it. (unfortunately, I lost the pics I took of it when we bought it)

Within 3 weeks of owning it, I started noticing some issues. Oil on the garage floor, the power steering fluid starting to get a little lower, a little coolant leak, and a rattle noise when I would cold start. Then I thought, oh crap what have I done. This LC200 is supposed to last forever, they shouldn't have these issues. I put it up on our car lift and got to looking and noticed the oil was coming out of the pan seal. That's no problem just need to take it off and clean out the silicone, change out the old gasket, and reseal it, easy job.

I started doing research on the power steering system and where to look for the leak. Then I found it, the steering rack had a busted seal and needed to be replaced. I'm pretty handy and love working on cars and trucks but this one I knew was going to be rough.

I took it to a local shop to have them look at it and confirm my suspicions and sure enough it needed to be replaced. They also diagnosed the rattle had to do with the timing chain. One of the tensioners had either failed or broken. I got the quotes and had them do the timing chain and I said I would tackle the steering rack. We also determined the rear shocks were shot, so logically I needed an all-new suspension system.

I really don't know what I'll do with the Land Cruiser as far as off-roading goes. I felt that buying a $4k off-road suspension system that I may or may not take off-road would be overkill to start with. I ended up choosing the Ironman 4x4 stage 1 Nitro Gas Suspension kit. I got the medium load for the front and the Medium plus for the rear. After getting all the parts in I had the garage do the timing chain and started researching how to do the steering rack. 2 weeks later the shop finished the timing chain and I got it back and went to work on it later that week.

IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg

We started on Thursday at 3:00 and worked on getting the old steering rack out. We finally managed to get the old one out by 9:00 that night, and it is not for the faint of heart. Some notes for the next person. Take the sway bar off (we did that the next day), remove the oil filter housing unit (we did that the next day), also if you are doing front suspension at the same time, you can gain a lot of room by removing the front coil overs (we also did this the next day).

IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0802.jpg

The next day we removed everything that would have been in the way and got the new rack mounted with fewer problems. It wasn't easy but we managed to get everything secured, got the hoses and steering link attached, and everything we took off back on. We started this at 12:00pm and finished it by 7:00pm. We then did the front and rear suspension, topped off the fluid, bled the power steering and took it on a test drive. We finished the project at 12:30 am

IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg

The next morning, I checked everything over, put the stock skid plate on, took off the OEM Running Boards, and went to the car wash. I love the way it turned out and am super proud to have completed a job like this. Now it's off to the shop to get aligned!

IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg
LC back.jpg
LC High Right.jpg
LC Right.jpg

My future plans include;

New Tires- BF Goodrich KO2's (Next week) - any advice on tire size would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on keeping the stock wheels for now, I'll stick with 18" rims. Looking to do something like what @wiseinvestor did with his DIY Heritage rims

Roof Rack

Front hidden winch - I duck hunt a lot and getting stuck in mud is part of the fun

Sliders with steps

Skid Plates

I am new to this but am loving the community! Hopefully, you enjoy "The Green Machine"!

I am new to this but am loving the community! Hopefully, you enjoy "The Green Machine"!
Welcome. Can go wrong with either 275/70 (Taller) or a 285/65 (wider)

Congrats! That's a clean Amazon Green rig. Need to get some pics in the sunlight. Love that color.

beautiful

once you get the maintenance items done - should last a long time

i went with taller 275s in my truck. Waiting for my bilstein suspension

i just did green Ironman on my 100 series

Welcome to the board and thanks for the stout intro post. I'm sure some of us will benefit from your steering rack install experience sooner or later. Keep us posted on the tires!

That's a rare find in a very sought after color for your first Land Cruiser. If you ever sell it, karma suggests you post it up on Mud classifieds first to give another Cruiser addict first chance. Welcome!

You are in the right place, nothing else is out there better than MUD citizens always willing to help and give their opinions on almost anything. All this post and none gave you the official Welcome? WELCOME to MUD :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :rofl: (It's the official welcome and don't get mad.)

Great color LC and good to see you took care of the issues right away, I know it's not cheap but it will pay off in the long run and your kids will love it.
I know you mentioned about the chain being noisy did you have it fixed? I am not familiar with these engines but seem a bit early for 150k miles.

Before I forget, WARNING! don't go to CHAT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are in the right place, nothing else is out there better than MUD citizens always willing to help and give their opinions on almost anything. All this post and none gave you the official Welcome? WELCOME to MUD :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :rofl: (It's the official welcome and don't get mad.)

Great color LC and good to see you took care of the issues right away, I know it's not cheap but it will pay off in the long run and your kids will love it.
I know you mentioned about the chain being noisy did you have it fixed? I am not familiar with these engines but seem a bit early for 150k miles.

Before I forget, WARNING! don't go to CHAT. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The timing chain tensioner is a known weak spot across all the models with the 5.7 (usually the driver's side). A lot of us run 5w30 to quiet it down.

KO2's are on and they look and feel incredible. There's a little rubbing on the right front mud flap. I do want to get these flush with the wheel well before I get to trimming.

Has anyone on here added wheel spacers to factory rims and if so how many inches did you do on the front and rear? I'm thinking I'll need to put 1 inch on the front and 3/4 on the rear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
72152397963__DD8AB1E3-7F11-4423-BE62-79372AC52673.jpg
72152399383__84B14D48-1B1A-4925-BA46-3C6D4F560F86.jpg

I'll get some good day light pictures soon

Last edited:
KO2's are on and they look and feel incredible. There's a little rubbing on the right front mud flap. I do want to get these flush with the wheel well before I get to trimming.

Has anyone on here added wheel spacers to factory rims and if so how many inches did you do on the front and rear? I'm thinking I'll need to put 1 inch on the front and 3/4 on the rear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
View attachment 3481081View attachment 3481082

I'll get some good day light pictures soon
1.25" will put your wheels right at flush with the wheel wells, very close to what a +25mm offset wheel gives you. This is what most people run with that wheel. When I bought my cruiser, the prior owner had put 2" spacers front and rear with 275/70R18 Goodyear Duratracs (on those exact wheels) and a small lift and it didn't rub with some trimming and the front mud flaps removed.

As said above, 1.25" is the easy button. Anything less, and you have to have the right wheels to accommodate. The factory wheel studs stick out about 1.125", so a 1" spacer or less they protrude the spacer. The wheel has to have cutouts in the hub face, or you have to trim the studs to run those.

That's a mighty fine looking Amazon Green 200 Series. That's seriously a major lust vehicle for me. Enjoy it.

Congratulations on your 200 Land Cruiser ! I don't know how I missed your original post. Love the mods you've done already. Good to meet one of the 2011 Amazon Green siblings. There were only 1,600 LCs sold in the U.S. in 2011 (a low production year) and some have guessed that only about 1% of the color sold were Amazon Green. If you believe that, we are talking 16-20 Amazon Greens sold that year in the U.S. Enjoy!

Congratulations on your 200 Land Cruiser ! I don't know how I missed your original post. Love the mods you've done already. Good to meet one of the 2011 Amazon Green siblings. There were only 1,600 LCs sold in the U.S. in 2011 (a low production year) and some have guessed that only about 1% of the color sold were Amazon Green. If you believe that, we are talking 16-20 Amazon Greens sold that year in the U.S. Enjoy!
Loving the green, had to do a bit of work to get it back in shape from the previous owner but it's running good now! I've always had Black and Grey vehicles so the green was a big step out of what I know. My brothers and I used to make fun of green cars until we saw this shade of green. I love how it appears darker or lighter depending on the light. It does have some scratches from the previous owner so it may end up in the body shop here soon.

Quick question for the group. My fog lights are not turning on anymore. I had it in the shop and they looked into it some more and said the connections were good and the switch was working fine. They diagnosed it as a problem with the Body Control Module. Any advice as to whether I should replace the BCM (can't find one currently) or should I directly wire it to a switchboard like the SDHQ one? Has anyone had this issue before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom