The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, it really doesn't need its own thread, but since it's mainly for farm chores, seems like a good place to put it.

A couple weeks ago on of my draftsman tells me about this place close that had lots of JDM stuff. I got on their site and sent Erin a couple cool links. A couple days later I'm having that conversation and the next thing I know we are working out picking up her new farm truck.

1991 suzuki Carry, 4x4 with rear diff locker. She has wanted one for years and the stars aligned. I dig it. It's a cool little truck, very clean and low mileage.
IMG956617.jpg

IMG956616.jpg

IMG956614.jpg

IMG956613.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

Erin is 4'10" if that tells you anything about how tiny this truck is.

We found a place in Missouri that has lots of support. Ordered tune-up parts, a 2" lift and a set of 23x8r12 DOT approved tires on new wheels. Erin took a girls weekend with her mom and
sister, so me and lil'bit took on the task today.

IMG954293.jpg

This is the only pic I got of her, but she hung with me thru the whole install. I had her involved on every part. We had fun.

It still needs the toe aligned, but it really made a big difference in how it sits.

These shackles are huge.
IMG954298.jpg

Before and after
F234771C-.jpg

70FE4799-.jpg

We pulled it out into the sun to see how it looks.
IMG_4321.jpg

I have a few other things in mind, but next will be getting the plugs, wires and filters and oil changed.

Erin is happy, so I'm happy.

Trying to motivate myself. I got the old rug from the house and cleaned up my seating area.

20220215_203616.jpg

Going to get a dumpster soon to clear out some of this collected junk. Time to get this place in better shape

Trying to motivate myself. I got the old rug from the house and cleaned up my seating area.

View attachment 2926129

Going to get a dumpster soon to clear out some of this collected junk. Time to get this place in better shape
Looks like a great spot!!

Contractor came over today and says he will have me a price for a 40x45X14h pole barn with about an 18' leanto. Price will include concrete.
The drum roll started as he left the driveway. He said he will get me a rough estimate this evening.

Contractor came over today and says he will have me a price for a 40x45X14h pole barn with about an 18' leanto. Price will include concrete.
The drum roll started as he left the driveway. He said he will get me a rough estimate this evening.
He tossed us a price. WAY less than we expected or even budgeted for. Post frame. I have to go to the County and see if I need a permit for anything other than electric.

He tossed us a price. WAY less than we expected or even budgeted for. Post frame. I have to go to the County and see if I need a permit for anything other than electric.
Considering the current state of the market, less than expected is a super big bonus.

Sounds like the Heifer homestead is coming along nicely. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Rightnow it sounds as though I need a full permit with inspections. :bang:
I know 50 people who have built these things without the county's permission. Guaranteed if I do it I will have to tear it down.

So apparently an old school barn raising where 20 of your closest Amish friends come over and toss up a structure are no longer legal - at least here.

Now the county says I need a variance because my residence is not on the same plat as the barn will be.
Boo!

Is this not considered an ag structure or a accessory structure? I know codes are different, but that seems a little overboard for a Barn/ shed with power.

Ours is an ag structure and while I went and got the permit because if I wanted to run a separate electric service to it, they would have asked for the permit, but if I hadn't originally planned that, I wouldn't have worried with it.

Also, would it be easier to have the plat combined to one so it is all one parcel, then you don't need the variance for any future things you do. Might not be worth it, but I know around here combining plats for properties is pretty common.

Either way, just means more time waiting. And fees, fees is the real reason, write me a check and you can do whatever. Then write me another one to inspect it, then another when I find something stupid to make you have to pay me to come back for a reinspection, and on and on it goes.

Sucks man :confused:

There may be a loophole. We finally found it in the Unified Land Development Code. I should be able to file a paper for an exemption as an Ag building. I am going to call inspections today to ask a couple questions.
I thought there was a Ag exemption (which I can easily meet) but the County website changed ommitting the info. I think too many people are trying to get it so they do not want to help anyone out by pushing them in the right direction.
They are rewriting the code right now but last years code was adopted by the Commissioners last month so I should be good.
I will need a permit for electrics and am limited to 125 amp. I have two electrician friends that I can talk to about that.

Accessory structures here can not be built on plats that do not have a residence. We looked into combining the plat but as you say, it would be costly and time consuming. We will look back at that next year after the house is paid off.

Well that sounds like a good time...

I was able to get past planning and zoning. I merged two plats per his suggestion so my residence is on the same plat as the shop. Now I will have only three properties instead of four. When selling this will actually help me. 15 acres just grew to 16.68.
That got me where I need to be. According to the code I just need to get the Zoning Verification signed and then I can build a pole barn up to 4000 square feet for "storage". I can add an electrical service up to 125 amps. Not sure yet if I will add another meter or just come off the meter that is on the adjacent building. That building has 125 amps but just runs some lights and 8 outlets. I will have to get my electrician buddy over for a consult.

Anyway, I am on the list and construction should start in about 4 weeks and take two weeks to complete weather permitting.

So, combining plats wasn't as painful as previously thought?
Ez pz. The girl at the desk filled out a form with the plat numbers and i signed it. No fee. Just like that

Well, not as much as I had planned to do, but I did start working in the end wall. Ran out of lumber. I'll get more this week and hopefully get a few sheets of plywood up next weekend.
20220501_173153.jpg

Figure I gotta get going and I'll just buy a little along the way that way it won't hurt so badly. Besides, I don't have enough room to store all the material needed at one time anyway.

Well, it really doesn't need its own thread, but since it's mainly for farm chores, seems like a good place to put it.

A couple weeks ago on of my draftsman tells me about this place close that had lots of JDM stuff. I got on their site and sent Erin a couple cool links. A couple days later I'm having that conversation and the next thing I know we are working out picking up her new farm truck.

1991 suzuki Carry, 4x4 with rear diff locker. She has wanted one for years and the stars aligned. I dig it. It's a cool little truck, very clean and low mileage.
View attachment 2902439
View attachment 2902440
View attachment 2902441
View attachment 2902442

View attachment 2902443

Erin is 4'10" if that tells you anything about how tiny this truck is.
fantastic!

We've had one of those screen curtain things across the back doors for a few years. I despised it and it was constantly getting knocked down. I'd told Erin I was going to put up screen doors for a while and finally after all that talk, I did something about it.

20220514_134730.jpg

We still need to stain and seal them, but they are up and the screen curtain was cast into the yard.

Last Sunday while I was in Christiansburg Va, I spotted two 55 hulks and 45 pickup. Since you have the start of a good herd or Cruisers on the farm, you might be interested in some possible additions.
The address was
1225 W Main St, Christiansburg VA 24073
Good luck and great hunting
20220717_104720.jpg

20220717_104625.jpg

20220717_104601.jpg
20220717_104657.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom