The canal boat (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, those cracks look nasty. I've seen them on a few 80s, but all of them had a hard life on gravel roads or working in forestry.

Radiator looks nice, though.

Wow, those cracks look nasty. I've seen them on a few 80s, but all of them had a hard life on gravel roads or working in forestry.

Radiator looks nice, though.
His truck has had a rough life, he has had nothing but problems with it seemingly.

His truck has had a rough life, he has had nothing but problems with it seemingly.

Nothing that is surprising for a 33 year old vehicle from another country

And I bet if more people looked, they'd see cracks.

Frame cracks on vehicles with a steering box and panhard/trac bar mount in the same spot are very common.

Look at dodge trucks.

Also little update from yesterday.

Somehow I thought I'd replaced my radiator hoses previous. Curse of owning so many cars. Well I reviewed my maintenance logs and low and behold I hadn't. So I ordered a set.

More work today
Pulled the valve cover. Intake tube. Timing cover. Timing belt. Upper timing pulley. Water pump.

I installed the new pump. Put the timing belt back together. Installed the tie rods on the rear of the axle.

Tomorrow I'm going to check the valves and see if I need to order shims.
I'm going to prime and paint the valve cover.

20230903_182000.jpg

More work today
Pulled the valve cover. Intake tube. Timing cover. Timing belt. Upper timing pulley. Water pump.

I installed the new pump. Put the timing belt back together. Installed the tie rods on the rear of the axle.

Tomorrow I'm going to check the valves and see if I need to order shims.
I'm going to prime and paint the valve cover.

View attachment 3419239

Did you replace that spring on the timing belt idler pulley?

They're a known failure item and a sub $20 part.

Checked clearances today
20230904_105843.jpg

20230904_105848.jpg

I need to go order 4 shims and drop em in.

I pulled the turbo pipe for the valves. I decided to smooth the casting flaws and paint it.

20230904_123346.jpg

20230904_124108.jpg

I'm going to paint it and aluminum silver color.
I'm going to do the valve cover in a graphite.

But I want to see if I can find this decal

1000007609.jpg

Thanks for posting that picture.
I paid full dealership beans for my radiator. I wanted to stand at the parts counter and inspect it for damage while a person was standing there just in case.

Thanks for posting that picture.
I paid full dealership beans for my radiator. I wanted to stand at the parts counter and inspect it for damage while a person was standing there just in case.

Same. Local dealer knows me though because I'm always ordering weird parts

Diesel fuel filters and such

I've been struggling to get motivated to finish this.

Funny thing is, I needed it last weekend for some sad stuff and since it wasn't done I rented a gls63 AMG off turo.

I called in tonight at work and finished it

All told i
Verified valve clearance
Installed 5 new shims
Replaced the water pump
Replaced the radiator
Replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses
Replaced all 4 tie rod ends
Cleaned up some engine bay stuff
Replaced the grill with the correct version. This made a huge difference the old grill never fit right.

20230913_015742.jpg
20230913_015751.jpg

Last edited:
Also I replaced the hood struts. It's amazing how little weight the old ones would support. The new ones are actually an effort to close. The old ones, if I bumped the hood, they'd fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom